DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A whole bunch of questions......

Mrprop365

Reactions
I just bought a used mavic 2 zoom with a smart controller and had a few questions.
1) I'm not sure what accessories I should buy. should I get landing gear, prop guards, carrying cases?
2) I want to mount an airtag on the drone. With what (double sided tape, velcro, etc.) And where on the drone should I mount this to avoid magnetic and GPS interference?
3) I ordered a whole bunch of strobe lights from Amazon. Any suggestions on with what and where should I mount them?
4) I also ordered a buzzer for easy finding after a crash. Does anyone know if this works?
Thank you to everyone.

Reactions: James in the Desert
1. Landing gears will help your gimble from hitting tall grass when you turn it on Prop guards are a great safety measure when flying around people or animals. Carring case a must. The rest of the stuff... meh its up to you.
2. Apple air tags are really no good for helping to find your drone the range is just to poor, and they can cause compass errors sometimes (I don't know why)
3. I mount my lights on top of my batterie You should make sure you are not covering up the wi fi antenna and the compass with the lights that can sometimes cause an error.
4. The buzzer is a nice idea and it would help more than an airtag (I am guessing you got an external one so you won''t have to solder it to the Drone.)

Last edited:
Welcome to the DJI drone club. Pretty nice drone for buying used, I have the M2Z with smart controller as well.

Here's my opinion on the answers to your questions:
1) You don't need landing gear or props. The drone will take off, fly, and land just find without them. There are a number of carrying cases available so you'll need to search around and find something that meets your needs for the right price. I try to stick with good hardcases but I have been know to use a backpack or bag. If you don't mind using your own skills and are on a budget, maybe look at the Harbor Freight cases .
2) I wouldn't suggest mounting an airtag on your drone; you probably won't ever need it.
3) What do you plan to do with a bunch of strobe lights? Unless you are flying a night, you'll probably only use them a few times. I would return all those strobe and only get a Firehouse Technology strobe and mount it on the legs.
4) Cancel the order for the buzzer; you won't need it. Unless it's ViFly. ;)

Welcome to the DJI drone club. Pretty nice drone for buying used, I have the M2Z with smart controller as well.

1) You don't need landing gear or props. The drone will take off, fly, and land just find without them. There are a number of carrying cases available so you'll need to search around and find something that meets your needs for the right price. I try to stick with good hardcases but I have been know to use a backpack or bag. If you don't mind using your own skills and are on a budget, maybe look at the Harbor Freight cases .
2) I wouldn't suggest mounting an airtag on your drone; you probably won't ever need it.
3) What do you plan to do with a bunch of strobe lights? Unless you are flying a night, you'll probably only use them a few times. I would return all those strobe and only get a Firehouse Technology strobe and mount it on the legs.
Amen to what @mavic3usa said.

I'd keep two stobes; it's good to have a spare. Use decent quality Velcro to mount the strobes; it's secure, lightweight, and inexpensive. I think a hard case is the way to go.

Reactions: Torque
You don't need landing gear or props.
You will need props. Extra in fact. (I know, you meant prop guards).

Its up to you. I live in Seattle so landing gear is something I use to avoid wet grass.
Prop guards are something I find useful only when flying indoors or among trees - nice to have but not really necessary 99% of the time.
I fly with lights, even during the day as it helps me maintain VLOS. Firehouse arc 5 - depending on the drone they are mounted to the top, bottom, or legs. 3D printed holders, velcro and/or rubber bands.
Haven't ever had the need for an air tag or buzzer yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy

Yup it's a vifly with its own battery

Reactions: MA2 317 and Torque
Landing gear is nice touch if you plan to fly while out in the wilds where there is no clear, hard surfaces are to be found or you do not use a landing pad…

The Air Tag uses Blue Tooth so if the drone ismore than 30' away, yur phone will not pick it up…

Lights, if you have vision problems, then they are a boost during the day, they are still useful to find your drone if it's off a ways in bright sunlight. Since you are new at this, it will be easier for you to keep track of your drone. Go to YouTube a look up strobes and look at where ahd how they mount the strobes.

I have no opinion about the buzzer, What sets it off and can you manually set it off and from how far away can you fire it off? Remember, your drone has a built in buzzer and blinking light to help find it--"Find My Drone…" (but honestly these are really only good if you lost it in your bedroom…).

The hard case, whether it is a custom built case or just a nice plastic toolbox, from Walmart or harbor freight that you fix up, is a must!

You did not checked in through the "Pilot Check In" Forum so I will include my welcome note below, I know we've communicated in your other postings, but you might not have gotten this…

All the fancy accessories will not replace learning the basics and flying legally and safely…

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . If your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live New York, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Landing gear is nice touch if you plan to fly while out in the wilds where there is no clear, hard surfaces are to be found or you do not use a landing pad…

The Air Tag uses Blue Tooth so if the drone ismore than 30' away, yur phone will not pick it up…

Lights, if you have vision problems, then they are a boost during the day, they are still useful to find your drone if it's off a ways in bright sunlight. Since you are new at this, it will be easier for you to keep track of your drone. Go to YouTube a look up strobes and look at where ahd how they mount the strobes.

I have no opinion about the buzzer, What sets it off and can you manually set it off and from how far away can you fire it off? Remember, your drone has a built in buzzer and blinking light to help find it--"Find My Drone…" (but honestly these are really only good if you lost it in your bedroom…).

The hard case, whether it is a custom built case or just a nice plastic toolbox, from Walmart or harbor freight that you fix up, is a must!

You did not checked in through the "Pilot Check In" Forum so I will include my welcome note below, I know we've communicated in your other postings, but you might not have gotten this…

All the fancy accessories will not replace learning the basics and flying legally and safely…

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . If your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live New York, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Fly On and Fly Safe…
Thanks for the advice. First, I can't figure out how to get the drone to flash and beep, I've done it before on a mini and an anafi. Second, I have a registration and trust certificate and I put the pdf on my sc. Thanks again

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it… CHURCH BRO lol
damage the gimble and you will be out the most money of any repair I too have a remove before flight ribbon on mine.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I just bought a used mavic 2 zoom with a smart controller and had a few questions.
1) I'm not sure what accessories I should buy. should I get landing gear, prop guards, carrying cases?
2) I want to mount an airtag on the drone. With what (double sided tape, velcro, etc.) And where on the drone should I mount this to avoid magnetic and GPS interference?
3) I ordered a whole bunch of strobe lights from Amazon. Any suggestions on with what and where should I mount them?
4) I also ordered a buzzer for easy finding after a crash. Does anyone know if this works?
Thank you to everyone.

My two cents worth...

Landing gear...I hand launch / land most of the times. A neck lanyard helps with this procedure as you use the auto launch from the app on the screen. However, I do own and use a foldable landing pad for pre flight checks on a "flat surface" free of debris that fits nice in the case.

Prop Guards... I own a set but rarely use them but have them just in case.

They take up the same space as the strobes I use and prefer the strobes when flying.

Four ARC V's with 3-d printed mounts really helps me with VLOS along with the orientation of the aircraft during the flight.

20221229_052055.jpg

AIRTAGS... I had a Bluetooth tracker on my Spark and never used it.

Have fun shopping. 👍

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. First, I can't figure out how to get the drone to flash and beep, I've done it before on a mini and an anafi. Second, I have a registration and trust certificate and I put the pdf on my sc. Thanks again
Are you talking about powering the drone up? Short press and then hold the power button.

Edit: I see now that you were asking about the find my drone feature.

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to get the drone to flash and beep,
To find the "Find My Drone", it is found on the Main App Screen (the screen that comes up when you turn your controller ON…

With your drone ON, with your Smart Controller On and you have connected the Controller to the Drone..

Go back to the Main Screen, Tap PROFILE, on the Profile Screen, Tap FIND MY DRONE. It will bring up a google style street map (if you have bother to down load the Map (go to YouTube to learn how to do this…), the Map can be viewed in street map, or you can select Satellite View (Best Choice as it shows building, trees, obstacles, etc…), Tap START FLASHING AND BEEPING.

And if you have not destroyed your drone in the crash, it will flash and beep…

I suggest you do this the first time in your home, DO NOT TRY TO FLY THE DRONE, only turn it on and get it connected…

If the drone is flashing and beeping, Tap the Stop button.

Now, go outside somewhere quite, no people, no kids, no animals, etc… Fly your drone a short distance away and land it. Now activate the Find My Drone… This will let you know that is really a feeble alert system.

If you flew your drone until its battery ran down and it lands out in a field, and you are using this to find the drone, be aware that it will only work for a short while until the battery finally runs down…

But the Map will show you where the drone last sent its location and the Map shows the location of the controller and your job is to get the two as close as possible without stepping on your drone… LoL

Test it before you need to do this and you cannot remember how… Also, take a lot of time to learn the intricacies of setting and using the Return to Home (RTH).

If any of this is not understandable, use the "secret oracle of knowledge" YouTube and watch several videos. As they say, a picture or video) is worth a thousand words…

Now go forth and have fun…

I'll suggest a landing/takeoff pad of some type so you can takeoff and land on dirt or grassy areas. Do avoid concrete or any surface that may or probably will contain steel in it. It will mess with the compass and cause nothing but problems. I use the hoop style, but there's probably some good folding ones out there as well. Take your time and make sure you have a good GPS lock before you take off for a good home point.

I would focus on a soft & hard case for transporting. I also use a landing pad. The rest to me is 'mickey mouse' stuff or accessories we don't really need.

I have a Mavic 2 zoom also - I use prop guards all the time. I spray painted my bright red - top and bottom. Now the drone is easier to see. I carry extra DJI-manufactured props and batteries. I have a hard case and I take off from that, I carry compressed air. I put first aid tape on the gimbal guard so it's easier to see to remind me to take it off before turning the drone on. I carry a ton of stuff, but what I've listed is the minimum.

Thank you to everyone.
Welcome aboard, I would definitely buy a lanyard for the Controler

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13