DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Constructive criticism please

Appreciate all the comments. So here is my reason for asking. When I post these videos I will hardly get any comments or otherwise so I''m thinking that:
1. maybe they are too long
2. Clips may be too long and don't hold attention. Example is the shot over the bridge in the beginning. I felt that it was too long and maybe people quit watching. Same with the trains.
3. Perhaps I need to add more transitions that are shorter?

So I really appreciate the comments. Funny, my daughter is going to college to become a film editor but of course dad takes a back seat on help...

1- yes
2-yes. That shot is really good but too long.
3-yes, use only as much as needed

Ok, my two cents and because you ask.
First of all, it is a great location. Lots of things with great shape, lines, circles, diagonals, different textures, you have trains, an unbelievable freeway spaghetti bowl.
The light did suck. Come back at sun up or down and observe how the low light plays on structure, make notes and develop a shotlist. Then bring your drone and fly your list. I'll guarantee you'll come up with more shots. Don't fly around in search of a shot. Plan it then fly your shot then reset a couple of time to get a couple of takes to choose from in post. Your percentage of good shots will considerably improve. Try to get the meat of your shots in 10 to 20 seconds. Don't make complicated shots. When you pan be very very slow.
In post, look at your clips and listen to some pieces of music. Chances are you'll find the right one. As you listen, imaging what clip would work, at what pace. Then start editing your clips to the beat and cut and cut and cut. When you are done cutting, cut some more. Make sure every frame counts. Cut all the jerky parts. It should look as though you don't think a drone shot that. Any time it happens is like saying "hey guys, look, I am flying a drone". Oh yea, loose the dronie.
Here is a study in color correction I shot a couple of weeks ago. Inspire 1 X5R raw format. (I do own a Mavic too)

Reactions: Dronebow
I keep making videos that I think feel boring. Need some tips on what to do to spice them up. My locations are limited so no beautiful island paradises or castles or other great stuff. This is my latest, so what could I have done to make it better??

You're footage looks great! The only tip I would recommend would be to incorporate some form of reveal. You have plenty of subjects that your working with but each scene starts with the subject. Try building up some anticipation in the shot and reveal the subject. I've found that a reveal can really help in adding depth, such as flying out from behind a hill to expose a town or a valley. This video might help explain it a little bit better.

Reactions: Dronebow
IMHO, they are only "boring"to you because you physically are there. I personally love to see other locations and much of the time as others are flying i will spot things going on down below. Sometimes, i will see things in the water that at first glance you will miss.

Someone posted a video with sharks but i also saw a pretty good sized ray down there.

I like ur vid!

I like the take 2 better. More dynamic and exciting. 1) For under the bridge pass scene, start the scene @ 0:58 mark. I would rather see myself just come out of the bridge than wait for myself to enter then come out. 2) Sometimes you don't need to move at all. Simply hold a position for a while and fast forward then slow to normal, etc. 3) Try shooting the bridge while moving sideways. Keep it up and give us some more.

Hard to find any faults with the Ops video since its better than a lot of mine :D

Only advice I could give would be the same things Brice LeCarre said, and that is planning, but it does take a lot of time and it depends on if you have the time and the will to go through the work.

On two side notes.
The only issue that I see is a bit of sharp Yawing at times. I do that all the time and mess up shots.

If you want to know why your YouTube viewership is the way it is then the YouTube Analytics is your best friend. If your worried about long scenes, you can see in the Analytics at what point each percentage of people stopped watching. It's pretty easy to then figure out what is wrong.

YT-analytics.jpg

Also I cannot stress enough how much proper tagging of the video helps to bring in people.

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcjz