DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ballistic chute systems for drones ?

Pacefast

Reactions
My background is aviation and more and more light aircraft are being fitted with BRS ( ballistic recovery systems )
Basically a chute fired out which lowers the aircraft and its occupants to the ground safely !
Cirrus prob the best known which has saved hundreds of lives.
Drones are so restricted by weight for the fear that one falling at terminal velocity hits an uninvolved person !
Surely smaller less than 2 KG drones could be fitted with a small chute maybe spring ejected while larger heavier drones could have their own fired ballistic system ?
It has crossed my mind many times that this could alleviate concerns especially whrn out of sight comes to fruition ?

Parachutes for drones have been out for a long time. However, it has not been very helpful with the BVLOS issue. I does help in getting a wavier for flying over people.

Reactions: Cafguy
The problem that I had with my first chute , was DRIFT , no way to control it as the wind takes it .
You could be flying over the River nice an safe and next thing you know the drone shifting over to the Highway very scary. I would rather the drone just drop straight down.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I have always been concerned about loss of control with my larger drones and wondered if one of the chute systems would be a good safety choice (instead of total power off). I have had some bad and exspensive crashes while testing.

I would think that the engineering staff at DJI could come up with safety options. (using motor control and air braking).
The issue I see with chutes is they could get tangles in props when deployed since loss of control is totally variable.

I doubt that they would be needed on the Mini or Air series.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne