DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Handeling: Mavic Pro VS Phantom

RTKD

Reactions
Is there a big difference between the two craft in Atti mode?

I own a Mavic pro, and I build FPV race drones for photography purposes (not racing). As you probably know, FPV drones have a mode we call "Acro" which doesn't auto level the craft, but instead holds it at your specified angle. This allows us to flip upside down of course, but it also lets us orbit things well.
Now, my Mavic CAN'T orbit. Period. Even in it's POI mode it doesn't orbit, it makes a multisided polygon that's SUPER noticeable when the footage is sped up. I recently read that the Phantom has an "Attitude" mode that is closer to my Acro than the mavic , but of course without the ability to invert. Is this true? Does the Phantom handle curves much better than the Mavic?

My Mavic orbits perfectly. Not sure why yours wouldn’t.

The flight record shows a perfect curved circle afterwards.

Last edited:
My Mavic orbits perfectly. Not sure why yours wouldn’t.

The flight record shows a perfect curved circle afterwards.

That's the flight pattern, but it doesn't reflect that the yaw authority is inconstant when on POI mode. It doesn't do this when you're controlling manually, but you'll notice you can't really orbit manually.
[Edit: I only know the MP1 does this, never flown an MP2]

No I have p4p and no does not handle worth a dam, like flying a brick
This is what I suspected. Having a mode closer to our Acro mode would make flying in the wind a breeze, but I don't think DJIs have a fast enough controller response time to take advantage of it properly.

That's the flight pattern, but it doesn't reflect that the yaw authority is inconstant when on POI mode. It doesn't do this when you're controlling manually, but you'll notice you can't really orbit manually.

This is what I suspected. Having a mode closer to our Acro mode would make flying in the wind a breeze, but I don't think DJIs have a fast enough controller response time to take advantage of it properly.

You can put your mavic into Acro mode. It’s called manual mode. We’re discussing it in another current thread as we speak. Mavic Pro Platinum in Manual Mode

Since you are used to FPV drones you won’t have a problem with it or I wouldn’t have suggested it. I wouldn’t recommend it to people reading this that aren’t proficient at acro mode.

Ive never noticed yaw inconsistency in my video either so if it exists it must be minor. I’ll go back and look at some old footage.

I use my M2p for the most part now.

I have found that manual orbit is possible with both Mps, but it is very exacting and labor intensive.

Very fine control is possible with the Mavic, ( Trust me I've flown numerous sizes, models and commercial configurations over the years)

Last edited:
You can put your mavic into Acro mode. It’s called manual mode. We’re discussing it in another current thread as we speak. Mavic Pro Platinum in Manual Mode

Since you are used to FPV drones you won’t have a problem with it or I wouldn’t have suggested it. I wouldn’t recommend it to people reading this that aren’t proficient at acro mode.

I haven't flown the Mavic in a while, I'm about to do the software update now, I wonder if this is going to be a new mode included? I'm excited !

I haven't flown the Mavic in a while, I'm about to do the software update now, I wonder if this is going to be a new mode included? I'm excited !

No this is something you have to enable in Assistant 2 1.1.2 with the Mavic connected to your computer. This is considered a "mod" but I wouldn't call it a "hack" because DJI included it in the firmware they just didn't make a way for the user to enable it in DJI Go 4. If you have a windows computer I recently made a how to on installing and getting Assistant 2 set up in debug mode.

Once you have it in debug mode, on the side panel of assistant 2 you'll find a bunch of menus. One of them is "parameters." click that and there will be a bunch of parameters but luckily there's a search bar.

search for:
g_config_control_control_mode[1]=the value of which by default is 8

For Atti mode Change that 8 to a 3 (I strongly recommend trying atti mode first and if that does what you want it to then great but if not then try manual mode)

For manual mode change that 8 instead to a 0.

Now you have changed the sport mode switch on the remote from sport to atti or manual mode. I would recommend taking off in P-GPS mode like normal and then switching to atti or manual mode when you get in the air. You can always switch back to P-GPS mode if you lose control and it will immediately switch back to P-GPS mode(unless you are inverted then idk I don't want to be the guy who tests this.)

Again like I said in the other thread this removes most of the automatic fail safes and so if you fly it into the ground it will be happy to do so. Expect manual mode to be slightly different from the acro you are use to so take it slow at first.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman