DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly with a Phone Case Double Hack

FunN4Lo

Reactions
I wanted to use my S8+ in my Mav1 remote without having to take the case off every time. I found a thread where someone removed 1/2 of the rubber inserts, to get their phone to fit in the remote arms, with the case on. I did the same. I read in several posts, how you have to remove the screws from both the top and bottom halves, to get the rubber inserts out. Because some teeth hold both rubber inserts together. I wasn't sure what folks meant, so I circled the teeth in red, in one of the pics. I am holding the removed inserts in the next pic. I put the top half rubber back in, to protect the phone screen, but left the bottom half out. Now the phone goes into the controller arms with the case on, and fits nice and snug

But... this genius hack created another issue. I fly the Mav most with my S8+. I use an iPad Mini with my P4P. Occasionally I want a bigger screen to fly the Mav, and I have paid flight apps on my Mini, that I want to use with my Mav, without having to repurchase. The tablet holder no longer fit in the controller arms. It just rattled around. So off to the hardware store. I found some 1/4 inch tubing. I cut off a couple of small pieces. Then I split those pieces down the center. I placed the pieces on each side of the tablet holder. Now my tablet holder fits back into the controller arms, nice and snug
20190121_163842.jpg20190121_163858.jpg20190121_164002_LI.jpg20190121_164154.jpg20190121_164809.jpg20190205_153332.jpg20190205_153058.jpg20190205_153218.jpg20190205_153239.jpg

I have the same problem with my phone case, I may just try this.
Alternatively I've been looking at a tablet holder, how well does that one work?

OT: I'm guessing you're an off-road guy. Where do you wheel?

I have the same problem with my phone case, I may just try this.
Alternatively I've been looking at a tablet holder, how well does that one work?
It's the only one I have tried. But it is rock solid holding the Mini. It folds flat enough that it fits on top of the slots of the bottom foam of my hard case, and still closes without issue

OT: I'm guessing you're an off-road guy. Where do you wheel?

What makes you think that? :cool: Years, and years, and years ago, when there was not a forum on every subject under the sun, my Jeep club set up a forum. That was the avatar name I picked. Since then, I used it everywhere from drones, to photography, to phone, to editing forums etc. I keep thinking one day, someone will say... is the FunN4Lo on x forum you also. But hadn't happened yet

Louisiana is my home state. DSC02426b.jpg

Reactions: Concern
Why not just use the Skyreat for both devices and avoid the extra adjustments?

Because the skytreat negates the compact and quick flyability of the Mav with one extra thing to fool with.

Phone in the holder and fly.

as opposed to

Get the skytreat out
Put it together
put in the skytreat in the holder
find the cable to fit the phone when it is in the skytreat
plug the cable in
put the phone in the skytreat
plug the cable in the phone
then fly

Thanks for the tip! Because my S8+case did not fit I have used my previous phone as a remote instead. The S4 was in mint condition as it had been always in case + glass protector, but when I was packing Mavic&remote after like 6th Mavic flight a strong wind blow knocked my phone from car hood and LCD is gone... after hundred falls with case it took just one fall without a case to destroy it.

edit: aaah too bad this is not applicable to Mavic Air controller, there is one-piece rubber, seems to be attached firmly and no screws..

Last edited:
Reactions: FunN4Lo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111