Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

(yawn, nevermind) Federal Trade Commision Complaints against DJI and Epson

Pilgrim Pilot

Reaction score
DJI and Epson both have been advertising that they work closely together to ensure that their products work well in combination.

The RC1B controller for the Mavic Pro 2 will not connect to the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses, and DJI and Epson confirm that they have known this for a while, and there is no fix.

After two wasted days (literally) of troubleshooting, phone calls, researching, installing, uninstalling, doing everything five times, I don't know anything else to do other than to return what I purchased, and file complaints with the FTC.

I don't usually complain, but I've been planning this purchase for several years, and I have a lot of time and actual work invested in what I thought would be a wonderful combination of technology, only to find out that these two companies don't actually deliver what they advertise.

There is a lot more I could say, but much more and I'd be whining.

For what it's worth, I did everything I could to get in touch with people 'at the top' in each company, and I informed them that if there was no solution they could offer, that I would be filing a complaint with the FTC.

Have you experienced this issue? Please share here, or send me a message, so that I have as much information as possible. I plan on filing the report after this weekend. Someone from DJI is supposed to call me today, from across the ocean, so I'll wait to see what comes of that.

Thanks.

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
If you live in the Tampa Bay Area, I could consider swapping an A I have for a B.
I originally had an A, but bought a 2nd used remote to set up as a secondary/slave. I don't really need both to be an A.
I want to have at least one A though in case I decide to get a BT-300.

RayOZ

Reaction score
I don’t quite understand. They are 2 different companies. I didn’t think they are obligated to make their products to work with 3rd party manufacturers unless their product specs says they do. Wouldn’t it be like complaining your Mavic RC doesn’t work with Autel drones?

Reactions: Flycaster

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Not really. Epson markets the BT-300 to be compatible with DJI products and markets that they work with DJI to be sure it does.

It's more akin to a well known and respected third party accessory specifically made for a Ford but with the recent model Ford, it no longer works.

I grant you the weight is on Epson to fix this, but if DJI won't cooperate in providing what the change was that broke it, there's not much Epson can do. Still, Epson can state that if that's the issue.

Remember, the BT-300 has been out for a long time. There are newer models, but none that directly connect to our remotes or any mobile devices that don't have dedicated HDMI ports.

RayOZ

Reaction score
If the BT-300 has been out for a while, maybe they are not compatible and Epson would have to R&D to develop a newer version to support it.

Pilgrim Pilot

Reaction score
After stewing for a few hours, I decided not to file a complaint. If it were my company, I wouldn't want such a thing simply because a product series hit a snag, and that's really all that's happened here. It's not like they've suddenly introduced a new product, and promised something that was never developed.. They actually have provided exactly what they advertised, up to this recent 'up'-grade.

I will update the other couple of threads I mentioned this in here, for the sake of the conversation.

Pilgrim Pilot

Reaction score
If you live in the Tampa Bay Area, I could consider swapping an A I have for a B.
I originally had an A, but bought a 2nd used remote to set up as a secondary/slave. I don't really need both to be an A.
I want to have at least one A though in case I decide to get a BT-300.
I would pay you to ship it to me, and I'd swap mine for yours. I don't think they'll appreciate it too much, though if I send the A back in the box, so give me a couple of days to think about whether I'm going to keep this or not. I appreciate the offer! These controllers are $400 most places online.

Pilgrim Pilot

Reaction score
Yep, and it is reciprocal: DJI markets their drone and produces content (videos, brochures, displays at trade fairs, etc..) and tells everyone the same thing as Epson, that they work closely together to make sure these products work..

I'm not sore about it anymore, but I just spent a lot of money, only to have a sudden realization about corporate America that I already knew.

Not really. Epson markets the BT-300 to be compatible with DJI products and markets that they work with DJI to be sure it does.

It's more akin to a well known and respected third party accessory specifically made for a Ford but with the recent model Ford, it no longer works.

I grant you the weight is on Epson to fix this, but if DJI won't cooperate in providing what the change was that broke it, there's not much Epson can do. Still, Epson can state that if that's the issue.

Remember, the BT-300 has been out for a long time. There are newer models, but none that directly connect to our remotes or any mobile devices that don't have dedicated HDMI ports.

Pilgrim Pilot

Reaction score
If the BT-300 has been out for a while, maybe they are not compatible and Epson would have to R&D to develop a newer version to support it.
At this point, gathering from conversations with Epson and DJI on the phone and in e.mails, things were working fine until DJI updated the controller. DJI and Epson both are looking into what caused the problem and (hopefully) what will be a solution. No mention of a solution yet from them, I'm just hoping.

All in all, everyone I have spoken with today and yesterday on the phone has been really professional, and skilled at handling my situation and irritatedness.

I'm just wondering now whether I should hold onto this equipment, or return it all, get my money back, and sit on it for another six months until everyone comes out with their next generation of stuff.

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I'm sure you can make great use of what you have besides the BT. As I said here or elsewhere: don't throw out the baby, bassinet, soap, shampoo, with the bath water.

Stitch-Up

Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread on this incompatibility matter, I did cancel my order for the Epson BT300!

Having spent a bit of time reading/researching I'm of the opinion the BT300 is now quite 'old' and badly in need of an update - Android 5 has been history for a while.

I won't be buying the Moverio in they're current format.

twoheadlines

Reaction score
While I'm sure it's a real pain in the butt which I can relate to in another area of compatibility between a DJI product and in my a case Canon, involving the FTC would probably only muddy purely commercial waters. And for you, it would also expend a great deal of energy which might better be directed at looking for other solutions to meet your aspirations. If you were to look at a complaint, it may well be focused at Epson's marketing claims, but I suspect both DJI and Epson have quite strong arguments in support of why their respective product does not/will not communicate with each other.

Welsh pilot

Reaction score
I ended up buying an RC1A second hand off ebay for them to work
I will never use a phone or tablet again.
I know the design is old but quite frankly they are better than anything in my opinion as the experience when flying is awesome and this is coming from a 54 year old!
Mind you the new drone law coming out in the UK makes reference to AR glasses and say that they too will be illegal to use!
Not sure though I will stop using them.
I still have the RC1B and perhaps one day there will be a solution.
I’m pretty sure I was the one who started all this fuss 6 months back with compatibility and now it seems it may be getting closer to being resolved.

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I don't get why govt would have issues with AR. With AR, your eyes can always be positioned in sight of the AC, even when you shift focus to the app screen. Are they eventually going to start prohibiting graphical controls while in flight?

Reactions: Welsh pilot

Harbrimar

Reaction score
”Mind you the new drone law coming out in the UK makes reference to AR glasses and say that they too will be illegal to use!”

@Welsh pilot - Not saying y’wrong but can you point me in the direction of where this is stated? There is a restriction on wearing FPV goggles without a spotter or going beyond visual LOS but I cannot find anything that would exclude Moverio type glasses.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fifth Wing