DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zero grid authorization

spamgnome

Reactions
Has anyone successfully received an authorization to fly in a zero grid? I know it cannot be done via LAANC, but perhaps through DroneZone? If you have been successful, was the authorization for a specific date and time, or was it a blanket authorization?

You can use LAANC for 0 Grid (or above UASFM max), it's called a manual request and isn't real time. It requires a minimum of 24 hours notice.

And as you mentioned you can also use Drone Zone. Drone Zone also guarantees that ATC will look at the application. LAANC may be ignored. So that is a benefit.

The best way to get approval is to call ATC Manager, explain you're NOT looking for approval, but simply asking for safety mitigations they'd like to see on a LAANC or 107.41 application.

Has anyone successfully received an authorization to fly in a zero grid? I know it cannot be done via LAANC, but perhaps through DroneZone? If you have been successful, was the authorization for a specific date and time, or was it a blanket authorization?
First of all you have to have a part 107 airman certificate to request to fly in a zero grid.

I got authorization for in a zero grid and it was right off the runway too so I was a little surprised I got it. It was for 3 hours starting at a specific time on a specific day in a specific half mile radius.

The stipulations I was given was no more than 100 ft AGL and I had to check the airport ATIS system to make sure planes were taking off above me rather than landing. The idea was that planes climb out pretty quick after take off but stay lower longer when landing . If the planes were going the wrong way that’s it I was done start the process over. If they were going the right way then I was given the number to call to ATC I had to call to ask final permission just before taking off and I had to call back when I was done to let them know I was done.

They could have told me at that point they just couldn’t do it at that time and I would have to restart the process.

I made my request through LAANC. If you go through drone zone it goes to the FAA in DC first before going to the airport and takes a few more days. If you go through Drone Zone though the guys in DC may contact you and say “hey they aren’t going to accept this here’s what you need to do to improve your chances.” So there’s benefits to both methods.

I really don’t think blanket area authorizations are generally a thing. There might be some specific reason for that option but my experience the smaller the area, the less time, the lower the height requested, and the further from the airport the better your chances are for approval.

I got an authorization through Drone Zone in a 0 zone just off Detroit City Airport. There was a historic auto factory that was being demolished that I wanted to photograph. It was five or six stories high, so I asked for 50 feet to stay below the top of the building. To my surprise they gave me 100 feet. Took a few days, but it was an easy process. The authorization was good for a week or so, but I had to call the tower before flying. Then I had issues dealing with the DJI no fly zone, but that's a different story...

I've had 2 approvals, both less than a mile from KLAS. One at 125', other at 100'. I've just submitted a request to one that is about half a mile east of the airport and directly under the landing approach path. Of course LAANC denied a request at 150' and subsequently 100' in record time..about a minute. I've just submitted a request through the Drone Zone. Photos are from a site scout to give reference. IMG_7931.jpgIMG_7940.jpg

I got approval (through Drone Zone) last spring for 0 AGL restricted area to photograph a golf course near a Class D airport. As noted you won't get approval as a recreational pilot (unless things have changed). I had to specify date/times requested AGL and purpose. Single day requests were approved quite quickly and I was able to renew each request once.

I also submitted a request for a full week in case weather prevented flying. I received a number of questions via email about my project. I was told that extended request like mine were typically for construction zones. The requested week passed without a response either way. Should I find myself in a similar situation I will just do requests for individual days.

When I did fly, I was required to call the local control tower and notify them when I started and when I was done. Not an onerous process but you should request approval well in advance. At least a week prior but longer if it is an area closer to larger/busier airport.

Reactions: db4476
I've had 2 approvals, both less than a mile from KLAS. One at 125', other at 100'. I've just submitted a request to one that is about half a mile east of the airport and directly under the landing approach path. Of course LAANC denied a request at 150' and subsequently 100' in record time..about a minute. I've just submitted a request through the Drone Zone. Photos are from a site scout to give reference. View attachment 144138View attachment 144139
Update, I was approved for 90’ At this location.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo