DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC Flight Authorization Question

raylinds

Reactions
My understanding from the FAA website is that a recreational drone flyer can get authorized to fly in a Class D zone through LAANC. I just went into Aloft to get authorization. On the home screen it says Iam in class D space for Danbury Airport (which participated in LAANC) KDXR, and it says LAANC auto approval available up to 400 ft. When I go to the LAANC page to submit for approval, I choose recreational request and it says "Not eligible for authorization over 0ft." If I indicate I want to request Part 107 Commercial, it says I can get authorization up to 400 feet.

So only commercial pilots can get LAANC authorization in Class D airspace? Can I get a commercial license if I am not doing commercial work so I can get authorization?

Yes, you can get your Part 107 certificate even though you are not planning to use it for commercial use. I got my certificate just so I don't have to jump thru all the hoops required to fly as a 'recreational' pilot.

Reactions: raylinds
Yes, you can get your Part 107 certificate even though you are not planning to use it for commercial use. I got my certificate just so I don't have to jump thru all the hoops required to fly as a 'recreational' pilot.
Thanks! My home is right on the edge of the Class D airspace by about 100 feet and my flying would be outside of the airspace except for take offs and landings.

My understanding from the FAA website is that a recreational drone flyer can get authorized to fly in a Class D zone through LAANC. I just went into Aloft to get authorization. On the home screen it says Iam in class D space for Danbury Airport (which participated in LAANC) KDXR, and it says LAANC auto approval available up to 400 ft. When I go to the LAANC page to submit for approval, I choose recreational request and it says "Not eligible for authorization over 0ft." If I indicate I want to request Part 107 Commercial, it says I can get authorization up to 400 feet.

So only commercial pilots can get LAANC authorization in Class D airspace? Can I get a commercial license if I am not doing commercial work so I can get authorization?
I've just looked at LAANC availability in the 400' max ceiling area around the Danbury airport. Air Support (Aloft) is showing that auto approval is available for both recreational and commercial flights.

What location were you looking at?

Reactions: raylinds
From what I understand, LAANC for recreational pilots is all about *automatic* approval authorization. If you need additional authorization to fly higher in a location where you are restricted, then you can do so outside the automatic authorization process. Not sure if the privileges ultimately available are different between recreational vs. commercial.

I've just looked at LAANC availability in the 400' max ceiling area around the Danbury airport. Air Support (Aloft) is showing that auto approval is available for both recreational and commercial flights.

What location were you looking at?
Aloft is showing my location as LAT: 41.45968 LONG: -73.43104

@raylinds you can get your license through Pilot Institute. I'm using them myself and just finished all the study chapters and now have to review, do some test exams and then get my Part 107. I already signed up with the FAA IACRA and have an FTN (The FTN is a number assigned to you by the FAA that stays with you throughout the course of your aviation career), and also created an account with PSI which is where you schedule your FAA test for Part 107.

Go for it, you will be happy you did.

@raylinds you can get your license through Pilot Institute. I'm using them myself and just finished all the study chapters and now have to review, do some test exams and then get my Part 107. I already signed up with the FAA IACRA and have an FTN (The FTN is a number assigned to you by the FAA that stays with you throughout the course of your aviation career), and also created an account with PSI which is where you schedule your FAA test for Part 107.

Go for it, you will be happy you did.
I got ahold of a remote pilot test prep book and have been going through it and taking tests at the end of each chapter. So far I have not seen anything that makes me believe I need to spend a few hundred dollars for training on top of the $175 test fee. I agree it is probably a good idea to get the license and who knows, I might try to make a little extra cash in my retirement.

I was mostly confused as nothing I read from the FAA indicated that recreational pilots could not get Class D through LAANC authorization, which is generally considered to be not overly restrictive.

Aloft is showing my location as LAT: 41.45968 LONG: -73.43104

I don't see a problem. Here's the screen for a recreational flight in that area from Air Control. Be careful not to let the flight area go into the 0' area immediately to the west. That may have been the issue with your request.

Screenshot_20240112_121312_Air_Control[1].jpg

I don't see a problem. Here's the screen for a recreational flight in that area from Air Control. Be careful not to let the flight area go into the 0' area immediately to the west. That may have been the issue with your request.

View attachment 171788
Thank you so much as you have solved the mystery. Aloft put a default box around the location that went over the line to the west (I did not know what that line meant). Once I altered the box to avoid the line, it was okay to auto authorize.

I still plan to get certified at some point, but it is good to know that I can fly in the meantime.

Ray

Thank you so much as you have solved the mystery. Aloft put a default box around the location that went over the line to the west (I did not know what that line meant). Once I altered the box to avoid the line, it was okay to auto authorize.

I still plan to get certified at some point, but it is good to know that I can fly in the meantime.

Ray
You're very welcome. I've been fog-bound this morning, so it was a fun diversion.

When I was studying for the 107 exam in early 2021, there were a couple of good discussion threads about online study resources. You might want to look through the archive for some of those links.

You're very welcome. I've been fog-bound this morning, so it was a fun diversion.

When I was studying for the 107 exam in early 2021, there were a couple of good discussion threads about online study resources. You might want to look through the archive for some of those links.
Good to know- thanks again. I have been sitting here all morning awaiting arrival of my Mavic 2 Pro from UPS and trying to prepare myself to fly.
Ray

I got ahold of a remote pilot test prep book and have been going through it and taking tests at the end of each chapter. So far I have not seen anything that makes me believe I need to spend a few hundred dollars for training on top of the $175 test fee. I agree it is probably a good idea to get the license and who knows, I might try to make a little extra cash in my retirement.

I was mostly confused as nothing I read from the FAA indicated that recreational pilots could not get Class D through LAANC authorization, which is generally considered to be not overly restrictive.

I have seen a lot of people do the self-study and had no problem passing the test. But the paid Pilot Institute course does teach you a lot more that the bare minimums you need to pass the test. I feel it was money well spent and feel more confident with the knowledge I have.

They were offering a discount when I signed up and threw in another free class. Pilot Institute often offers discounts and throws in additional classes for free. They are offering a discount now including a free Drone Maneuvers Mastery for $159.

I am not affiliate to them other than just being a student and being very happy with their course.

From what I understand, LAANC for recreational pilots is all about *automatic* approval authorization. If you need additional authorization to fly higher in a location where you are restricted, then you can do so outside the automatic authorization process. Not sure if the privileges ultimately available are different between recreational vs. commercial.
Recreational flyers cannot get permission to fly above the UASFM grid limits. That option is only available to 107 Holders.

I have seen a lot of people do the self-study and had no problem passing the test. But the paid Pilot Institute course does teach you a lot more that the bare minimums you need to pass the test. I feel it was money well spent and feel more confident with the knowledge I have.

They were offering a discount when I signed up and threw in another free class. Pilot Institute often offers discounts and throws in additional classes for free. They are offering a discount now including a free Drone Maneuvers Mastery for $159.

I am not affiliate to them other than just being a student and being very happy with their course.

Very well stated. I tell people,

"With most courses/study guides you are being programmed how to PASS the TEST. With Pilot Institute and Gold Deal, you are being taught the Subject Matter so you can apply it in Real-World scenarios going forward. Night and Day difference between those 2."

I too am about to take my Part 107 exam at the end of the month. I did the TheDroneCoach.io course and it is well worth the $49 to get the videos, PDFs and test quizzes and exams if nothing more to demystify the actual test. The true test will be if I pass the test on the 26th! I live in a 0ft area due east of a Class E airport (KACV) in northern California. The week I bought my drone the airport was closed for runway upgrades so I got spoiled being able to fly out my backyard. Now, well, I have to drive a little first.

Reactions: BigAl07
I too am about to take my Part 107 exam at the end of the month. I did the TheDroneCoach.io course and it is well worth the $49 to get the videos, PDFs and test quizzes and exams if nothing more to demystify the actual test. The true test will be if I pass the test on the 26th! I live in a 0ft area due east of a Class E airport (KACV) in northern California. The week I bought my drone the airport was closed for runway upgrades so I got spoiled being able to fly out my backyard. Now, well, I have to drive a little first.
I feel your pain, it is nice to be able to fly from your own yard. I am lucky that I am just outside a 0ft area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian