DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You will NEVER out maneuver a Bald eagle!

Marko9219

Reactions
What I saw yesterday struck fear into my heart as a drone pilot! I was not flying, but I witnessed a Bald eagle chasing a smaller raptor of some species. The maneuverability of the much larger eagle was stunning. The smaller and more maneuverable bird absolutely could not shake the much, much larger eagle. It went on for about 3 minutes or so in a giant circle around me.
Our Mavics wouldn't stand a chance no matter what we attempt to do. That eagle climbed, dived and turned at rates we can only dream about.
Our only hope would be a full speed run in sports mode.

Sport - fully vertical, full speed ..
It only helps IF the eagle wants to preserve his energy. If he doesn't, well,...bye.
But it is the only thing to do really.

I have had an eagle come look at my mavic while flying. Working out whether it was something worth eating. I brought it back asap. Not worth the risk.

Reactions: dewster and ronk
I have had an eagle come look at my mavic while flying. Working out whether it was something worth eating. I brought it back asap. Not worth the risk.

Same thing happened to me! I put it in sports mode and landed immediately.

An eagle will chase his pray until it is warn out, then strike for the kill. I too have witnessed an eagle chasing another bird. What a scene to watch.

Reactions: jc44224
You can juke up and down faster than a bald eagle can, the trick is to wait until it gets close and then juke, or else it will just climb to meet you.

That being said, it is best to just bring it back when the big birds start looking at your Mavic.

Reactions: samkar
This is where the climbing ability of sport+ Mode comes in handy.

I've read that ascending is an unnatural thing for a bird to do when threatened and that by climbing it's likely to reduce the chance of an attack, vs diving which is apparently the exact wrong thing to do.

Reactions: snowsas
Here is a video of a Bald Eagle grabbing a Phantom 3 in flight, and carrying it back to its nest while the camera was still running. No more needs to be said.

Wonder if the eagle was hurt when grabbing the Phantom.

Wonder if the eagle was hurt when grabbing the Phantom.
Their legs and claws are about the strongest and resilient body parts of any animal on the planet. They will sense the props striking the leg but it will probably not even leave a scratch. The dutch police had a few bald eagles trained to take drones out of the sky. The birds did it happily. Of course the animal rights orgs where furious and the project was cancelled. But it worked much better than anyone expected.

Reactions: KevinPritchett
You can juke up and down faster than a bald eagle can, the trick is to wait until it gets close and then juke, or else it will just climb to meet you.

That being said, it is best to just bring it back when the big birds start looking at your Mavic.
That is the first time I've ever seen the word "juke" being used to describe a drone maneuver...I love it!Thumbswayup

Their legs and claws are about the strongest and resilient body parts of any animal on the planet. They will sense the props striking the leg but it will probably not even leave a scratch. The dutch police had a few bald eagles trained to take drones out of the sky. The birds did it happily. Of course the animal rights orgs where furious and the project was cancelled. But it worked much better than anyone expected.

TIL eagles are bad a s s ! Thank you.

Good luck

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent