DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Changing controller

Berf

Reactions
Can anyone direct me on how to change/unbind an Air2S from the standard controller to the new RC Controller? And is there a way to have two drones tied to the same RC controller if I'm only going to fly one at a time?

I guess I was using the term bind to mean link. I'm just trying to understand if there is anything special I need to do to use the same controller for two different drones. One of my drones does have flyaway coverage and is currently linked to a different controller.

I guess I was using the term bind to mean link. I'm just trying to understand if there is anything special I need to do to use the same controller for two different drones. One of my drones does have flyaway coverage and is currently linked to a different controller.
You should be able to use one RC controller to fly both aircraft as long as the controller supports and has the FW to do so.
You just have to do a quick update to the controller when switching aircraft.

Flyaway insurance complicates matters, not only is the drone bound to the account that bought? the insurance but the controller is bound to the drone.
Let's call the nound equipment drone A and controller A and the other not bound equipment drone B, C.... and controllers B, C.......
If by any chance you wanted controller A with Drone B then I think you would have to unbind controller A from drone A before you could use controller A, long term, with drone B and you would still have to link controller A with drone B.
If you wanted to use controller B with drone A then, for the insurance to be valid, you would HAVE to bind controller B to drone A as well as link controller B to drone A.

I wanted to do some test flights on several Mini 2 drones but didn't want to carry all their controllers. No insurance was involved and so no binding was involved. I simply linked one controller to the drone under test. The controller was the RC231/RC-N1 and using the button sequence on the controller it took only a few seconds to link the controller to the under test drone. Linking a controller to a new drone automatically severs the link of that controller to its old drone etc. etc ad infinitum.

From memory unbinding involves opening "profile" ( on the front page of the app ) and then going into the device management page and making the relevant choice. HOWEVER the app MUST be connected to the internet to allow the unbinding to 'register' wherever it needs to be registered, similarily binding needs to be 'registered'.

I've opened my profile in the DJI app, and I'm logged in, and it it shows the drone is bound to my account, but there is no option listed to unbind it.

I have a Mini3 Pro with the new RC controller, and I just want to use it with my Air2S (which has about 6 months of flyaway coverage left on it).

Ok, I think I figured it out. Here is how it went.

I started up the new RC controller that came with the Mini3 Pro. I connected it to WiFi and made sure I was already logged into my DJI account on it. Then I started the Air2S and went to the connection guide on the app on the controller and selected an Air2S to connect to. It instructed me to hold down the power button for 4 seconds on the Air2S until it beeped and then click on PAIR on the app. This paired the new RC controller with the Air2S drone.

Next, a screen came up on the app on the controller informing me the Air2S was bound to another device, and saying I could only fly it on this controller five times before I had to reconnect it to the original controller it was bound to. It also gave me an option to CHANGE BOUND DEVICE, which I selected. Since I was already logged onto the same account the device was bound to, it simply bound the new controller to the Air2s. I think I did this right (fingers crossed).

I really don't have any intentions of ever using the old controller again. The screen on this new RC controller is so much better than using my Iphone, I don't ever want to go back. The only downside I see is that I need to make a WiFi hot spot with my phone to connect the controller to if I want to see the flight map. When I used the Iphone connected to the original controller, it just used the phones cell connection for the map data so I didn't have to mess around with making a wifi hotspot.

Speaking of which, after flying the Mini 3 Pro a bit, I'm almost convinced I like it better than my Air2S. It's so much quieter and smaller and seems to do just about everything the Air2S does.

Now, I haven't yet tried reconnecting this controller to the Mini3 Pro it came with, hopefully that won't be a problem and I did all this correct.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I figured it out. Here is how it went.

I started up the new RC controller that came with the Mini3 Pro. I connected it to WiFi and made sure I was already logged into my DJI account on it. Then I started the Air2S and went to the connection guide on the app on the controller and selected an Air2S to connect to. It instructed me to hold down the power button for 4 seconds on the Air2S until it beeped and then click on PAIR on the app. This paired the new RC controller with the Air2S drone.

Next, a screen came up on the app on the controller informing me the Air2S was bound to another device, and saying I could only fly it on this controller five times before I had to reconnect it to the original controller it was bound to. It also gave me an option to CHANGE BOUND DEVICE, which I selected. Since I was already logged onto the same account the device was bound to, it simply bound the new controller to the Air2s. I think I did this right (fingers crossed).

I really don't have any intentions of ever using the old controller again. The screen on this new RC controller is so much better than using my Iphone, I don't ever want to go back. The only downside I see is that I need to make a WiFi hot spot with my phone to connect the controller to if I want to see the flight map. When I used the Iphone connected to the original controller, it just used the phones cell connection for the map data so I didn't have to mess around with making a wifi hotspot.

Speaking of which, after flying the Mini 3 Pro a bit, I'm almost convinced I like it better than my Air2S. It's so much quieter and smaller and seems to do just about everything the Air2S does.

Now, I haven't yet tried reconnecting this controller to the Mini3 Pro it came with, hopefully that won't be a problem and I did all this correct.
Good post, others will find it useful.
However it would be great if you tell us what happens when you try to use the DJI RC with the mini 3 pro.

Reactions: Capt KO
To use the DJI RC with the original Mini Pro 3 it came with, all I have to do is click on "Connection Guide" and select the Mini Pro 3, it works just fine after that.

The only oddity I'm seeing is when I switch Drones in the "Connection Guide" I get a pop up message telling me "Firmware version inconsistent. Update Firmware before use. Cancel / Continue

When I select Continue it appears to run an update process that only lasts about 10 seconds and goes away. This happens every time I switch drones. I've also seen a brief message on the controlled when first starting the Mini 3 Pro that says "Controller ID Error" but it goes away after a couple seconds. The Home screen also has a message about binding the Aircraft to enable fly away coverage when connected to the Mini 3 Pro.

So I can switch controllers and fly both drones fine, but I guess I'll need to call DJI and find out if I did something wrong because of some of the messages I'm seeing. It's too bad there isn't some sort of guide or instructions on how to do all this anywhere.

Last edited:
Regarding the "updating" from what I have seen/read it might perhaps be changing firmware versions on the controller.
Regarding the second message, it might be just an 'advertisement' message trying to get you to buy care refresh etc., just as I get messages saying an update is available. But I would wait for someone else to confirm that, I do not have the DJI RC nor a Mini 3 of any sort.

Switching my new mini 3 P from it's RC to the mini 2's N1 I would get the firmware message and seemed to do an upgrade/change going between the two drones. Allowed the 5 times so for an emergency it would be OK but a pain to switch otherwise. Just using the RC with the 3 and the N1 with the 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ototo