DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom Out From Logo On Shirt to Sky?

the.ronin

Reactions
Anyone have any advice on how I might be able to do a steady single shot zoom from a logo on a t-shirt to a asteroid / boomerang quick shot style reveal?

A model would be wearing the t-shirt separate from the pilot.

Also are there any good drone filming forums around to talk about stuff like this?

Reactions: charliesRig
That doesn't sound really difficult. My way to go will need three persons:
1.: model with the Shirt (model)
2.: the drone pilot (pilot)
3.: the drone "holder" (holder)

I would start with the holder holding the drone for the start shot, the drone already powered up and clear for takeoff. The holder walks very gently with the drone back and lift it up. The pilot takes the control and flies the drone like you want it. In the same time, the holder has to run away from the model (and the drone) to be out of the image. If there are other people around, he could just behave like them as soon as he has a certain distance. If not, try to find a way to hide him. Maybe it's a bit easier, if the model only moves very slowly (if he/she should be moving at all) and you speed up the video afterwards.

It may take a few time until the transition from holding to flying is smooth and you should turn off all sensors. It may help to not actually hold the drone, but having it just resting on your palm.

Greetings
Jürgen

Good stuff Jurgen!

Or do it your way, but in two shots. One with the Mavic powered up and motors off and have the person position it in front of the model's shirt and walk backward while lifting up the Mavic. Thats shot one. Dont have shirt model move one inch from thier position. Now power up the Mavic and fly it to the same relative spot and then initiate the asteroid / boomerang function to complete shot 2.
Splice Shot one with Shot 2 in post.

That way all the other people around could be out of the shot as one would have time to get them hidden. If that is even a consideration.

A Third way would be to create a Waypoint Mission. Point one is right in front of T Shirt Model. Point two would be pulled back and up. Then switch to Asteroid / Boomerang mode with the Mavic hanging at point 2 and initiate the automated process for Boomerang.

Thanks guys. I had both approaches in mind but would really like it to be one smooth shot.

Of course, what I'd want to avoid is flying too close to the model. Please pardon me because while I've flown quite a bit before, I'm still waiting on my Mavic Air to arrive this Friday but thinking of ways to use this new tech (I come from P1 era).

So you can have the MA be in liftoff ready mode but can it also be set to do a quickshot maneuver on the subject while the camera grip guy is backing away with the drone in hand?

Here is a great video I came across where this guy goes from flying to handheld to flying to make a seamless shot through house ...

... that's where I thought hmm maybe we can go from macro shot of a logo on a shirt to Google earth shot in one smooth motion.

You can power up the Mavic Air with the props just idling and have the camera grip guy move backwards. Then spin up the props for lift off from the daring camera grip guys hand. I dont see why this would not work. The lift off might be kinda shaky though and require a few takes.

I am genuinely interested to see what you come up with. Perhaps a behind the scenes making of. LOL

Reactions: charliesRig
This information is what makes this site

I will for sure share it. While I'd be happy with a smooth hand held zoom out to typical upwards crain shot, I'd really want one transitioning to a Meteor Quickshot. (... which in turn fades into the circular logo which becomes a fluttering flag ... or at least that's the plan lol).

So without having this thing in front of me to mess with yet, is it possible to have a queued up and all ready before launch?

Unknown. Perhaps someone who uses the Intelligent Flight Mode - Asteroid will comment. I think that its possible . Spin up props from someones hand holding at shirt level. Click Record Video. Then as the person moves Mavic Air backwards and up click into the Intelligent Flight Mode - Asteroid and Click to initiate. I am not sure if the video will pause in between.

Why not just fly it close to a person that has signed a waiver? :) With excellent GPS satellite reception? I fly my Mavic Pro close enough to hand catch all the time. Install prop guards and try and fly close to objects as there is alot less chance of injury to humans and drone.

You could have the model laying on the ground and just have the drone climb straight up as they continue to catch some rays and do it that way. They do not have to be standing.

You could also have them standing and again with the drone on a plank (think pizza paddle) start the drone, start the video and have the flat plank held close to the model,. Then, have the paddle holder move slowly back as you initiate flight and the paddle holder runs away and hides under a tree or something as you continue to climb up and go into asteroid mode.

Reactions: BD0G
Why not just fly it close to a person that has signed a waiver? :)

LOLLLL I honestly thought of this haha. But our models are so young and so sweet and their mom's follow us on IG so if one of those props so much as lays a plastic on these kids, I will have a fury that evidently hell has not coming after me lol.

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm scouring through youtube for cinema tips and will def share footage when we get some and our techniques.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato