DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

YouTube Blocked my Video

RedSoxFan42

Reactions
Just got my OSMO Action last week in time for my Granddaughters College Graduation Party. I filmed the party that was at my son's house. While filming, there was background music. Once I spent hours editing, I uploaded to YouTube to share with family.
Because of the background music (Frank Sinatra) they blocked it. If I remove the sound track, there goes all the voice which is what I really want. Seems lame to me, but be aware. I haven't figured out a way to separate the voice form the background music since it's all on the same track. So if you're at an event filming, and they are playing music I the background, you're out of luck. Seems pretty restricting. Anyone know of a better way to share videos other than YouTube?

Reactions: nilomiclat
VIMEO is a possibility, it is a competitor to YouTube. I have no idea if they have as ridiculous a DMCA Takedown process as YouTube has. With any luck your video fares better there.

Just got my OSMO Action last week in time for my Granddaughters College Graduation Party. I filmed the party that was at my son's house. While filming, there was background music. Once I spent hours editing, I uploaded to YouTube to share with family.
Because of the background music (Frank Sinatra) they blocked it. If I remove the sound track, there goes all the voice which is what I really want. Seems lame to me, but be aware. I haven't figured out a way to separate the voice form the background music since it's all on the same track. So if you're at an event filming, and they are playing music I the background, you're out of luck. Seems pretty restricting. Anyone know of a better way to share videos other than YouTube?
You can try appealing the takedown, which was undoubtedly done by an automated system.

The background music indeed is a violaton of copyright, even if not intended. Becuase of the changed legislation on background music, which basicly makes the platform liable, YT has started to block.

I had the same problem, their bad-luck, I had permision to use the music by the author and singer.

And, in the future, it you want to record cleaner subject audio, you could get an inexpensive lavalier mic and record separate audio. Different mics have different recording characteristics, ranges and shapes. Lavalier mics do a decent job of isolating sound, as do boom mics, but I realize you probably don't want to have a boom mic if you're just using your OSMO.

The benefit of the lavalier mics is that they can be wired or wireless, but you absolutely use the spontaneity of the event if you have to mic someone up.

Thanks for letting us know that they're pulling the videos down rather than simply demonetizing them, as they did before.

I rarely post YouTube videos these days because the platform is getting ridiculous.

The background music indeed is a violaton of copyright, even if not intended. Becuase of the changed legislation on background music, which basicly makes the platform liable, YT has started to block.

I had the same problem, their bad-luck, I had permision to use the music by the author and singer.
This. It's the music.

VIMEO is a possibility, it is a competitor to YouTube. I have no idea if they have as ridiculous a DMCA Takedown process as YouTube has. With any luck your video fares better there.
Thanks. Not sure it's the right answer.

I did notice when I was filming I was close to a Bluetooth speaker so the music was fairly loud. After editing all the clips, some of the clips where the music was low and mixed with voices, and although it was still Sinatra singing, it wasn't flagged, so maybe it just picked up the loud one and flagged that. I lowered the volume on some of the clips and removed the loud portion all together and resubmitted. So far, no problem.

Thanks. Not sure it's the right answer.

You could also just mute the videos in question and add closed captioning or subtitles. So people can see the people talking and read the words. Less than ideal but better than nothing.

I used to work in special effects, we did ADR all the time. People lip-synching to their own speech. It’s fun, but can also be tedious. ?

Vimeo is, assuming they don't want to have a problem, also bound to the legislation that makes the platform (co)responsible for copyright violations. Like YT, they will not take the risk of paying substantial fines.

Olav, the issue is not one of genuine copyright infringement, it is YouTube's ridiculous DMCA Takedown process based on automated Content ID search and remove (which is almost certainly what happened here). In this case I expect that a few seconds of the song were clear enough to trigger the match, and the video is gone. More detail here if you are interested:

The DMCA includes provision for "fair use" of copyrighted material, and one of the four tests they use is a "substantiality" test - whereby if only a small fraction of the copyrighted material is used then it is considered fair use, and another of the tests is whether the use of the material has an impact on the potential market for the copyrighted work - and it would be hard to argue that a few moments of the song in this video in question has an impact on the ability to generate royalties from it. YT's process completely ignores fair use, and has no meaningful way for the video creator in this case to contest the DMCA claim.

Anyway, I mention VIMEO, just because I have not heard the same complaint about their DMCA process, but perhaps that is because they are still quite a bit smaller than YT....

PS - apologies if we are straying off the original topic more than a bit.......

I do agree that YT s shooting over the top BUT we have to consider one important thing that, is seen from the businesspoint valid: YT is not facing a single occaion of copyrightinfringement, they face a multitude of and regarding the ridiculus awards the industry gets in the US, this is subtantial. Seen from that perspectiv, I can understand the rigorous way they react, though it is (at least) not in proportion for the "accidental" offender.

Like I said before, I had an isue with them about two years ago, posting a video from our way back from Sweden. I have a song from Ian Bruce as background. I know Ian personally and he gave me permission to use it. Some US-Company made a claim, I was able to show them that I had permission, so the claim was dismissed. Since then, I do put some own music in the background or I collect neutral sounds for the footage. Actually, it is more fun doing it that way.

The DMCA includes provision for "fair use" of copyrighted material, and one of the four tests they use is a "substantiality" test - whereby if only a small fraction of the copyrighted material is used then it is considered fair use, and another of the tests is whether the use of the material has an impact on the potential market for the copyrighted work - and it would be hard to argue that a few moments of the song in this video in question has an impact on the ability to generate royalties from it. YT's process completely ignores fair use, and has no meaningful way for the video creator in this case to contest the DMCA claim.
I'd second this. YT simply uses software to detect copyrighted material. They error on the side of flagging a video. It is then up to the user to take a chance and contest YT's decision.

OP, if you think you are in the right, you should be able to dispute YT's removal.

Possibly try using Google Drive or Dropbox to store the videos in, then create a link to share for friends and family. Or the other option is to dispute the claim by YT. I've disputed 2 claims before, one was accepted and the other was denied, so I'm 50%. It's worth a try and relativity easy to file a dispute.

You could use DROPBOX, and put it in your public folder. Then to share, just send the link to that file. You could then put the LINK on your YouTube channel. For example, I had to take this one down from YouTube, so I put it in DropBox. Here's the link -just to demonstrate: 6 Mile Flight from Trailmark to Warren Mountain.mov

Reactions: Sylvia-Khatt

First of all, I am not an expert, but I use Premiere Pro video editing. In the upper left hand panel, you can drag in only the video to the time line without the audio!!! Many times I have unwanted audio on the recording (voices, etc.). I easily separate them out and add my own music track. You will, of course, lose the family video too, or any audio.

First of all, I am not an expert, but I use Premiere Pro video editing. In the upper left hand panel, you can drag in only the video to the time line without the audio!!! Many times I have unwanted audio on the recording (voices, etc.). I easily separate them out and add my own music track. You will, of course, lose the family video too, or any audio.

I've use Magix to edit video and I can cut the audio track into separate pieces. I can then lower the volune of that snipet a little or entirely including smoothing out the dropoff in volume. I'm sure most software can do it that too. Unless FRANK sings over other important dialog/conversation, you could try that, too.

Reactions: irpnetgb
I once posted a video on how to assemble an AR-15. YouTube banned it in less than a week. Why? Because it showed how to assemble an AR-15.
I moved it to my personal GoogleCloud and passed access to it to a few others.

Thanks again for all the insight, suggestions and maybe a touch of sympathy. At least I now know in the future I will try to tone down any copyrighted protected background music. I use Photoshop CC combined with Adobe Premiere Elements to edit so I can usually remove the sound track. I will look into Amarand's suggestion if it's possible to use a separate mic with the OSMO Action.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake