DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone screen darken problem

rickmorton

Reactions
I know this is an old issue but still very frustrating and I thought maybe someone had found an answer. You simply cannot fly when it's hot and sunny. The screen goes completely dark in just a few minutes. So here in Nevada, we're pretty much screwed 7 months of the year. The Tripletek isn't an option for most of us, at least me, and my iPad screen isn't bright enough in general and very glaring. Anyone found a way to fix this?

One of the ways I found to not have the issue you describe is to fly early or late in the day. Certainly at times during the day when the temps are high will be a problem for most of the Apple products. I have seen some iPad cooling products but have not tried any of them. If you require flying during those hot times, you might look into the cooling products.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I bought an I phone 12 max thinking it had a high brightness level. They don't tell you it dims to about 600 nits when hot. I ended up buying a Tripltek. I just upgraded to the tripltek 8. It has absolutely no dimming in high heat situations. Even when 100 degrees F and sunny it works fine.

You have to protect the phone from both sun and heat and I clear all apps running in the background along with switching to airplane mode. I get what you're saying about the Tripltek. Early mornings are always a good option if possible and if not, you just have to prepare for a commanded RTH (That can be spooky) so as to regain VLOS, a distinct possibility when you lose the screen.

The easiest fix is ANDROID. Amazingly enough that covers the Tripltek 7 & 8, the Smart Controller, the RC Pro, phones and other tablets... You have options...

Reactions: MA2 317
Reactions: Wreckhunter
You can jailbreak and install an automatic brightness control. What is it with DJIs favored platform?

You can jailbreak and install an automatic brightness control. What is it with DJIs favored platform?
No issues with the favored platform... Unfortunately DJI decided to also support the inferior Apple products.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Find a shady spot to move to after takeoff.
Buy the Hoodman full 2 pc hood.
Use a baseball cap and staple a long black piece of felt to the rim.

They all work for me but I found the Hoodman gives the best results.

I have the latest iPhone 13 Pro, and have not had any screen darkening issues yet. I’ve done a few flights lately in the Aussie midday ☀️ and coupled with a hood it’s fine. I usually try to find a shady spot to launch from. If that doesn’t work then there is always from inside the car with the air conditioning on.

I know this is an old issue but still very frustrating and I thought maybe someone had found an answer. You simply cannot fly when it's hot and sunny. The screen goes completely dark in just a few minutes. So here in Nevada, we're pretty much screwed 7 months of the year. The Tripletek isn't an option for most of us, at least me, and my iPad screen isn't bright enough in general and very glaring. Anyone found a way to fix this?
Here's a trick I used when I was flying with my phone. Before i got a smart controller. On an iphone/ipad :
Go to Settings, Accessibility, Display & Text Size. Scroll down to "Reduce white point" If its turned on, turn it OFF. That is the only way I could fly with my phone on a hot sunny day.

It will eat your battery a lot faster.

I have the latest iPhone 13 Pro, and have not had any screen darkening issues yet. I’ve done a few flights lately in the Aussie midday ☀️ and coupled with a hood it’s fine. I usually try to find a shady spot to launch from. If that doesn’t work then there is always from inside the car with the air conditioning on.
My issue isn’t with the iphone, but the Air 1 - it gets way too hot. Had one battery with slight swelling, so called it a day - it was close to midday in summer here.

Reactions: Chappy
Okay, I found the solution. In the Control tab set it to charge your iPhone. That is it, it is that simple. Just got the DJI air 2s two days ago, had the same problem, called tech support they waisted 30 minutes having me recalibrate everything. Change every iPhone setting. All you have to do is set the controller to charge the iPhone. You are welcome.

Reactions: Hermey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech