DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2018 Sailing season compilation

Vernon

Reactions

After a most excellent adventure this last summer I return to Europe and reflect on the experiences had. Its a long video but I didn't want to cut it into two episodes so here you are, 30mins of viewing pleasure(hopefully)
There is some unseen footage, clips that didn't fit in elsewhere and some background info on a few of the stories.
Enjoi!

Awesome Vernon, just great and very entertaining.
Reminded me of Alby Mangels productions (well without the female companions !!) we used to see at the movies when I was growing up.
Search Alby Mangels on youtube anyone not Aussie, and perhaps Aussies under 45ish :)

Was that PNG port you went to Vanimo ?
I'm hard of hearing so couldn't quite pick it up.

We spent several weeks in PNG in 2008, did a LOT, inc many places on the north coast, and Rabaul Queen overnight boat from Oro Bay to Lae, before going up into the highlands for some time there (Mt Wilhelm climb).

That timber is generally taken to Malaysia for furniture making, the big plant at Oro Bay mills it and make veneering paper.
Big problems with timber depletion there inland in places, timber felling for export and Palm Oil production is a huge threat to forest in the entire region.

We met a policeman at Oro Bay who was night security at the plant, he took us on a tour of that plant, and a great walking tour in the hills above town, where we found remnants of the big US base there in WWII, and a school of very basic form, but the kids were so happy in their lives.
Such great memories of that trip.

Thanks again for that video.

Last edited:

After a most excellent adventure this last summer I return to Europe and reflect on the experiences had. Its a long video but I didn't want to cut it into two episodes so here you are, 30mins of viewing pleasure(hopefully)
There is some unseen footage, clips that didn't fit in elsewhere and some background info on a few of the stories.
Enjoi!

Really enjoyed this- it’s a great personal view of Polynesia that I have not seen before. Thank you for sharing, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Reactions: Vernon
Awesome Vernon, just great and very entertaining.
Reminded me of Alby Mangels productions (well without the female companions !!) we used to see at the movies when I was growing up.
Search Alby Mangels on youtube anyone not Aussie, and perhaps Aussies under 45ish :)

Was that PNG port you went to Vanimo ?
I'm hard of hearing so couldn't quite pick it up.

We spent several weeks in PNG in 2008, did a LOT, inc many places on the north coast, and Rabaul Queen overnight boat from Oro Bay to Lae, before going up into the highlands for some time there (Mt Wilhelm climb).

That timber is generally taken to Malaysia for furniture making, the big plant at Oro Bay mills it and make veneering paper.
Big problems with timber depletion there inland in places, timber felling for export and Palm Oil production is a huge threat to forest in the entire region.

We met a policeman at Oro Bay who was night security at the plant, he took us on a tour of that plant, and a great walking tour in the hills above town, where we found remnants of the big US base there in WWII, and a school of very basic form, but the kids were so happy in their lives.
Such great memories of that trip.

Thanks again for that video.

Thanks, yeah a few people wrote to me about Alby Mangels last year. I'd never seen his work but had a dig around. He seemed like a bit of a legend who did things his own way, nice to be compared in a way.
You heard right, it was Vanimo. I just stopped for a day so cant say much about the place. I've seen the logging throughout the Solomons and PNG. At least they don't strip cut, they seem to be very selective on what trees they want and leave the canopy standing which is something I guess. Its all so corrupt there though, you can be sure only a few twisted politicians are making any money out of the deal.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
257acu