DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Program In Highschool

If the students are flying they are required to have their Part 107. Flying for the purpose of taking a class would not be considered simply for fun by the FAA, I'm quite confident on that point. You can't even fly to check out your home's gutters let alone fly as part of a class without a Part 107.
How silly. They are HS students learning the basics of drone photography.
This is like saying a student must get their Driver's license before taking driver's training.
My friend has been teaching this class for several years, I can assure that both he and the District are well researched and following the FAA educational parameters.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
If the students are flying they are required to have their Part 107. Flying for the purpose of taking a class would not be considered simply for fun by the FAA, I'm quite confident on that point. You can't even fly to check out your home's gutters let alone fly as part of a class without a Part 107.
I've taken a number of drone classes through The Pilot's Institute. Several required homework where I fly certain maneuvers. Alone. Unsupervised. Classes designed to improve my flight skills. No licensed part 107 RPIC ready to take over.
I was not required to have my part 107 as one of their online students.

I didn't realize how many contract services there are to help implement drone education programs in schools! Complete packages. I thought these links were interesting:

It is not illegal to fly in controlled airspace with ATC clearance under part 107. LAANC gives you this clearance.
That statement is not entirely true, if the airspace is within the controlled Class D airspace of a military installation, LAANC is not available and you (recreational and Part 107 Pilots) want to fly there, you are required to get an authorization through the FAADroneZone. And if the Airport is not LAANC Enabled (of the more than 5,000 airports in the US, only approximately 725 are LAANC Enabled…) then those same pilots must apply for an authorization and before flying that controlled airspace, they must call and coordinate their flying with the Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility…

I completed the Careers Studies Certificate in Unmanned Aerial Systems course at Virginia Peninsula Community College (VPCC) and the campus is well inside the Class D Airspace of Langley AFB and the college had to get an authorization for us to fly in their parking lot and before we flew they called Langley ATC to coordinate our flights and call when we were finished flying (as a side note, half of the parking lot was covered by a DJI Geo Fence due to its proximity to Langley).

Additionally, if a student is going to be piloting a drone, even under the direct supervision of a Part 107 Licensed Pilot who is acting as Pilot in Charge (PIC), the student would still be required to have a TRUST Certificate (A requirement for all in the program at VPCC and the college kept a copy on file…).

Case in point… the FAA Says, "Drones flown for educational purposes are regulated under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft or under the Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Rule."

Admittedly, flying within a structure (ie: gymnasium) does mitigate some FAA Rules, however, even if one suggests flying in a FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIAs), all the rules except the Remote Identification requirement apply…

For me just to fly in my own yard, I live in a Zero Altitude Quadrant, and I had to get my Part 107 to get an FAA authorization. They never granted one to me when I was a Rec Pilot… And practically everywhere I fly requires an FAA or a LAANC Authorization… See my home turf map below…

Home Map with Warnings.jpg

Loudthunder, I feel your pain. In AL I live in some havey military airspace.
Check out airspace.SmartSelect_20231003_222711_Chrome.jpg As initially commented and you eliquently confirmed. You need ATC clearance before conducting UAS operations in controlled airspace. Calling ATC, or getting LAANC approval are all forms ATC approval. I prefer in writing in case things go sideways.
PS.LAANCE does not work under Special Use Airspace either.

My friend, you are 100% WRONG here. Flying Instruction, as the student to learn to generally fly a UAS, is absolutely under ~44809 and NOT Part 107.

Now if this class were "part of a job" or something that would be totally different. For instance if you were training to fly Utility Line Inspections etc then that most likely would require Part 107 but "general flight instruction" as a student falls under the protective bubble of ~44809 (Exemption for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft) for the student. The Instructor/Teacher/Mentor is a whole other story and would require Part 107 in this instance.

Learning to fly is fundamental and in many instances a great path to obtain Part 107. There is no comparison between a student learning to fly and you "Inspecting" your neighbors gutters for them.

Hey All,
I have been approached by a Highschool that wants to setup a Drone Education Program AND use the drone to film local activities for money that would go back to their STEAM Program. I have a few questions and looking for ideas on how to build the architecture for such a program.
1. I am not aware of any exemptions for schools?
2. I assume the drone could be flown for free and a donation to the club could be asked for, but I don't think that is teaching the kids the right approach.
3. I assume a Teacher could be the Remote Pilot In Command and the students 16 years and older could fly under their direct supervision as long as the teacher is standing close enough to take control. With highschoolers this could be more liability, but I would think that could be significantly mitigated with Flight Planning.

Please let me know what else i'm not thinking of here! Thanks in advance!
You're right; as of now, schools don't get specific exemptions for drone operations. It falls under the same regulations. Also instead of just asking for donations, maybe they could offer drone services for local events at a reasonable cost. It's a win-win – community gets aerial footage, and the program gets funding!

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne