DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Enquiry - 1980 Military Drone?

Ace_Rimmer

Reactions
Hello,

I wondered if anyone might please be able assist with a research enquiry.

I am a freelance journalist, living in Scotland (and just turned 63 this week).

Some 20 years ago, I thoroughly researched, the enigmatic occurences over a 3 day period at the twin-base RAF Bentwaters & RAF Woodbridge USAF base in Suffolk, England, during December 26-29, 1980 and which have rise to the infamous Rendlesham forest 'UFO' case.

The forest seperated both bases, where A-10s were based, in addition to the 67th ARRS.

During the past year, I have revisited my vast archive of case documentation and published considerable, previously unreleased material on the Forteana forums - an unofficial offshoot from, 'Fortean Times' magazine, for whom I was a feature writer.

I have only recently discovered a possible connection with the contemporary Teledyne Manta drone, a top-secret project during the late 1970s.

There were operations taking place within Rendlesham firest at the exact same time, which involved a C-5 arriving, followed by twin-blade helicopters - not from the base - apparently searching the same forest area for 3 days, before they departed, as did the C-5.

The base security personnel were advised to ignore this activity and most certainly not to report any more 'UFOs'!

I can't see any reason for a drone involvement - possibly a later development of the late 1970s Manta experiment - and particularly at night with conspicuous flashing red and blue lights and also reportedly a bright light underneath (perhaps a searchlight?)

However, I have attached links to the most relevant data and simply curious if it might make sense to anyone with the historical expertise.

I am sincerely appreciative of your time.

Regards,

James Easton.
[email protected]

Reactions: Dronage and MA2 317
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Reactions: MA2 317
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Reactions: MA2 317
Greetings!

Hi James.
The only mid 70s military drone I came in contact with was the experimental MRUASTAS which was shaped like a vertical cigar with tapered ends with a helicopter blade on to don't recall a plethora of lights - this was a 'stealthy ' drone intended for artillery target acquisition ect.

Hello from the Crossroads of America Ace_Rimmer.

Nice to meet you James. ?

Welcome to the Forum. ?

autonomous drones certainly are not new to the military. We used Jindiviks during the 60s and 70s as target towing craft. I think the UK may have a couple but cant recall for sure.

Reactions: Gagey52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin.macdonald