DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 pro vs air 3

Chapperz

Reactions
Hi all

I'm not in w position to purchase a air 3 right now (just bought a mini 3 Pro) so can't do it myself. I've seen and commented on a few posts regarding the sensors in the two above drones.

Anyway, if anyone owns both, how do you fancy doing a little test. I personally think (pretty certain) they both use the same omnivision ov48c sensor and as such don't think that given a fair test that there'll be much difference.

Anyway. Here's the idea.

Put both the mini 3 Pro and Air 3 in the air, side by side at the same time in low light. Set the shutter speeds to manual and the same speed, and then set both the iso to auto and then take 12mp and 48mp photos and see what the differences are.

Same thing but in bright harsh light, with some white windows in the background or something that would usually cause the mini 3 Pro CA and colour shifts and see if the air 3 suffers from the same chromatic aberrations and colour shifts.

I have a tenner says there's little to no difference.

They do not use the same sensors.

Mini 3 Pro sensor has nothing to do with the Air 3 sensors, besides the size.

There are tones of unbiased, thorough tests, on YouTube and the technology behind the sensor is very well explained.

So if you wanted to find some comfort that your Mini 3 Pro camera will do just as well as the Air 3's, sorry to disappoint, but Air 3 camera is way, way superior.

Last edited:

There are tones of unbiased, thorough tests, on YouTube and the technology behind the sensor is very well explained.

So if you wanted to find some comfort that your Mini 3 Pro camera will do just as well as the Air 3's, sorry to disappoint, but Air 3 camera is way, way superior.
I think You're wrong about that my friend... Look at the specs and tech on both.. And then check these links... DJI have pulled a sneaky one.

It's nothing to do with comfort, I could have bought the air 3 but didn't because of the fact that I will be using it 90% of the time closer than 50/30 meters from people.

It's the same sensor... In fact somebody has posted am image in here which is from China which shows that the air 3 does.

Also, DGC is a a propriety technology and I know of no 1/1.3 sensor that uses it. Again, check all the specs and tech on both of them and then check the links

That's no coincidence. And I think that considering that a lot of the reviews are by people who get freebies from dji, there's bound to be some biased options.

Anyway, I've shown at least some information to support my assertion, would you be so kind as to show some to support yours? Other than just saying it and trying to patronise and condescend? Cheers.

Reactions: landmark orbiter

Well well well.... Not much difference in that I'd say. The highlights of the mini 3 Pro are a little more pronounced and the red is a bit more saturated, but the greens??? Not much in it really.

Like I said, put them side by side, manual shutters set the same with auto iso and I doubt there's much in it.

Now all that remains to be seen is if the 48mp mode still produces the same chromatic aberrations and colour shifts.

I'll bet you a tenner it does. Chromatic aberrations can be sorted, so the images are usable for large prints but the colour shifts imho render the 48mp images useless.

But if ot doesn't I want to know why dji haven't fixed it in the mini 3 Pro. Well, I think we can guess why.

For me.

DJI are to drones
What Apple are to phones

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911_090347_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911_090347_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Oh dear oh dear.

Where's the details in the washed out clouds in the air 3 image? What's that funny blue haze on top of the cliffs too?

Actually, look at the rucksack. I can't see much if any more detail in the shadows.. In fact anywhere in the image.

Personally in terms of colour (greens especially) I personally prefer the mini 3 Pro in that one. And speaking of green... Where's the green on the cliffs/mountains in the air 3?

But like I said... There's not much in it imho.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911_093636_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911_093636_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 26

Ohhh hang on.. The air 3 has night mode... Yeah but the mini 3 Pro, if the settings are correct can shoot some awesome night shots... But can you fly the air 3 in cities like in this video, legally? Nope!

So the air 3 camera is certainly NOT far superior.

For me, the extra money for the air 3 and given that I can fly anywhere I like (for now) the air 3 is a bump... Mini 3 Pro still wins hands down for me. Air 3 100% not worth the extra money.

When I go on my next camping trip I can get comparable results (not much difference) when photographing and videoing landscapes, AND i can go into Canterbury City and fly around the cathedral and stuff legally.

Make select the highest playback settings on this one.

Sorry peeps but the air 3 is a bump.

Oh but the air 3 has actual HDR? Well technically so does the Mini 3 Pro.

Difference being that the mini 3 Pro uses DCG whereby it use Dual Conversion gain to combine frames at two different gain levels (on chip) before the signals are routed to the amplifier circuits, which is then processed by the ADC and encoded. It comes across as standard video in software because of the encoding but the information is still there. It's still hi dynamic range.

I have read that the video can be converted into HDR in post but i haven't done this myself but regardless, the information is there.

What's that, you have a telephoto/zoom lens?

No ya don't... It's a 70mm equivalent. It's not a physical, 60mm or above lens and it doesn't zoom. So you don't have a 70mm zoom lens.

Can you get an uninvolved person in a nice frame from 50 meters away with it? You can? Nice, I can get as close as I like with the mini 3 Pro, legally so that kinda makes that a bit surplus to requirement. Oh and I can get right up to a subject and shoot in full 4k

Well... Apparently the 48mp mode in the air 3 suffers from the same issues as the mini 3 Pro..

How much more proof do you want?