DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You can install 3rd party apps on the crystalsky!

FlyHigh101

Reactions
These guys were able to do it by replacing a file on the crystalsky, doesn't sound too hard!

"When we got our Crystalsky we were a little bummed to see that indeed DJI had locked it down to only allow DJI apps to be installed. Obviously we know there are many useful 3rd party apps that allow functions that the Go app does not. Never one to like being told how to use the products they buy we started exploring options to unlock the monitor. From the first firmware update it really looked like DJI hadn't do much to lock down their tablet, it seemed to be some basic functions that had been deleted from stock android. Being able to explore an SD card we through an APK on it and tried to install. To our surprise it started to install, then came up with an error that said it was not DJI approved. Certainly we thought, there must be a list somewhere in the filesystem of approved apps, and we only need to modify that list. But not being as proficient with digging into code as others we decided to let it be for a bit. Now we recently discovered that we were indeed correct and a single installd file is all that needs to be modified to install 3rd party apps! A coder much brighter than ourselves had modified the file and we just needed to ADB into the crystalsky to write the modified file over the stock one. And wala! We can now install apps through APK! So far we've got drone deploy and VLC player working. There are issues with getting google play services and the google play store to work. We have downloaded both but google play services keeps crashing. There are many versions of the services apk for specific hardware so we think its just a matter of finding the right version. More fun is to come but here is our progress from today!"

Having some fun hacking and unlocking our DJI Crystalsky monitor today!

Yeah, they also conveniently forgot to credit the people who worked so hard to make it happen.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Whan whan whan, they didnt claim it was their hack. And its not a how to. I dunno why you're all upset.

Reactions: BigAl07
But what??? How to do it??? Do I miss any link or directions???

It's not ready for public consumption yet.

But if you want to take a gander: GitHub - MAVProxyUser/OriginalGangsterCow: OriginalGangsterCow (dirtyc0w) for DJI Crystal Sky

EDIT: You need to download 3 files: LastSkyCry.sh, dirtycow, and installd. Then you hook up your CrystalSky to your computer (make sure the ADB suite is installed).

Then you execute the LastSkyCry.sh script. If you reboot the CrystaySky monitor, you will need to run this again because it's not persistent.

Reactions: Alex ROV
Very interested. Just received our 5.5 display and was very sad to see the lock down. I am sure that DJI doesn’t want their product being used by another UAV company, but it has the capability to do so much and it is being crippled.

I want to install HD Sync and ESRI ArcGIS along with some other apps that we find useful such as VFR Maps and Outlook so we can quickly send photos. Not to mention I want to also install our VPN software so I can upload images and videos to our public safety networks.

It's not ready for public consumption yet.

But if you want to take a gander: GitHub - MAVProxyUser/OriginalGangsterCow: OriginalGangsterCow (dirtyc0w) for DJI Crystal Sky

EDIT: You need to download 3 files: LastSkyCry.sh, dirtycow, and installd. Then you hook up your CrystalSky to your computer (make sure the ADB suite is installed).

Then you execute the LastSkyCry.sh script. If you reboot the CrystaySky monitor, you will need to run this again because it's not persistent.

Where do you get the ADB suite ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242