DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yes, you can fly in the cold.

Not to be outdone....

This morning it was -33C (-27F). I made a 23 minute flight covering 5.4Km or 3.37 miles. I took off with a battery temperature of 22.2C. After 15 minutes the battery temps had risen to 25.3C.

I live in the country. I have a heated garage with a large picture window overlooking a field so I can fly in the warm and watch out the window. (I doubt my iPad or my bare fingers would have lasted 23 minutes at -33C ) :)

So as LBC970 says.. You can fly in the cold..

Not to be outdone....

This morning it was -33C (-27F). I made a 23 minute flight covering 5.4Km or 3.37 miles. I took off with a battery temperature of 22.2C. After 15 minutes the battery temps had risen to 25.3C.

I live in the country. I have a heated garage with a large picture window overlooking a field so I can fly in the warm and watch out the window. (I doubt my iPad or my bare fingers would have lasted 23 minutes at -33C ) :)

So as LBC970 says.. You can fly in the cold..

We can't all live in the frozen north!

When I worked in Deadhorse we had a 3 day stretch of -50* F. Nobody was aloud outside, the equipment and vehicles all froze up, it was crazy.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The worst I've been in is -42C or -43F.. Not all that bad if you dress properly. The only thing I hate about it is that every time your eyes tear up from the cold, your eyelashes freeze together when you blink :)

I was working at -50 once and it was terrible. Nothing works correct and steel becomes very brittle . Now that I’m old I would quit before running a piece of equipment by my self in those temps . One hiccup and you can freeze to death . You can take a gallon of hot water and toss it in the air and not one drop comes down . You get ice fog and snow .
No thanks

Yes you can and if you don’t have a picture window, fly from inside your car. it works great! I’ve been doing it ever since occusync came out on the Mavic Pro. The Phantom 4, well that’s another story.

Unfortunately, I will not have a car there. We will be moving with dog sleds mostly!...:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb