DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystal Sky, can it be used for other purposes??

Lady Rover

Reactions
Hi,

a lot of people seem to love the superbright CrystalSky displays.

While I'd love to get one, I am wondering if it's just a display or whether it can also be used to run other Android apps.
The spec says that CS is Android based. It doesn't say which version.

The background is we do use a normal Android tablet from Samsung in a waterproof case for navigation on-board a sailboat. Works nicely with OpenCPN but it's surely not as bright as a CS.

Now, if we could use the CS for the same purpose too, that would justify paying the high price of the CS display and retire the Samsung device.

Are the CS displays actively cooled? Do they have a fan?
Do the CS have a Gyro and a GPS sensor, or are they just "dumb" touchscreen displays?

Thanks for your input.

Franziska

It doesn't say which version.
Are the CS displays actively cooled? Do they have a fan?
Yes
Do the CS have a Gyro and a GPS sensor,
From DJI's website:

Tech Specs:
GPS GPS/GLONASS
Gyroscope Support
Compass Support

whether it can also be used to run other Android apps.
It can be done, but depending on what app you want to install it will work right on the first try or you have to tweak your CS.

Great answers. Thanks. The bad part is the active fan. Because that means it can not go in a waterproof case.
To bad, would have been a great solution.

Btw. we use no special chart plotter as they are all tied to specific manufacturers software and charts...

Last edited:
If you don't go for the high brightness model you might be ok depending on how long you run the screen. I'll have to listen more closely to see how often the fan in my standard brightness unit kicks in. I have been unaware of it running up to now. Maybe others have further information to share.

Thanks Level, we'll we are considering for the brightness, so it most likely will need the fan, especially in warmer climates.
If I'd had the cash, I'd look into using a heatsink instead, but that's to risqué.

Thanks for the help.

It is not really designed to be used like a tablet. Installing anything else is a workaround. It is pretty much designed to be a one trick pony.

Thanks Level, we'll we are considering for the brightness, so it most likely will need the fan, especially in warmer climates.
If I'd had the cash, I'd look into using a heatsink instead, but that's to risqué.

Thanks for the help.
I use mine in full sun in Ecuador and can undertake sensitive manoeuvers without issue, and that includes flying at 5000M in full sun. Yes, a hat or shadow does make it better to look at, ymmv.

If it's not dual use for us it's unfortunately not the right piece of equipment for us (due to the price) thanks for the comments though.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard