DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

48mp Photos with the DJI Mini 3 Pro

The 48mp images arent.
They're soft and contain severe artefacts from debayering.

The 12mp are fine though for a tiny sensor, albeit a horrible 4:3 aspect so i end up with around 10 after cropping to 16:9 or 3:2.

Video wise the quality is significantly better than my Mavic 2 Pro, presumably due to the higher bit rate and lower compression.

Just for reference on quad bayer and conventional bayer:

1658136718548.png

Thats the last thing most actual photographers want. Nobody really wants files that are already edited that might or might not be real world accurate or just interpolated.
Given how massively popular computational photography is on smartphones there are clearly many people want those features and the Mini is designed to have a wide appeal. Also adding computational photography features does not exclude exclude standard untouched files for those that don't want the drone handling all the processing.

Thats the last thing most actual photographers want. Nobody really wants files that are already edited that might or might not be real world accurate or just interpolated.
That is not what computational photography is about; instead, it aims to improve the image quality and compensate for the disadvantage of smaller sensors by increasing DR and reducing noise.

Examples:
- multi-shot, in-camera high-resolution mode: images with higher resolution, less aliasing, and less noise.
- stacking: several images are taken in-camera and merged into a single one (less noise); this can be done in the post but is less convenient.
- real-time HDR: two exposures taken at the same time, merged in camera, no motion artifacts (increases DR)
All examples should produce natural-looking images with less noise, i.e., with better DR.

I was under the impression that the lower frame rate "HQ" video modes had some kind of HDR going on with dual ISO values. Remember Philip Bloom's review?
Thank you for the link to the interesting review.
I was thinking of real-time HDR in still mode, while Philips's review discusses the implementation in the video modes. It seems that DJI uses dual-gain for HDR in the video, which is not as efficient as dual-exposure HDR would be. BTW, I am not very familiar with video.

That is not what computational photography is about; instead, it aims to improve the image quality and compensate for the disadvantage of smaller sensors by increasing DR and reducing noise.

Examples:
- multi-shot, in-camera high-resolution mode: images with higher resolution, less aliasing, and less noise.
- stacking: several images are taken in-camera and merged into a single one (less noise); this can be done in the post but is less convenient.
- real-time HDR: two exposures taken at the same time, merged in camera, no motion artifacts (increases DR)
All examples should produce natural-looking images with less noise, i.e., with better DR.
All of that (i) removes control and (ii) artificially changes the scene as recorded. You're getting a computers best guess of the image at that point.

All of that (i) removes control and (ii) artificially changes the scene as recorded. You're getting a computers best guess of the image at that point.
What kind of control does multi-shot (i) remove?
Stacking (ii) has the same effect as long exposure but less noise (see Olympus Live ND). So how is the scene changed artificially? It looks the same as without stacking, just with a better IQ.

Removes all of the ability to stack or not stack yourself (and if you do, what images to actually use).
Its not a foolproof technique and can introduce artefacts, softness and other issues which is why you never want it on all the time with no option to say no.

Removes all of the ability to stack or not stack yourself (and if you do, what images to actually use).
Its not a foolproof technique and can introduce artefacts, softness and other issues which is why you never want it on all the time with no option to say no.
Manual stacking is cumbersome (e.g., manual exposure, manual focus, detect in the post, sync WB in the post, and merge in the post), which is why I rarely do it on still cameras.

Professional cameras like Phase One IQ150 have implemented it because it helps IQ and eliminates the need for ND filters.

I rarely had issues with in-camera stacking/merging with Olympus (Live ND) and Nikon D850 (multiple exposures). Amateurs and professionals extensively use both modes with great success.

It is not foolproof but is very useful once you have tried it.

Use it occasionally on my DSLRs and Mirrorless in specific circumstances, its useful at times, detrimental and other times.
The lack of control is a big issue.

I found this thread via a Google search, and it's everything many of us suspected. Technology specific aside, there's a bit of smoke and mirrors when it comes to "48mp".

Question I have is why can't I shoot 3:2, why do I have to shoot this strange size.

Loving the M3P, but there are some baked-in limitations that hold it back.

Question I have is why can't I shoot 3:2, why do I have to shoot this strange size.
Because the aspect ratio of the sensor is 4:3 (8064 × 6048).
But if you want 3:2 or any other aspect ratio, you can simply crop the images to whatever you desire.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Because the aspect ratio of the sensor is 4:3 (8064 × 6048).
But if you want 3:2 or any other aspect ratio, you can simply crop the images to whatever you desire.
Thanks ... yes I have been doing this, simple enough to do, but shooting in the other aspect makes me wonder if I lose some of the perspective I was hoping for.

So far so good though. Interesting reading the discussions (arguments?) about the camera technology. My read on this is that if you want to go to the next level, you're looking at buying into the Mavic 3 series. Not an uncommon play with technology these days.

That said I am extremely happy with the M3P for my needs (some of which is commercial).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe