DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you a Pilot or an Aviator?

I'm not convinced that outcomes between the two would be significantly different. The best I would expect is that the drone pilot would be a bit more familiar with the lingo being used by the guy on the ground trying to talk him down, but that's only useful if he can find the radio and get it switched to the right frequency. I'd actually have a lot more confidence in a MS Flight Simulator nerd.

You contradict yourself.

The p107 holder IS the MS Flight Simulator nerd in this example.

How the knowledge about flight dynamics, control surfaces and how they work, and on and on is acquired is irrelevant. It's the knowledge that's the key here.

The assumption is that the fashion designer is completely ignorant. The p107 pilot has had this knowledge proven by testing. It is assumed they also have quite a bit of experience flying real aircraft remotely.

Having thousands of hours behind both yoke and RC sticks, this is a no-brainer to me.

You contradict yourself.

The p107 holder IS the MS Flight Simulator nerd in this example.
Well, if the drone pilot happens to also be an actual MS Flight Simulator nerd, then sure.

But if he's just a drone pilot, and if you're trying to suggest that drone flying experience and knowledge is meaningfully useful for flying an airliner, I'm afraid we're going to have to disagree. I say this as a former private pilot with an instrument rating. The two are about as dissimilar as operating an RC car is from Indy racing.

I wouldn't even trust myself to land an airliner despite my flying experience. It's all about the feel of the aircraft, how much control input to use and how much lag time there is before the aircraft responds. (Control inputs which, by the way, are completely different than an RC controller). An airliner has a lot of lag time, and my experience flying smaller aircraft would get me into a lot of trouble. And I'd plow into the runway because I'm used to judging the landing flare from a cockpit that's only several feet about the ground instead of dozens.

Nope, an MS Flight Simulator nerd would have a better chance, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
That's a good point of distinction. Transport Canada calls it "sRPAS Certificate" (small Remotely Piloted Air System Certificate) trying to be totally universal, with basic and advanced levels of competency . . but still implying the are certifying "Pilots" without saying so. I think a lot of commercial and military pilots only scratch the surface when they call themselves pilots . . They often boil it down to "I can handle my aircraft in ANY type of situation and bring the aircraft home in one piece . . That was me in my early years flying in the military . . I think they ignore a lot of what it actually takes to do that consistently under all conditions every day on every flight . . .or what it really means practice "good airmanship"
If we are going to reference the law it's helpful to note that under the Canadian Aviation Regulations, an "operator" is a person in possession of an aircraft as owner, lessee, etc.

A "pilot-in-command" is a pilot who has responsibility and autbority to operate an aircraft while in flight (Aeronautics Act).

The term "pilot" by itself is not defined.

However, again under the CARs, a Remotely Piloted Aircraft ( the Canadian name for a UAS/UAV/drone etc) is defined as a navigable aircraft operated where the pilot is not on board.

Also, the license to fly RPAS in Canada is referred to as a pilot certificate.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xapiccone