DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aperture setting

Peter vdB

Reactions
Aperture setting on Mavic Pro is "stuck" on f/2.2. With camera selected and set to Manual, I can set ISO and shutter speed but the Aperture setting appears to be inactive. I am using Litchi. Any assistance is appreciated. Peter vdB

Aperture setting on Mavic Pro is "stuck" on f/2.2. ... Aperture setting appears to be inactive. I am using Litchi.
That's due to that a Mavic Pro have a fixed aperture ... you can't adjust it.

Thanks for that, to get around it I will need to make necessary adjustments to S/Speed and ISO to accommodate

for taking photos

Ok, so are you having trouble taking photos in certain conditions ?
Generally in low light all the fixed aperture camera drones have a little trouble getting clear sharp images, low noise etc.
For general daytime photos, the M1P does a reasonable job.

You've only just got this drone ?
Or had it a while ?
It is fairly old and been obsolete for a couple of years now, but they are still a very solid drone to fly, and use for photos / video.

I still use GO4, the original DJI app, though Litchi has a very good reputation for it's autonomous mission planning.

its the Mavic 2 Pro that has the adjustable aperture settings, not the Mavic Pro. Maybe you got confused when you bought it. Don't forget to focus as well, before you start shooting, just to be on the safe side.

its the Mavic 2 Pro that has the adjustable aperture settings, not the Mavic Pro. Maybe you got confused when you bought it. Don't forget to focus as well, before you start shooting, just to be on the safe side.
My son, who lives in US has used it for some time and dropped it off in South Africa for me to have some fun with. I have been doing wildlife photography for a number of years and have some excellent equipment. I was hoping to add to this with some drone photography but by the sound of things quality images could be out of the question so I might have to resort to using it for fun. It could possibly result in an upgrade.

Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

...but by the sound of things quality images could be out of the question so I might have to resort to using it for fun.
I'm not sure what you think that an adjustable aperture on a drone camera will do for the picture quality ...

But it's a fact that on a drone the focus depth will be endless no matter what aperture you chose. The aperture setting is mainly good for one thing when you have it on a drone ... to slow the shutter down so you might not need a ND filter to get correct exposures when trying to keep to the 180 degree rule for a natural motion blur when videoing. You can't draw parallels regarding the aperture setting comparing the camera on a drone & a DSLR.

I was hoping to add to this with some drone photography but by the sound of things quality images could be out of the question

Give it a go, you might need to play with settings a bit to get the best from it, and always touch the screen to focus on whatever spot you are looking at, the auto focus might need a little help sometimes.

For really serious drone photography, you could find something in the Phantom 4 Pro, but I think it's been discontinued now (stock would still be around I'm sure).
Then the same with the Mavic 2 Pro, it seems to have been discontinued, an excellent camera with lots more flexibility.
Step up to something in the Inspire 2 which has camera options exceeding more hobbyists needs, and a price tag to match.

The new Mavic 3 is good on paper, really good, but has had its teething issues, so sometime soon that may be an option that will be around a few years at least.

You can certainly learn on a Mavic Pro, if you get to the stage of taking the best photos you can with that, when you step up to more current drones you will find the quality leap with your skills on the menus / control sticks etc well established.

Edit - I can't overlook the Air 2S, which has a 1" sensor camera, and takes a pretty good photo despite its fixed aperture.
It would be entry level good camera drone, then the M2P, P4P, Inspire options.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman