DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Around the world trip with drone

echen2323

Reactions
my family is planning an around the world trip this summer, and while i have checked a bit on sources whether drones are allowed in the following countries we are visiting, i was putting this out there to see if you guys can verify what im reading. i havent really seen a definitive source on where drones are allowed and not allowed. i have a Mini DJI pro 4 by the way. here is our itinerary starting May 31, 2024.

LAX
Japan - Tokyo and Sapporo
Taiwan -Taipei
Indonesia - Bali
Indonesia - Jakarta
Singapore
Nepal - Kathmandu
India - New Delhi
United Arab Emirates - Dubai and Abu Dhabi
Qatar - Doha
Turkey - Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Ankara
Greece - Athens, Mykonos
Portugal - Lisbon, Lagos
USA - Boston, NYC, Houston
back to LAX

my understanding is that on my list, drones are not allowed in India and Dubai. does anyone have insight on the others? if so, ive been advised to ship the drone when i leave Nepal directly to Qatar or Turkey.

opinions appreciated. thanks. i obviously would like to bring the drone to film in as many places as possible on the list without running into trouble.

You will need to check each county and city separately. Google search the drone regulations and be sure to get to the website for that country and city. For EU countries you will need to comply with EU regs as well as those for the individual countries.
Do this well in advance of your trip in case you need to apply for certificates and/or registration numbers for your drone.
Your trip sounds terrific. Enjoy and please share your images when you get back.

my family is planning an around the world trip this summer, and while i have checked a bit on sources whether drones are allowed in the following countries we are visiting, i was putting this out there to see if you guys can verify what im reading. i havent really seen a definitive source on where drones are allowed and not allowed. i have a Mini DJI pro 4 by the way. here is our itinerary starting May 31, 2024.

LAX
Taiwan -Taipei
Indonesia - Bali
Indonesia - Jakarta
Singapore
Nepal - Kathmandu
India - New Delhi
Qatar - Doha
Greece - Athens, Mykonos
Portugal - Lisbon, Lagos
back to LAX

my understanding is that on my list, drones are not allowed in India and Dubai. does anyone have insight on the others? if so, ive been advised to ship the drone when i leave Nepal directly to Qatar or Turkey.

opinions appreciated. thanks. i obviously would like to bring the drone to film in as many places as possible on the list without running into trouble.
If I were you, I would be scared as heck. I recent wrote to this forum about my experience in October, 2023 when I had my Mavic Mini 2 CONFISCATED at Nairobi airport Kenya. It was a nightmare to get it back. It was discovered on the scanner before we left the doors of the terminal. I was taken to a room where I had to register the drone and then they stored it with hundred of others in a large open safe.

On departure from Kenya 3 weeks later, I had to get proof of leaving the country with a boarding pass showing I was on an out bound flight, in order to reclaim the drone. The process required that I get to the check in hours earlier, (but they were not yet open). Finally, I got my boarding pass 1-1/2 hours before international departure! I had to taxi to the terminal where my drone was stored, give them the boarding pass for proof, and then got my drone back. I had to pay storage fees too$. Then another taxi back to my departure terminal.

If you decide to put the drone in your suitcase, don't. I would have put it into a large pocket the moment I got my luggage.

Drones are forbidden in Kenya due to the rebels, and to prevent drones from being used for poaching rhinos and elephants for Chinese aphrodisiac market, and for ivory.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: Dronecation
I would definitely make sure about, India, Indonesia, and Turkey.

LAX
Taiwan -Taipei
Indonesia - Bali
Indonesia - Jakarta
Singapore
Nepal - Kathmandu
India - New Delhi
Qatar - Doha
Greece - Athens, Mykonos
Portugal - Lisbon, Lagos
back to LAX

I have been to many of these places
Japan-high point Kyoto, Bamboo Forest
Jakarta- Borobodur Temple
Nepal- Katmandu- the famous Durbar square, (rebuilt after earthquake), and the funeral burning ghats
India- everything is amazing
UAE- Dubai- make reservations now for helicopter tour, Light and laser show of Burj Khalifa, visit to Burj Khalifa high floor for sunset timelapse photos, Museum of the Future tickets
Doha- I.I. Pei Museum of Asian Art- amazing. have lunch in atrium
Istanbul- the grand mosque and topkapi
Greece- Athens is amazing- of course the Parthenon. Mykonos- the windmills

Japan link to slide show. Japan 2016 - DaleDavisPhotography
Greece-link to slide show. Greece May 1-22-2018 - DaleDavisPhotography
Doha-Dubai video. Middle East Trip part 1 March 2023 - DaleDavisPhotography
Feel free to ask questions.

Dale
Miami

jeez, when i peruse many forums about drones in my list of countries....many people saying leave drone at home. makes me wonder why i got this thing if i cant really use for traveling....sigh

jeez, when i peruse many forums about drones in my list of countries....many people saying leave drone at home. makes me wonder why i got this thing if i cant really use for traveling....sigh
Exactly- the world is changing and all of the great countries are now afraid of terrorism, or even arming of drone. I was brave and defiant and took the Mini to Kenya instead of the Mavic 3 in case it was confiscated, and indeed the mavic mini was confiscated by customs. You are lucky to just your drone back after a hassle.

Because of this, I have scheduled a trip to Kyrgyzstan where drones are still allowed.