DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this too far under exposed?

smiller74

Reactions

It was a sunny day so I put on the PolarPro DJI Mavic ND32/PL Filter. It doesn't look too dark, but when I try to up the exposure I'm getting a ton of noise and grain. You can kind of see the noise in this video. Am I just too far under exposed and should have gone with the ND16/PL?

It was a sunny day so I put on the PolarPro DJI Mavic ND32/PL Filter. It doesn't look too dark, but when I try to up the exposure I'm getting a ton of noise and grain. You can kind of see the noise in this video. Am I just too far under exposed and should have gone with the ND16/PL?
What were your camera settings?
I normally need NP32 on bright sunny day, even early morning.

Reactions: adramelech52
What were your camera settings?
I normally need NP32 on bright sunny day, even early morning.

Settings were 30fps @ 1/60th
0 -1 -1
D-Log
ISO 100

here is the video after only increasing the exposure
You can see the grain in the bottom left corner really bad. it kind of looks out of focus too.

Maybe shooting at 1/50th, IOS100?
When in doubt I try filter and settings befor launch. And depends if flying toward or away from sun.

Reactions: tatoo974
Most of those shots are pretty much stationary so using an ND filter really makes no sense.. it will just cause the issues you're seeing without any benefit.

Most of those shots are pretty much stationary so using an ND filter really makes no sense.. it will just cause the issues you're seeing without any benefit.
So even though the Mavic Pro is moving it doesn't matter? You only need filters for things that are moving in the shot like waves, people, cars, trains, etc...?

The OP's video is about 1 EV too dark. Also showing magenta vignetting in the corners - this has allegedly been fixed in the v1000 firmware.

Using manual when you don't really know what you are doing is a great way to mess things up.
Mavic footage looks bad if under-exposed even slightly. In most situations its better to use Auto exposure and an EV between +0.3 and +1.0
You can fit an ND filter on a bright day if it makes you feel better, it doesn't make much difference to the result no matter what people say.

You've got very very little edit room in a mavic video. Its already a low bit depth image recorded at a low bit rate - there simply isn't the data there to do much editing without introducing a heap of noise.

ND filters are only there to give you about 1/50th second shutter speed. This should be at ISO100 (any higher theres even more noise from the fairly cheap camera).

So "which filter" is a case of trial and error, the correct filter is the one that'll let you get a properly exposed image at about 1/50th and iso100. To tell if the exposure is correct use the EV display but also the zebra and histogram on the display. Ideally you want it as bright as possible without burning out highlights.

Reactions: smiller74
You've got very very little edit room in a mavic video. Its already a low bit depth image recorded at a low bit rate - there simply isn't the data there to do much editing without introducing a heap of noise.

ND filters are only there to give you about 1/50th second shutter speed. This should be at ISO100 (any higher theres even more noise from the fairly cheap camera).

So "which filter" is a case of trial and error, the correct filter is the one that'll let you get a properly exposed image at about 1/50th and iso100. To tell if the exposure is correct use the EV display but also the zebra and histogram on the display. Ideally you want it as bright as possible without burning out highlights.

Thanks for the response. This helps a lot. Fixing in post isn't an option I guess haha. Take care!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre