DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in downtown Portland metro area

For what purpose?

If for a commercial project you could get a city permit to operate from public property. I think it’s about $280 plus a certificate of insurance with the city as a named insured.

For commercial or rec you might find a private property owner who would allow operation.

Downtown seems pretty locked up by density and restrictive public policy.

Or, head to a west side park owned by THPRD, or south to Meldrum Bar park.

Portland Drone Regulations
I think Portland has overstepped their authority when it comes to "flying over private property."
I have contacted the FAA on some of these matters and the FAA says if you "fly over private property ONCE" and and owner asks you not to fly over it again, you must comply. ODA has no authority over this... Only the FAA.
Now, do you want to challenge the ODA... (I would)
Fly safe, Fly right, Obey the regulations you are bound to.

There are some areas specifically restricted from overflights... (That is illegal to suggest) Take off, control... Ask the FAA directly for your answer .. they are very responsive.

EDIT: There are tons of photos and videos of real estate properties for sale in Portland. These would violate the very sanctions that ODA "Thinks they have enacted".. it is all about where you take off, where you land, and where you control the drone from.
My 2 cents

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead