DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big sur drone video from my road trip

I really appreciate that you captured the ambient sounds of the area and ran them in unison with the music audio track! Great that you got multiple angles of the same area as well from different perspectives! Colr grading is well done and not over the top.

4 K looks very sharp.

Hello and welcome. Your video is nice, but unfortunately it was clearly shot in a designated NFZ. The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, which includes Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Beach that is in the lower part of this sectional inside the sea otter refuge as well, has a 2000’ AGL restriction for aircraft, and a prohibition on drones. Please learn to use and follow the FAA sectionals, and the regulations of the areas you fly; it was a risky place to do this as there’s a pretty hefty fine if you are cited for flying in this area, and on a personal level, please follow the rules as drone misuse can easily ruin the hobby for the rest of us.

If ever in doubt, ask here for help. Lots of local knowledge and members who live in or frequently go to many of the areas we wish to fly who can point out the best locations to legally fly.

FEES and INFORMATION for Big Sur State Parks

23C52273-744D-4A3F-87F2-479425B1E866.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Hello and welcome. Your video is nice, but unfortunately it was clearly shot in a designated NFZ. The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, which includes Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Beach that is in the lower part of this sectional inside the sea otter refuge as well, has a 2000’ AGL restriction for aircraft, and a prohibition on drones. Please learn to use and follow the FAA sectionals, and the regulations of the areas you fly; it was a risky place to do this as there’s a pretty hefty fine if you are cited for flying in this area, and on a personal level, please follow the rules as drone misuse can easily ruin the hobby for the rest of us.

If ever in doubt, ask here for help. Lots of local knowledge and members who live in or frequently go to many of the areas we wish to fly who can point out the best locations to legally fly.

FEES and INFORMATION for Big Sur State Parks

View attachment 58905

@AMann just saw your post on here and was wondering about the exact rules.
Is it allowed to fly in the Big Sur area as long as one doesn't fly over the ocean?

Judging by (https://app.airmap.io/geo?36.159336,-121.671702,14.653057z) the no fly zones are only for the ocean area?

So for example would I be allowed to fly behind the Bixby Creek Bridge in this area circled in red:

Bixby.png

Would appreciate an answer to this as I'm trying not to get into any trouble and respect the rules!

@AMann just saw your post on here and was wondering about the exact rules.
Is it allowed to fly in the Big Sur area as long as one doesn't fly over the ocean?

Judging by (https://app.airmap.io/geo?36.159336,-121.671702,14.653057z) the no fly zones are only for the ocean area?

So for example would I be allowed to fly behind the Bixby Creek Bridge in this area circled in red:

View attachment 77490

Would appreciate an answer to this as I'm trying not to get into any trouble and respect the rules!

Hi, on the sectionals of that area, there is a NFZ indicated along the inland side of HWY 101 running parallel to the road, its a blue polygon with blue dots inside it. I can’t tell how far inland from the road it extends, but its as wide as the other NFZ from the roadway to the coast through there, so unfortunately, looks like the bridge may be part of it. I would ask at the park.

Reactions: DW009
Hi, on the sectionals of that area, there is a NFZ indicated along the inland side of HWY 101 running parallel to the road, its a blue polygon with blue dots inside it. I can’t tell how far inland from the road it extends, but its as wide as the other NFZ from the roadway to the coast through there, so unfortunately, looks like the bridge may be part of it. I would ask at the park.

@AMann Thanks for the quick reply!

So the Airmap App is not completely correct?
Do you know of any other app/maps where it's clearer to see?
Or do you know of some areas where it is allowed to fly along Highway One?

Any helpful information is much appreciated!

@AMann Thanks for the quick reply!

So the Airmap App is not completely correct?
Do you know of any other app/maps where it's clearer to see?
Or do you know of some areas where it is allowed to fly along Highway One?

Any helpful information is much appreciated!
Surprisingly, AirMap fails to show the coastal closure areas!

I always use the FAA sectionals to double check as well- here’s a scrollable sectional map of the entire US:

The video was beautiful however I noticed a lot of stuttering in the video in the video I'm not sure what that was I love the coloring

I wouldn’t speed up a video of this nature. Keep it real time and speed ramp if some clips are too long. That’s the most common way to edit long segments. Surf is the most beautiful thing... in real time or slow motion, not sped up.

I’ve been tempted to do the same as I tend to film long segments. There aren’t many instances when a uniform increase in speed works.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman