DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Critical Over Heating

Standuptommy

Reactions
My new Mavic Pro 2 is grounded. It became criticly over heated in 81 degrees weather as I connected and working on settings for 20 minutes indoors. I took it outside and did a couple of 2 minute flight tests. The 3rd attempt at a testing my new settings in flight, I then got in red type "processor critically over heating, will shut down in 30 secs" after it cooled completley and to this very moment the warning is the same. I also get the the yellow "CORE OVER HEATING" from time to time. Now if I start it up, no fans are running and it gets very hot very fast. I've only had it for a week. Can anybody advise? I can take it back to the store but that would be a bummer. It's the week end so I can't talk to DJI again. I did speak to them on Friday and the tech said I over heated my unit by using it with out flying while I tweaking and testing the settings. He said it would be OK once cooled down. NOT. I also think I got a lot of misinfomation from the tech although he was very nice and professional. Anybody shed some light here?

My new Mavic Pro 2 is grounded. It became criticly over heated in 81 degrees weather as I connected and working on settings for 20 minutes indoors. I took it outside and did a couple of 2 minute flight tests. The 3rd attempt at a testing my new settings in flight, I then got in red type "processor critically over heating, will shut down in 30 secs" after it cooled completley and to this very moment the warning is the same. I also get the the yellow "CORE OVER HEATING" from time to time. Now if I start it up, no fans are running and it gets very hot very fast. I've only had it for a week. Can anybody advise? I can take it back to the store but that would be a bummer. It's the week end so I can't talk to DJI again. I did speak to them on Friday and the tech said I over heated my unit by using it with out flying while I tweaking and testing the settings. He said it would be OK once cooled down. NOT. I also think I got a lot of misinfomation from the tech although he was very nice and professional. Anybody shed some light here?
welcome to the forum ,sorry its not under better circumstances,unfortunately it may have got damage to the boards inside, when you are doing any sort of upgrades its better to have a cooling fan blowing over the drone even more so in hot weather ,if its only a week old then you should be able to get a replacement from the store ,good luck

It sounds like your on-board cooling fan isn't working . . . did it ever?

old man's advice notwithstanding, I haven't bothered with an external fan when doing updates at normal room temperatures. The fan cycles on and off as it should and I've not experienced an overheat on my Mavic 2 Pro.

Do keep in mind that some drones, I think the Mini, have no on-board fan, so an external fan may be more critical. Note too, that some of DJI's designs have an external heat sink (fins on the underside etc). With these the extra fan idea is strongly advised too. But your M2 has no such, the body is all plastic, so an external fan isn't going to cool down the internals with much efficiency. If you do use one, put it blowing on the nose so the air flow hits the cooling air intakes.

I also suggest returning it.

Reactions: kidroc
As bumper said, return it while you still can the onboard fan could have died

Last edited:
welcome to the forum ,sorry its not under better circumstances,unfortunately it may have got damage to the boards inside, when you are doing any sort of upgrades its better to have a cooling fan blowing over the drone even more so in hot weather ,if its only a week old then you should be able to get a replacement from the store ,good luck

Thanks very much for you input and advice. I was not updating. I was tweaking at the settings like gimple pitch and brake and all those type of settings. The fan did work. Evertything worked fine until the first episode of over heating after a couple of short "test settings" flights I was doing. Now, no fan and heats way up fast. I affraid it's damaged. I will exchange on Monday I think. I don't want DJI to fix it and have problems down the road form heat damage problems.

old man's advice notwithstanding, I haven't bothered with an external fan when doing updates at normal room temperatures. The fan cycles on and off as it should and I've not experienced an overheat on my Mavic 2 Pro.

Do keep in mind that some drones, I think the Mini, have no on-board fan, so an external fan may be more critical.

Thanks very much for you input and advice. I was not doing updates I was chanign

Reactions: old man mavic

Do keep in mind that some drones, I think the Mini, have no on-board fan, so an external fan may be more critical. Note too, that some of DJI's designs have an external heat sink (fins on the underside etc). With these the extra fan idea is strongly advised too. But your M2 has no such, the body is all plastic, so an external fan isn't going to cool down the internals with much efficiency. If you do use one, put it blowing on the nose so the air flow hits the cooling air intakes.

Thanks, Yes Old Man advised the same. The fan did work. Evertything worked fine until the first episode of over heating after a couple of short "test settings" flights I was doing. Now, no fan and heats way up fast. I affraid it's damaged. I will exchange on Monday I think. I don't want DJI to fix it and have problems down the road form heat damage problems. I do have a nice cooling pad for my laptop I can use next time. Funny DJI or any of the 100 in depth videos I've watched mentions over heating while not in the air. I guess in the air it gets cooled with the intake and outtake plus the fan. Thank You for weighing in.

Reactions: old man mavic
May also be a good idea to invest in laser temperature gun. And, take the little guys temp, especially since it does not have a cooling fan. I have two MP's and use the laser gun, if its really hot, Chicago had a heat index of 105 last week, and I did take its temp before and after the flight. It gets especially HOT if I am hovering low to the ground, nice to know about the over heating on the MM. This is the first time that I heard of MM over heating, and quit working because of over heating.
At least you can get another one. in exchange.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ITV