DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Turned MIT Award Winning Toroidal Propeller Into A PC Fan

The Toroidal prop trade off efficiency for a quieter operation... but the keyword here is "should be" quieter, most of the drone toroidal props aren't, instead adding more blades to a conventional design usually win in that regard. Then the biggest downside with Toroidal props... the efficiency. Most examples I've seen means a 75% shorter flight time & that with a much reduced stability.

So no... in total Toroidal props on a drone isn't a success so far.

Reactions: GFields
Then the biggest downside with Toroidal props... the efficiency. Most examples I've seen means a 75% shorter flight time & that with a much reduced stability.
The articles that have been around lately claim higher efficiency in addition to reduced noise.

The team analyzed these weird-looking toroidal props to see whether there would be a thrust efficiency penalty. Apparently not: the team's best-performing B160 design was not only quieter at a given thrust level than the best standard propeller they tested, it also produced more thrust at a given power level

The articles that have been around lately claim higher efficiency in addition to reduced noise.

Yep ... but not much have yet shown up, most are terrible efficiency wise.

They now pop up on my YouTube recommended too.

😄 That's how YT's algorithm works... the more you look at a subject, the more of the same they feed you.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The Toroidal prop trade off efficiency for a quieter operation... but the keyword here is "should be" quieter, most of the drone toroidal props aren't, instead adding more blades to a conventional design usually win in that regard. Then the biggest downside with Toroidal props... the efficiency. Most examples I've seen means a 75% shorter flight time & that with a much reduced stability.

So no... in total Toroidal props on a drone isn't a success so far.
I agree. Actually, in the YT videos I've watched, they are actually louder.

Props that don’t lacerate the skin are one of the two requirements for operations over people. I wonder if the toroidals are less stabby than standard props?

(the other requirement for OOP is meeting kinetic energy on impact standards)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa