DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dronetag Mini add-on device offers Remote ID compliance for older drones

Ok for my Phantoms. Rather something smaller from US but ironically probably China…cheaper

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.... RID specs haven't been released yet and odds are there will be several companies offer an add-on "dongle" like this once they are finalized and released. It shouldn't be long.

Hello guys,

I'm Lukas, co-founder of Dronetag :) Nice to e-meet you all.

A wind resistance device for sure.
I agree that it adds some wind resistance for the Mavic series and also decreases flight time a little bit. But keep in mind that the whole solution is independent of the drone - we had to fit all the LTE, BT, GNSS modules, other sensors and battery inside. In my point of view, it would be really hard to get smaller while maintaining all the functions.

Ok for my Phantoms. Rather something smaller from US but ironically probably China…cheaper
If the Mini seems too expensive for you, then I can assure you that we are currently the most affordable Network + Direct Remote ID on the market. If you are looking for something even cheaper, we will be releasing Dronetag Beacon which is a Direct Remote ID solution only. We are not disclosing much information publicly yet, but please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you would be interested in more details or potentially testing/reviewing the device.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.... RID specs haven't been released yet and odds are there will be several companies offer an add-on "dongle" like this once they are finalized and released. It shouldn't be long.
Yes, the official Means of Compliance for FAA Remote ID is not released yet. However, we already have the ASTM F3411-19 which will not change its technologies from Bluetooth + Wi-Fi and it also won't change its messages. The MoC won't make any disturbances so there is no point for others to wait for entering the market. If they wanted to release their product, they could have followed the first version of F3411 from Dec 2019.

I appreciate all your feedback. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding the Mini or its technologies, roadmap, etc.

Reactions: Defens and Wade L.
Hello guys,

I'm Lukas, co-founder of Dronetag :) Nice to e-meet you all.

I agree that it adds some wind resistance for the Mavic series and also decreases flight time a little bit. But keep in mind that the whole solution is independent of the drone - we had to fit all the LTE, BT, GNSS modules, other sensors and battery inside. In my point of view, it would be really hard to get smaller while maintaining all the functions.

If the Mini seems too expensive for you, then I can assure you that we are currently the most affordable Network + Direct Remote ID on the market. If you are looking for something even cheaper, we will be releasing Dronetag Beacon which is a Direct Remote ID solution only. We are not disclosing much information publicly yet, but please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you would be interested in more details or potentially testing/reviewing the device.

Yes, the official Means of Compliance for FAA Remote ID is not released yet. However, we already have the ASTM F3411-19 which will not change its technologies from Bluetooth + Wi-Fi and it also won't change its messages. The MoC won't make any disturbances so there is no point for others to wait for entering the market. If they wanted to release their product, they could have followed the first version of F3411 from Dec 2019.

I appreciate all your feedback. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding the Mini or its technologies, roadmap, etc.
If BT meets the requirements why would I want LTE in the device? And what additional sensors are required?

If BT meets the requirements why would I want LTE in the device? And what additional sensors are required?
Good question. For the EU, the answer is straightforward: access to U-space airspace. You wouldn't be allowed to fly there without the Network Remote ID (and additional technical requirements + services). The current stage of the regulation is to establish the first U-spaces in 2023. See SUSI consortium where some members already support Network Remote ID service SUSI – Swiss U-Space Implementation or see Droniq and their U-space trial in port Hamburg U-Space Reallabor Hamburg - Testfeld für Drohnen-Luftraum

For the US, there is no such requirement for Network Remote ID yet. But I believe it will soon come. However, I think it will be similar to the EU. That there will be just some airspace zones where the NRI will be required because of the increased number of autonomous drones in that airspace (e.g. delivery ones). In meantime, the NRI is still irreplaceable if you want to coordinate with others or maintain the flight log for maintenance / authority purposes.

Concerning the additional sensors required. Besides the BT and GNSS module for the Broadcast Remote ID, there are none. We decided to put some extras to make it more user friendly - e.g. there is a barometer for pressure altitude, an accelerometer for automatic flight detection. We also added RF circuitry to allow switching between built-in internal and optional external antennas. Lastly, we decided to add an Extension connector to support 3rd party accessories such as flight controllers (currently MAVlink is supported). So many things that were optional and although they increase size & price, we stand behind those decisions.

Check out our documentation to see what we implemented and how it can be used. If you have any suggestions, we might incorporate it in our roadmap :) Dronetag Help | Dronetag Help

not very mini, either...
I believe this is a static photo of someone holding a Mavic and the RID tag is just sitting on top, it actually looks like it is almost at a 45 degree angle as well. I'm sure this was just for size comparison. If may not even be in the correct orientation, maybe it could be layed flat - we will need to wait and see :)

I believe this is a static photo of someone holding a Mavic and the RID tag is just sitting on top, it actually looks like it is almost at a 45 degree angle as well. I'm sure this was just for size comparison. If may not even be in the correct orientation, maybe it could be layed flat - we will need to wait and see :)
Correct, the cover photo is just for size comparison. In case you would like to see how the Mini is mounted on some drones, please check our latest video. It is in Czech language, but at least you get the idea of the size.

Attachments

• DT-5.jpg
    DT-5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: RGS2010
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member