DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy another Mini 2? Maybe

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-
I just saw on an internet site a feller from Canada did an indoor comparison of the Mini 2 and couple of other mini drones. The Autel Mini won over the Mini 2 by a half point out of thirty- primarily because of its superior optics. This feller just dropped a statement that the Mini 2 would be discontinued when the Mini 3 comes out.
Do you reckon that's true? Will DJI drop the Mini 2 when the new edition comes out? If so, I think I want to order at least one more Mini 2 for my use and perhaps to give one to my son who is getting into droning also. If the price drops any more online, I may just go ahead and order up a couple- I like this little drone too much to let it expire from my use.

Happy Mardi Gras to all-

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

The mini 2 is a very solid drone for the $$$. I would be surprised if DJI drops the MM2 if and when a MM3 arrives. In my view, it would make more sense to drop the mini SE rather than the MM2. If they were to end the MM2, I might acquire another one. Only time will tell.

Cheers!

Do you reckon that's true? Will DJI drop the Mini 2 when the new edition comes out
Probably, why keep an 'obsolete model' in production unless there is a huge price difference between the Mini 2 & 3.
Didn't all the NEW Mavic 2 Pro's disappear when the M3 was launced?
I do not remember if NEW Mavic Mini's disappeared when the Mini 2 was launched but I half think the SE was released to use up surplus Mavic Mini parts stock whilst addressing the majors grips about the Mavic Mini :- arms flexing, 'weak' motors & props etc.

I bought my second mini 2 recently having the same thoughts. I got great deal on kijiji for brand new drone still in the box.

I'm an old guy and the Mini 2 does everything I need it to and more. I bought two mini 2s 14 months ago and to date haven't had any issues with either one. I have approximately 90 flights on each one.

DJI needs a cheap entry-level drone like the SE always in the lineup because many pilots start experimenting with a cheap drone and once feel the taste keep upgrading. If the first "cheap drone" exceeds the $400 mark, many people will not try because of the price.

You are right - so many people started with the simple Mini and it does the job for many of us. DJI would be stupid to drop this excellent entry-level model.

I'm an old guy and the Mini 2 does everything I need it to and more. I bought two mini 2s 14 months ago and to date haven't had any issues with either one. I have approximately 90 flights on each one.
It looks like Carson City is Mini-2 Central!

I have three of them...

Let me know if you'd like to get together and talk drones sometime. I'm trying to pull together a drone community in Douglas County/Carson City. I have dinner at 4 PM every Saturday at the Overland Restaurant and Pub in Gardnerville. I'd love to meet you there! Just ask for Terry, everybody there knows me. I'm the "drone guy".

:cool:

[email protected]

I'm an old guy too...

;-)

TCS

Reactions: BillS
Good morning to all-
I just saw on an internet site a feller from Canada did an indoor comparison of the Mini 2 and couple of other mini drones. The Autel Mini won over the Mini 2 by a half point out of thirty- primarily because of its superior optics. This feller just dropped a statement that the Mini 2 would be discontinued when the Mini 3 comes out.
Do you reckon that's true? Will DJI drop the Mini 2 when the new edition comes out? If so, I think I want to order at least one more Mini 2 for my use and perhaps to give one to my son who is getting into droning also. If the price drops any more online, I may just go ahead and order up a couple- I like this little drone too much to let it expire from my use.

Happy Mardi Gras to all-

I’m also an old guy in wisconsin, milwaukee area. Mini 2 is the only drone I have and can’t imagine needing or wanting any other. I will watch closely and also consider buying another mini 2. No problems what so ever with the one I have.

The Mini 2 is a fantastic drone in every respect! I only own a Mini 2 and want to keep it for a long time. I am very careful when I fly and I keep my drone in a maniacal way to make it last as long as possible ... the batteries of the dorone and the remote control unfortunately will not last forever and we hope to find them in the future, otherwise you have to struggle with both the replacement than with DIY, including spare parts in case of an accident or problem.

I’m also an old guy in wisconsin, milwaukee area. Mini 2 is the only drone I have and can’t imagine needing or wanting any other. I will watch closely and also consider buying another mini 2. No problems what so ever with the one I have.
I will concede that the Mini2 is a terrific drone but what’s with all this “old guy” stuff? I’m 74 and not an old guy 😠. Lol

It looks like Carson City is Mini-2 Central!

I have three of them...

Let me know if you'd like to get together and talk drones sometime. I'm trying to pull together a drone community in Douglas County/Carson City. I have dinner at 4 PM every Saturday at the Overland Restaurant and Pub in Gardnerville. I'd love to meet you there! Just ask for Terry, everybody there knows me. I'm the "drone guy".

:cool:

[email protected]

I'm an old guy too...

;-)

TCS
Next time I'm in Tahoe visiting my daughter I'll PM you.

I will concede that the Mini2 is a terrific drone but what’s with all this “old guy” stuff? I’m 74 and not an old guy 😠. Lol
I agree! I'm 73.7 and love my Mini 2. But have to get out of this backyard eventually. I've only replaced two prop blades (and that's with always using the DJI prop guard), so I feel I'm learning.

In response to the OP's question, I think by Spring of 2023 you will see a Mini 3 "Lite", likely without the avoidance sensing and slightly less camera specs, with a lesser pricing.

Originally the Autel Nano+ was supposed to be the high end of the sub 250g and a companion version called just the Nano without some of the bells and whistles and using a lesser spec camera of the Nano+. To date, I don't think the Nano (lite) has ever hit the streets. There were a couple of videos on YT earlier this year but never saw anyplace to actually buy one.

I expect Dji will follow a similar path in time and will market it as an upgraded Mini 2 with more specs of the Mini 3.
Just my $.02, for what that's worth.

Noticed today that the Canadian Amazon prime has the Mini2 fmc for $531CAD. I'm tempted to get another for backup purposes as well as having 3 new batteries I can use with the fleet. Not sure how that compares to other Canadian vendors.

Good morning to all-

Happy Mardi Gras to all-

"indoor comparison"...?

and are you talking about the EVO Nano +? I'd be curious about what makes for the "superior optics". It has pretty similar camera specs to the Mini 2, but maybe there are important differences

really big difference in price: The Mini 2 fly more package is $599. The Autel fly more is $1049. A $450 gap. A refurbished Mini 2 fly more at Drone Nerds is $469. So, at least price-wise it's not an even comparison

Reactions: Stach
The camera in the Nano+ blows away the Mini 2 and wins some / loses some against the Mini 3. The Nano+ camera has a significantly larger aperture and sensor than the Mini 2, and the low light capabilities are already legendary, how the app and flight characteristics are lacking some.

The camera in the Nano+ blows away the Mini 2 and wins some / loses some against the Mini 3. The Nano+ camera has a significantly larger aperture and sensor than the Mini 2, and the low light capabilities are already legendary, how the app and flight characteristics are lacking some.
I guess people have to decide if that aperture size and low-light characteristics justify nearly twice the cost of a Mini 2

as far as aperture size, then the Air2S at $250 more might be a better deal than the Nano+. Drone Nerds has a refurbished Air2S fly more for only 50 dollars more than the Nano+, but of course it busts over that 250 gram threshold

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman