DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EXP Settings Impacts Drone Speed??

starduzt

Reactions
Does Fiddling the EXP setting impacts drone speed or only senstivity of joystick...
also i wanna know drone speed for each modes such as cine,Normal or Sports mode Pre assigned???
or is it correlated with EXP settings or where these mode speeds are determined???
someone explain!!

It depends on what you mean by speed.
The speed at the outer limits of the stick travel should remain fixed, i.e. the maximum that the drone is capable of. Similarly the speed with the stick centred will be zero but in between those points the speed at a given stick displacement with differ as you vary the flight EXP flight profile. In your words that is sensitivity only
Think of the graphs showing how quickly the drone speed will change when mapped against stick position.
Where the graphs are steep a very slight movement of the stick will result in a large change of speed. Conversely where the graphs have little slope a small stick movement will produce very little change in drone speed.
I can't answer your other questions.

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by speed.
The speed at the outer limits of the stick travel should remain fixed, i.e. the maximum that the drone is capable of. Similarly the speed with the stick centred will be zero but in between those points the speed at a given stick displacement with differ as you vary the flight EXP flight profile. In your words that is sensitivity only
Think of the graphs showing how quickly the drone speed will change when mapped against stick position.
Where the graphs are steep a very slight movement of the stick will result in a large change of speed. Conversely where the graphs have little slope a small stick movement will produce very little change in drone speed.
I can't answer your other question.
Speed is i meant time taken for drone from point A to point B..
For example In Cine mode if it takes 10 seconds..
normal mode it could take 6 second...
sport mode it could take 3 scond...
those RPM are Pre-Assigned or is it controlled by user setting??? & Does it impacted by EXP...or something..Thanks

@starduzt the expo settings have nothing to do with the actual preset max speeds,that the drone flies at in a particular mode ,they actually ,as @Yorkshire_Pud mentioned , alter the response the drone makes to a given stick movement

@starduzt the expo settings have nothing to do with the actual preset max speeds,that the drone flies at in a particular mode ,they actually ,as @Yorkshire_Pud mentioned , alter the response the drone makes to a given stick movement
So to Be clear Every Mode has its OWN MAX SPEED that is Pre Assigned by manufacturer..
EXP how much the joystick sensitive within those ASSIGNED MAX SPEED PER MODE like @Yorkshire_Pud Explained

did i Understand it correctly??

Thanks to @Wacky roger for who were able to find each mode Max Speed
C=Cine-11mph
N=Normal-33mph
S=Sport-46mph

Reactions: old man mavic
@starduzt ,yes the max speed is a fixed preset value in each mode
so regardless of what expo you have set, full stick speed will be the same

The
So to Be clear Every Mode has its OWN MAX SPEED that is Pre Assigned by manufacturer..

did i Understand it correctly??
Correct.
But note those are ground speeds, not air speeds.
Air speeds are limited by a second set of constraints, drone tilt, manufacturer specified.
If you were trying to fly into a strong wind you may not be able to reach the maximum ground speed because the drone would have to tilt too much. Conversely I have seen a drone fly home (down wind) with the drone level and not tilting at all, because the wind speed = the commanded speed.
Even stranger, if a drone was flying in the direction its nose was pointing down wind in wind that was faster than the commanded speed the drone would be flying backward (nose up ) with respect to the air.
You could also substitute maximum speed for commanded speed.

@starduzt no problem my fellow flyer
when you move the control stick on your RC that movement is copied by the movement that the drone makes in response to that movement (expo, is short for exponential ) ,when the expo settings are changed, then depending on what setting is being used, alters the moment when the drone starts it movement relative to the amount of movement from the sticks
this allows the drone to be flown much more smoothly

Reactions: starduzt
@starduzt ,i you do decide to alter any of the preset settings ,before you do so ,write down the ones that you are using now, before making any changes,as altering settings can make a lot of difference to how the drone responds ,that way if you dont like the new settings, then you have a reference point to work from ,and also be aware that sometimes after doing firmware updates some of the settings will revert back to factory ,so just check that they are the same

I think of the exp settings as simply affecting how fast the stick deflection on the remote is transmitted to the drone. If it’s very damped, you could jam the stick forward, but the drone will accelerate more slowly, but still to the same eventual speed. It’ll just take longer (in time and distance) to reach that speed, or height, or whatever.

Reactions: starduzt
I think of the exp settings as simply affecting how fast the stick deflection on the remote is transmitted to the drone. If it’s very damped, you could jam the stick forward, but the drone will accelerate more slowly, but still to the same eventual speed. It’ll just take longer (in time and distance) to reach that speed, or height, or whatever.
For clarity, at full stick forward, the output is always the same. It is just how it responds to less than full stick. That's where the dampening comes into play.

For clarity, at full stick forward, the output is always the same. It is just how it responds to less than full stick. That's where the dampening comes into play.
Yes, you’re right, that’s where the modified curve and the original merge again. Once you’re at max stick deflection, the modified EXP profile is no longer in play (until you decelerate).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
kind-of yes, I would be far more interested in knowing minimum speeds in each mode and why cine mode is nowhere near as slow as the Mavic 2 Pro was.
Likely a difference between the DJI Fly and GO 4 apps, which apparently treat the Cine mode differently. It may get tweaked in a future Fly app or M3 FW update. M2 series, including the M2P, were the last DJI drones to still use the older, more sophisticated GO 4 app that we all miss!

Reactions: christangey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark