DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there an App that can show MSL from a current location?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
One of the great things that we can do on our drones is activate captions, which if the captured video is played on an app like VLC or Drone Viewer is can show altitude as the flight progresses. However it's displayed in MSL rather than AGL, so if you want to know what the AGL is you have to know the MSL from where you launch and do some subtraction. That's all well and good, and the MSL from launch point can be found in Google Earth Pro. But what if you wanted to know right there and then as you launch? Is there an app for the phone or a way to easily determine the MSL where you might be standing at any given moment?

Thanks. It was available on Apple's App store and I downloaded it and got to the point where it would show me a map and data including GPS coordinates. . However it did not display the altitude which is what I'm looking for. But thanks for the suggestions.

One of the great things that we can do on our drones is activate captions, which if the captured video is played on an app like VLC or Drone Viewer is can show altitude as the flight progresses. However it's displayed in MSL rather than AGL, so if you want to know what the AGL is you have to know the MSL from where you launch and do some subtraction. That's all well and good, and the MSL from launch point can be found in Google Earth Pro. But what if you wanted to know right there and then as you launch? Is there an app for the phone or a way to easily determine the MSL where you might be standing at any given moment?
How accurate do you need to be? GPS altitude is usually good for 50' resolution, and there are a gazillion smartphone apps that'll give you alt.

Reactions: maggior and db4476
Thanks. It was available on Apple's App store and I downloaded it and got to the point where it would show me a map and data including GPS coordinates. . However it did not display the altitude which is what I'm looking for. But thanks for the suggestions.

Really? Huh. When I bring it up, it brings up the map and in the top right hand corner is shows coordinates and altitude. I did have to hit what looks like a target button on the bottom right for it to bring up my current location.

As the map is dragged around, the coordinates and altitude of the center point is updated.

Maybe it behaves differently on Apple.

I've used the GPS Status app for years (android). it shows the position in the sky of all the satellites your phone can see and a lot more info too... don't know how accurate MSL is though. Also don't know if it's on Apple Play Store, if iPhone/iPad is what you use.

Edit: Oh, I see now from your last post apple is what you use... useful app, maybe it'll be there

The Apple Compass app (which I think is part of the iOS) shows lat/long and MSL. I haven't confirmed the accuracy with another device, but it looks about right for places with which I'm most familiar.

Jay

There's a nice simple and fast GPS app out there called "GPS coordinates" (the icon is a satellite on teal background) that I find very useful. Along with the coordinates it shows the altitude MSL at any given moment. It seems to be pretty accurate judging from testing in areas where I know the altitude, and it matches up pretty well.

Is the altitude displayed not relative to the takeoff point rather than MSL?

I use the iOS compass app for quick reference. There's also an app called Bar-o-Meter that shows both GPS altitude and altitude from pressure.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661