DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hey fellow pilots - Muskoka Ontario here!

If all you have is one battery, then more batteries are a must (especially before autumn)!

The Fly-More kit is the best way to buy them, as you get the charger, carrying case, and spare props essentially for free.

As I mentioned above, plus batteries are nice but standard batteries give you more flexibility in where you can fly. I have three standard batteries and four plus batteries (was supposed to be the other way round, but supply issues when I got my Fly-More kit combined with a looming trip meant my planned kit with standard batteries became a kit with plus batteries).

I frequently use all three standard batteries on a walk/trip, but have never used more than a couple of plus batteries. This is partly because I live in the GTA within controlled airspace, so am almost always flying somewhere where I must remain under 250 g. Checking the NRC map, that's of less concern for you as only the hospital helipad forbids operations; all the nearby aerodromes are legal to fly near. You would need to keep 30 m horizontal separation between your drone and people, which I suspect is way easier in Huntsville than down here! 😄

The downside (for you) is that you would have to register your drone (easy, $5) and pass the exam for a basic sRPAS certificate (harder, $10). Open book timed exam, unlimited retakes allowed (as long as you pay). There are courses, but I just studied on my own and did OK. Don Joyce has the best tutorial video I've found:

I'm actually a bit north of Huntsville, it looks like I'm smack in the middle of a clear area between Huntsville and Emsdale. I've been bookmarking resources and looking at info even before I clicked "Buy". Ordered 1 standard battery, and the Fly More kit, with the understanding and expectation for taking and passing the exam to make operation legal.

There's a lot to read and digest. I don't want to be "that guy"... There's been a couple complaints in a FB user group for a town just south of Huntsville - someone buzzing garages. Not the look we want for our hobby. I've discussed my purchase with the only neighbour I have - and they has no issues. I've been their neighbour for 10 years, we have a good relationship.

Ordered 1 standard battery, and the Fly More kit, with the understanding and expectation for taking and passing the exam to make operation legal.
If your Fly-More kit has standard batteries, then you don't need the exam. (Still worth learning the material, though.) There are two versions of the kit: one with standard batteries, one with plus batteries.

Welcome to our forum, Dronovar, from Hauptmann, in Hurst, Texas!

Isn’t it great to have the flexibility of vantage points an aerial camera platform affords? We get shots and videos we could only fantasize about before! I fly a Mavic 2 Pro now, but will soon add a Mini 3 Pro to my “fleet”.

The Mini 3 Pro is an excellent choice. It has a great camera, and with its sub 250 gram weight, it is not subject to many regulations aimed at larger, heavier drones—especially in Canada and the UK..

We have over 150,000 members—many from your part of the world--who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have will’ve already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask!

I've attached a couple of links below, which will make learning piloting and photo/video skills easy. The author specifically refers to the Mini 3 Pro, but his “moves” apply to any drone (DJI, anyway).

Glad to have you with us!
Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman