DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone insurance by the hour- who are you using?

The member noted above was removed due to his lashing out and being crude in a PM. He asked (insisted) to be banned and he was given his request.

It looks like Skywatch is back.

Reactions: BigAl07
For anyone in Britain. DCC (Drone Cover Club.... Terrible name, I know) offers third party liability cover for £30 per annum for recreational fliers. A lot cheaper than a commercial level insurer. Their add-ons (theft, accidental damage etc) bump the premiums up to an eye watering level, so best to stick to third party only and try insuring your drones through home or car insurance for accidental damage and theft from home or vehicle whilst in transit.

Reactions: CadrePilot
I use airmodo app. Most charge $10/hr. They charge $9.
Hello John. I recently picked up a few jobs from our mayor; simple aerials, but I’ve been unsuccessful finding local insurance carriers. I’m intrigued by the ‘per hour’ fee but wonder how the companies can monitor your usage other than accessing logs? i Need to research more but since you‘re “in it” just wanted to ask. Thanks.

Reactions: John G.
Hello John. I recently picked up a few jobs from our mayor; simple aerials, but I’ve been unsuccessful finding local insurance carriers. I’m intrigued by the ‘per hour’ fee but wonder how the companies can monitor your usage other than accessing logs? i Need to research more but since you‘re “in it” just wanted to ask. Thanks.
I'm under the assumption that if I have an incident, I would have to prove I had insurance at the date/time. So I take a screenshot of the insurance before I fly and keep it.

Reactions: jephoto and John G.
I'd like the convenience of a monthly or annual policy. I thought SkyWatch was a bit much at $62/month, but I just created an account in AirModo and they quoted me $1093 per year. Ouch.

Oops...
Disregard. I needed to finish deleting my second drone (Mini2) from the AirModo list, then the annual cost dropped to $575.
The $62 month though covers two drones. I have used SkyWatch for a couple of years. On months when I am not flying because I am working, cancel it. Start it back up when I am flying. Nice to always be covered even when flying for fun.

Flying drones isn't a cheap hobby or business.

For liability insurance, I pay $6 a month on my Air 2S through State Farm. It started at $8 a month, but dropped for some reason.

For liability insurance, I pay $6 a month on my Air 2S through State Farm. It started at $8 a month, but dropped for some reason.
Is that for recreational flying or Part 107? Sounds too cheap for commercial insurance

The member noted above was removed due to his lashing out and being crude in a PM. He asked (insisted) to be banned and he was given his request.
?Which member?

Nevermind. Went to preview page of thread…

Last edited:
@mgphoto and @CadrePilot if you have multiple cars, motorcycles, houses etc you pay per unit regardless of use time. Why would UAS be any different? Think about it from the Insurance Co's viewpoint.

It's also important to note that some business (like ours) use more than one drone. By utilizing multiple drones you are increasing the risk (to the insurance company) by that same amount. In theory you could destroy multiple drones in a single day. So far I've only destroyed 1 per day but going to multiple sites a day it's very possible you could have an "incident" with more than one UAS and have multiple claims.
I think a policy 'on the individual' for multiple drones would be a good model. When I lived in the UK many years ago, this was possible with vehicles. Something like this today:

If you need full time policy, the best price I have seen so far is SkyWatch. 1M general liability covering up to two drones is $665 annually. I have 2M policy and their premium is $1050.

Reactions: CadrePilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor