DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to trim Mavic 2 pro files?

bikelike

Reactions
For h264 files am using LosslessCut and it trims video files without re-encoding, which is great! However it does not take h265 files. I tried VideoProc but the preview screen is black, so it does not seem to work. What program should I try?

Last edited:
Open Shot doesn't seem to have an option without re-encoding.

Avidemux does, as well as VidCutter. Avidemux does not support multiple segments, it works super easy thought. VidCutter does support multiple segments, however in my case it crashes at 66%, a known issue.

You gotta remember every second has 24 fps (if shooting at 24fps) so not re-encoding would be a major transformation - it's video not pictures - tons of data.

I got a new dell gaming system and re-encoding doesn't take long. Maybe 1 minute for a 3 minute video shot at 4k

I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel.

Re-encoding takes a lot of time, not re-encoding takes a few seconds. That is why I am looking for a suitable software to accomplish that. For the time being I am using VidCutter, with SmartCut mode turned of.

I found this thread, and I wrote this as my current conclusion:

'I liked best using LosslessCut, since I could cut out multiple segments at once. However it does not swallow HEVC format, which Avidemux does. VidCutter does both, however the multiple option hangs at 66%, really a pity. Solveigmm Video Splitter seems to be quite stable, but it is expensive and you need the more expensive version for doing 4K.'

You gotta remember every second has 24 fps (if shooting at 24fps) so not re-encoding would be a major transformation - it's video not pictures - tons of data.
No, it's just copying the data that's already there untouched, not saving uncompressed as you seem to think he's talking of.

I found this thread, and I wrote this as my current conclusion:

'I liked best using LosslessCut, since I could cut out multiple segments at once. However it does not swallow HEVC format, which Avidemux does. VidCutter does both, however the multiple option hangs at 66%, really a pity. Solveigmm Video Splitter seems to be quite stable, but it is expensive and you need the more expensive version for doing 4K.'
At $200, the Solveigmm business version would cover a year of Premiere Pro CC, which does require re-encoding, but it also does everything else any professional editor could want included! Since the PPCC rendering takes place unattended in the background, once queued up, isn't that a better choice for the H.265 4K video from the M2P? Takes me about the same time as any lossless video cutter to create the project, and set up and start the export render, and walk away. 90 minutes later, it's complete, ready to upload to YT. Are you making multiple changes to the trim and combine after the first try, which requires immediate output to refine, which would be cumbersome to wait 90 minutes each time you refined it?

At $200, the Solveigmm business version would cover a year of Premiere Pro CC, which does require re-encoding, but it also does everything else any professional editor could want included! Since the PPCC rendering takes place unattended in the background, once queued up, isn't that a better choice for the H.265 4K video from the M2P? Takes me about the same time as any lossless video cutter to create the project, and set up and start the export render, and walk away. 90 minutes later, it's complete, ready to upload to YT. Are you making multiple changes to the trim and combine after the first try, which requires immediate output to refine, which would be cumbersome to wait 90 minutes each time you refined it?
I travel with my bicycle, carrying a small laptop for basic operations like trimming videos. That is why I am keen on a trimmer without re-encoding. But also at home such program enables me to quickly cut the crap after a day of filming.

I travel with my bicycle, carrying a small laptop for basic operations like trimming videos. That is why I am keen on a trimmer without re-encoding. But also at home such program enables me to quickly cut the crap after a day of filming.
In that case, the $200 investment makes imminent sense! What do you do for an audio track?

Hey looking for any input on how to get the audio to transfer with my 4K video. What’s the quickest way to get it to laptop to edit? Im recording with mavic-2 pro & mavic -2 zoom.

Don't know what you want to ask, but I do not record audio with the Mavic and editing I do at home in Premiere.
I guess I am confused. You want to trim and assemble your video files in the field without the delay of rendering them, but then you do your editing at home in Premiere. I presume you add an audio music track in Premiere to the otherwise silent video, like everyone else. The video clips you are assembling in the field obviously have no audio, so do you post those immediately to social media without any audio, or why the urgent need to trim them in the field? Otherwise, I'm unclear why you don't wait until you get home and do your trimming, editing and rendering all at the same time, like everyone else. What am I missing?

If someone wants to simply trim footage before downloading from the drone, just use the Go4 Editor in the app main menu.
I’ve only done 1080 with mine, maybe check and see if it’ll work with 4K.
I imagine it should manage.

I guess I am confused. You want to trim and assemble your video files in the field without the delay of rendering them, but then you do your editing at home in Premiere. I presume you add an audio music track in Premiere to the otherwise silent video, like everyone else. The video clips you are assembling in the field obviously have no audio, so do you post those immediately to social media without any audio, or why the urgent need to trim them in the field? Otherwise, I'm unclear why you don't wait until you get home and do your trimming, editing and rendering all at the same time, like everyone else. What am I missing?
Two reasons: to safe space on my portable HD. But also it is a way of evaluating my footage.

Two reasons: to safe space on my portable HD. But also it is a way of evaluating my footage.
Ok, so you aren't creating any shared output files that would require adding a sound track, which is what I initially thought, which was why I asked if there was some way to add audio without rendering, too. So, you are throwing away all your trimmed out video sections? When I edit, I often change my mind about a clip I initially rejected, and decide to use it in the same or another project. What do you use for a backup of your originals while on your bike, or do you only keep the single trimmed version, with no backup?

No backup, except for when I bump into people along the way who are willing to save one for me. In previous travels - when I only shot pictures - that was fairly easy. Anyhow I had a backup with me since I had my Macbook and a 256 GB stick. With video it is all slightly different ;-).

I often forget to hit the record button, that is why I tend to hit it right after take off. That is why there is a lot of manoeuvring to trim. I am new in this field, and always have had a bit trouble operating devices.

As long as you have a system that works for you, all is golden! Will you be buying the $200 Solveigmm business version for lossless 4K splitting? I like the takeoffs and landings, so I start all my video before I arm the motors, and don't turn it off until after the handcatch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147