DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone & Photography Business - Everglades, Keys, and other water venues

DCardelli

Reactions
I am obtaining my US Coast Guard Capt. License and CFR 107 in the coming month. Retiring in the near future so I'm looking to open a business for what I enjoy.

I am considering a water based photography and drone photography business. I have twenty years of photography experience (was Semi-Pro years ago)- new to drones.

I have a 23 foot new Bay boat which is perfect to getting shallow - floats in less than 12" of water and I'm an experienced (30 years) Everglades and keys fisherman

I'm considering Photography only (For any National Park) and Drone Flight over the Everglades in unrestricted flight space - there are many areas just outside the Everglades National Park that are the same ecosystem that allow for flight.

Would be interested in comments on the idea...I have not seen many other tours that combine water and photography / drone tours for customized tours.

DC

Welcome to the forum from the outback of Australia. That tour operation would certainly be different, haven’t heard of it happening elsewhere. Would be a unique opportunity for drone pilots from the larger cities who wouldn’t get the opportunity to fly that type of area.
Regards

I am obtaining my US Coast Guard Capt. License and CFR 107 in the coming month. Retiring in the near future so I'm looking to open a business for what I enjoy.

I am considering a water based photography and drone photography business. I have twenty years of photography experience (was Semi-Pro years ago)- new to drones.

I have a 23 foot new Bay boat which is perfect to getting shallow - floats in less than 12" of water and I'm an experienced (30 years) Everglades and keys fisherman

I'm considering Photography only (For any National Park) and Drone Flight over the Everglades in unrestricted flight space - there are many areas just outside the Everglades National Park that are the same ecosystem that allow for flight.
You can't fly from any waters or lands under control of the NPS w/o permission. And you won't get permission from the Park Superintendents. You can ask, but the answer if likely "no".

You can take off outside the parks, but you still have to maintain FAA reges (VLOS, etc).
Would be interested in comments on the idea...I have not seen many other tours that combine water and photography / drone tours for customized tours.
I've seen a couple of rafting companies do it here in Colorado. But not many at all.

You can't fly from any waters or lands under control of the NPS w/o permission. And you won't get permission from the Park Superintendents. You can ask, but the answer if likely "no".

You can take off outside the parks, but you still have to maintain FAA reges (VLOS, etc).

Yes, thank you.... I'm aware of all the regulations NPS as I mentioned above and know the park boundary like the back of my hand.....was stopped one time and forgot my fishing license at home (wrong wallet) was stopped by a park ranger who game me an $80 ticket....when you get one..it's a federal offense...so, I mailed with return receipt and paid by check...I thought everything good...check cleared a week later....then about 3 months later I get a letter telling me I'm to immediately call the Park Service or a warrant will be issued....not good....good thing I had my cancelled check......called and it was a paperwork mistake...Yep,.been fishing the parks for over 30 years.....plus, B4UFLY has all the authorized air space...I've spent a good bit of time looking at the maps....

I'm 100% in agreement with the rules....there are endangered species like (birds) that really don't need drones flying above them while nesting.,...there's enough boat traffic in the protected areas....

Thank you for the information on Colorado..I'll see if I can find the sites.

DC

Reactions: Vic Moss

DC
I'll give this one a shot.

I am a long time resident of South Florida (retired doctor in Miami -practiced 1970-2008- Coral Gables since 1970) so I am familiar with the environment, having visited the keys many times, and hired local back country guides. There would seem to be several obstacles to your goals that you would need to overcome, viz: flying over the Everglades ,as you mentioned, weather (hot, humid, sticky half of the year), competition from local fishing guides, seasonal demands (very slow summers), lack of access to the keys by mainlanders, to mention a few off the top of my head.

I imagine that the bulk of your business might eventually come from doing real estate (homes and condos for sale). You would certainly fill a void, since I cannot image much competition. I don't think the entry costs would be much since you would work out of your keys residence and gain business from local entrepreneurs such as dive shops, fishing guides, advertising in local papers. I'd be tempted to give it a shot after consideration of all of the above and the factors which I have not thought of.

Best of luck.

Dale

I don't think the entry costs would be much since you would work out of your keys residence and gain business from local entrepreneurs such as dive shops, fishing guides, advertising in local papers. I

Hi Doc...I'm a Miamii Native but live in Fort Lauderdale....shoulda woulda coulda bought a keys home long ago, but, life got in the way...

I like your idea of going to dive shops all along the keys....don't have too many restrictions to fly on the ocean side...bay side (the ENP begins) pretty close to the keys...

I know the park pretty well from Flamingo to North to the park boundaries (Faxahatchee sp) river....inside the park there is some magnificent photography that is only accessible by water....

Access to Everglades environment (meaning similar to the park but not in it) the park begins about 10 miles from the Barron River in Everglades City or via the canal at Port of the Isles off US 41....both are about 2 hours from Miami./ FLL.

the idea I have is a full day on the water...meaning sunrise to sunset for the areat morning shots and red sky's at night....

Hi Doc...I'm a Miamii Native but live in Fort Lauderdale....shoulda woulda coulda bought a keys home long ago, but, life got in the way...

I like your idea of going to dive shops all along the keys....don't have too many restrictions to fly on the ocean side...bay side (the ENP begins) pretty close to the keys...

I know the park pretty well from Flamingo to North to the park boundaries (Faxahatchee sp) river....inside the park there is some magnificent photography that is only accessible by water....

Access to Everglades environment (meaning similar to the park but not in it) the park begins about 10 miles from the Barron River in Everglades City or via the canal at Port of the Isles off US 41....both are about 2 hours from Miami./ FLL.

the idea I have is a full day on the water...meaning sunrise to sunset for the areat morning shots and red sky's at night....
So, you're thinking of providing photography services, but more like drone tourism? Something akin to charter fishing where you guide people to interesting places to shoot photos and video? That's an intriguing idea. It sounds like you have the background and experience to know the territory.

Combine fishing and flying?

It all sounds great to me! You might even be able to attract more photographers by advertising as an " aerial photography," or "drone photography workshop" in Outdoor Photographer Magazine.

It all sounds great to me! You might even be able to attract more photographers by advertising as an " aerial photography," or "drone photography workshop" in Outdoor Photographer Magazine.
I don't meant to throw cold water on your idea but when you mention sunrises and sunsets, being on the water is not a good platform! It is virtually impossible to debark from a small craft on to a mangrove covered island in the back country for a tripod and the mosquitos would be horrible for any sort of time lapse. Also,returning to the mainland or keys road across the bay would be in the dark. The more I think this out, the more skeptical I get.

Wow. Sooo much cold water! I'd say, go try out all the scenarios yourself first, see what works and what doesn't, and then do a little "market-gap analysis" to see if there's interest in the features that work and are easy and saleable. You don't need to start the business to test it out.

As to water not being a good platform for sunsets...well....um....nearly all of my best sunset shots were taken holding at DSLR while standing on a boat. Some even with a 200mm lens. What's the problem? Movement? Bump up the shutter speed, and kick on the image stabilizer, there's plenty of light and plenty of ISO to play with. A few weeks ago I shot severall decent sunsets, including a 180 degree pano (hand held) that way. Stiched it up just fine. Then I tossed the drone into the air and got some more. And drones do time lapse too. The last time I used a tripod to shoot a sunrise was in 1971, time lapse on movie film. Yeah, needed a tripod on land for that one.

Sunsets/rises are easy, negotiating permission to fly a national park...that's hard. So don't do it. You've got the work-around laready.

I would think the business limiter would be finding enough photographers for decent group, but that's all about marketing, and there are plenty of experts you can hire to do that one. Just don't try to do everything yourself, or you will fall victim to the e-myth.

Reactions: Gagey52
Dale..nice gallery on smug mug.....

I did a shoot for a guide friend of mine years ago....I've spent many many days on the water before the sunrise.......from where I'd shoot, you can make it home by the time of a full sunset...

Out in front of Flamingo...you've got some great sunset.....and your 10 min from ramp...

9270427595_076c187443_o.jpg

a few more....in my 23' bay boat I can float in 12 " of water.....these are in ENP in Biscayne Bay.....

9266648305_8d34f85e4b_o.jpg

9270418645_57983059bd_o.jpg

9263838339_dd2b474af2_o.jpg

Reactions: SethB and Richard R
Wow. Sooo much cold water! I'd say, go try out all the scenarios yourself first, see what works and what doesn't, and then do a little "market-gap analysis" to see if there's interest in the features that work and are easy and saleable. You don't need to start the business to test it out.

As to water not being a good platform for sunsets...well....um....nearly all of my best sunset shots were taken holding at DSLR while standing on a boat. Some even with a 200mm lens. What's the problem? Movement? Bump up the shutter speed, and kick on the image stabilizer, there's plenty of light and plenty of ISO to play with. A few weeks ago I shot severall decent sunsets, including a 180 degree pano (hand held) that way. Stiched it up just fine. Then I tossed the drone into the air and got some more. And drones do time lapse too. The last time I used a tripod to shoot a sunrise was in 1971, time lapse on movie film. Yeah, needed a tripod on land for that one.

Sunsets/rises are easy, negotiating permission to fly a national park...that's hard. So don't do it. You've got the work-around laready.

I would think the business limiter would be finding enough photographers for decent group, but that's all about marketing, and there are plenty of experts you can hire to do that one. Just don't try to do everything yourself, or you will fall victim to the e-myth.

thank you.....I like your suggestions.....

dc

@DCardelli you might find some additional input helpful over on our sister forum:
Commercial Drone Pilots

Really enjoyed your shots. A business like you described would be tempting to me if I were closer.

Thank you.....

Search on Flickr under Wanaflatsfish. I have some fun stuff from modeling to fishing. Have not been active for a few years....but, I'm breaking out the gear again as I get ready to retire from full time and do some Supply Chain consulting and try and get a photography business up and running.

Albums Photography

This forum is a great spot to learn..........

I've been active on a boating/fishing forum for 20 years.....this is great information and seems to be a civil and welcoming group.

DC

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faustino