DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2018-12-30 Precision Landing

DarthSLR

Reactions
Went for a hike today and took my M2P with me just in case.
The wind was mild, so I flew a few times, ran through 2.5 batteries.
My goal was to try a few things (more on that in the future posts), including precision landing, which I was still uncertain about.
So I decided to let the SW do its job and do not interfere unless there is a true danger. It did land on the target 3 times out of 3, the first time just a couple inches off pad's center, the other two near the border, but still all four legs on the pad. Reminder for the next time: clear big boulders from the pad imminent vicinity, I was lucky that the props were not hit, as a big rock was less than an inch from them.
Anyway, here is the video link for my last landing.

And here is a couple of iPhone snaps of the results
IMG_2334-X2.jpg

IMG_2335-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: IgorD2 and Porky
I tried the precision landing out for the 1st time a couple of days ago, must admit I was very impressed with it. All I done was took my drone up to about 7ish metres, no I didn’t measure it....;) let it sit there then went flying. I tried it even on my last outing, landed straight on the pad. Oh the evolution of technology, what next;)

Here’s mine landing,

Reactions: IgorD2 and DarthSLR
I have been using ANYTHING for a return to home landing and takeoff

a faded mark of a yard line on a football field (where i usually fly)

Anything at all that has a different color or shape on the proposed take off or landing point will do

i have used anything and everything and i have never had a problem with it returning to the exact point of launch or landing

no need for buying something that is not needed

I tried the precision landing out for the 1st time a couple of days ago, must admit I was very impressed with it. All I done was took my drone up to about 7ish metres, no I didn’t measure it....;) let it sit there then went flying. I tried it even on my last outing, landed straight on the pad. Oh the evolution of technology, what next;)

Here’s mine landing,

Nice, nearly centered!
Just checked out some of your photos @DarthSLR very nice;)
thanks man!
I have been using ANYTHING for a return to home landing and takeoff

a faded mark of a yard line on a football field (where i usually fly)

Anything at all that has a different color or shape on the proposed take off or landing point will do

i have used anything and everything and i have never had a problem with it returning to the exact point of launch or landing

no need for buying something that is not needed
In my case it's not about landing on the exact brightly colored spot.
It's about operating with highly uneven and usually very dirty/dusty ground and thus protecting the device's delicate mechanisms from the said dirt getting into them. In case it was not clear, the area was recently scorched by the Woolsey wildfire, so the entire ground is covered with fine ash and sand. No trimmed grass lawn or a clean slab of concrete for me.

i hear you...of course your situation is much different than mine...it makes perfect sense having to do what you need to do re avoiding a possible serious problem with your Mavic...good thinking being concerned with possible damage that could be done without taking the precautions that you do ...have fun flying,i LOVE it and now i am looking at the weather more than i ever did

Reactions: DarthSLR
Nice, nearly centered!

thanks man!

In my case it's not about landing on the exact brightly colored spot.
It's about operating with highly uneven and usually very dirty/dusty ground and thus protecting the device's delicate mechanisms from the said dirt getting into them. In case it was not clear, the area was recently scorched by the Woolsey wildfire, so the entire ground is covered with fine ash and sand. No trimmed grass lawn or a clean slab of concrete for me.

Totally agree with your comments regarding the landing pad. I bought mine for the same reasons plus I was also getting gimbal overload problems when it was calibrating before takeoff. (Gimbal to close to the ground)

A lot of people hand catch which I’ve never done hence why I bought the pad. ;) rather spend £8 On a pad than have a massive repair bill on my drone.;)
No brainer in my eyes.;)

i hear you...of course your situation is much different than mine...it makes perfect sense having to do what you need to do re avoiding a possible serious problem with your Mavic...good thinking being concerned with possible damage that could be done without taking the precautions that you do ...have fun flying,i LOVE it and now i am looking at the weather more than i ever did
Tru dat. I have never paid that much attention to the weather, and a strong breeze is not so much a pleasure anymore but a "**** it, can't fly today" annoyance.

Reactions: swings16
Totally agree with your comments regarding the landing pad. I bought mine for the same reasons plus I was also getting gimbal overload problems when it was calibrating before takeoff. (Gimbal to close to the ground)

A lot of people hand catch which I’ve never done hence why I bought the pad. ;) rather spend £8 On a pad or a massive repair bill on my drone.;)
No brainer in my eyes.;)
Mine actually came for free with the "fly-more" kit. And yeah, I recently got comfortable with the whole hand launch/catch, so if I'm out of pad for whatever reason I have no problem launching/landing by hand. Which I did, incidentally, during this outing, when I was practicing active tracking and moved good half a mile from the original point, to which drone was hell-bent to return :) It was running out of juice, didn't have time to set up the landing place, so I hand-caught it :)

Reactions: Porky
I remember seeing someone's video on PS when it was first introduced. He drew an X in a circle on the street with chalk, then recorded the RTH and PS landing with gimbal pointing down. It looked like the Space-X landing video of their reusable 1st stage rocket.

Reactions: DarthSLR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan