DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 For Railway Fans

Not looking for Critiques. I know my work is sub standard. Most of my stuff is done for family or groups I worked and golfed with. I retired from here 19 years ago. It was still called B C Rail at that time.
No critique here, I'll just say thank you for an moment of lighthearted train watching. As for the opening scene with train rolling over the "camera," I hope you did not just lay your drone down on the tracks to film the underview. All the dust, dirt, and debris kicked up by the rolling train can play havoc with the inner working of your drone, the motors, and the gimbal, not to mention the possibility of your camera lens being scratched.

Save those videos for old, cheap, cameras that you can pick up at thrift shops or your old smart phones that are just sitting around gathering dust.

I use Tracfones that I buy on QVC or HSN. These phones come with a year's service contract (1200 minutes talk, 1200 text messages, and 1.2 GB Data) all for $49 to $89 US. If you use up all your talk, text, or data, you can buy more.

If there is any left over at the end of the year, and if you buy another, it rolls over… I buy at least 2-phones a year (me, wife, and grandkids…), I then use last year's phone in the cars, tool box, end table for their camera or internet access. The Tracfone phones that QVC/HSN sells are usually last year's model…

Protect that baby and all you need to do is practice the yaw to get smooth panning. If you have not, check out YouTube on taking videos and setting up your drone so the CINE mode has the slowest yawing, the Normal mode for faster maneuvers, and Sport Mode for all out…

Reactions: JimSteadman
No critique here, I'll just say thank you for an moment of lighthearted train watching. As for the opening scene with train rolling over the "camera," I hope you did not just lay your drone down on the tracks to film the underview. All the dust, dirt, and debris kicked up by the rolling train can play havoc with the inner working of your drone, the motors, and the gimbal, not to mention the possibility of your camera lens being scratched.

Save those videos for old, cheap, cameras that you can pick up at thrift shops or your old smart phones that are just sitting around gathering dust.

I use Tracfones that I buy on QVC or HSN. These phones come with a year's service contract (1200 minutes talk, 1200 text messages, and 1.2 GB Data) all for $49 to $89 US. If you use up all your talk, text, or data, you can buy more.

If there is any left over at the end of the year, and if you buy another, it rolls over… I buy at least 2-phones a year (me, wife, and grandkids…), I then use last year's phone in the cars, tool box, end table for their camera or internet access. The Tracfone phones that QVC/HSN sells are usually last year's model…

Protect that baby and all you need to do is practice the yaw to get smooth panning. If you have not, check out YouTube on taking videos and setting up your drone so the CINE mode has the slowest yawing, the Normal mode for faster maneuvers, and Sport Mode for all out…
No I used old I phones for the train over shot. Seem to have a handful kicking around. Hard to believe but that little video took about 5-6 early morning attempts to capture. I should of had one phone beside the track away from the crossing bell to capture a steady sound of the units going by and of the cars going by. I make a lot of short videos. Mostly for my own enjoyment or family stuff.
Thanks for watching.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Thanks for posting. As a long-time train fan, I really enjoyed it and especially the middle of the track shot. I understand (and I may be wrong) that in the US there is a 35MPH speed limit on oil trains and it appears so in Canada as well.

The train driving over the camera was pretty cool, good idea.

At the end of the video, I kept hoping you might chase/follow the train with your drone. That said, I’m not sure what drone you’re using or how fast it flies.

Thanks for posting. As a long-time train fan, I really enjoyed it and especially the middle of the track shot. I understand (and I may be wrong) that in the US there is a 35MPH speed limit on oil trains and it appears so in Canada as well.
I called up one of my old friends who still works there. Yes Canada does have a 35 MPH restriction on tank car trains. I dont know about now but back when I was still working I dont think any trains went over 35 MPH on that section of track. I worked for the freight car mechanical department.

I like it. Good views of the trains doing what hey do. Like others, I like the between the rails, under the train shot. I was hoping the camera was going to stay put. Not sure of how much turbulence is under there.

I like it. Good views of the trains doing what hey do. Like others, I like the between the rails, under the train shot. I was hoping the camera was going to stay put. Not sure of how much turbulence is under there.
Well it did take 5-6 days to film that short video. On the 1st try the camera did blow over off the mini tripod. Next try I folded the legs all back, dug down in the ballast (gravel) and then puled gravel on top of the legs. Held good that time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911