Local Media Gets Drone Reg Wrong

aerialnorthwest

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
aerialnorthwest.com
Aerial Northwest - KGW Error - Tony Marino Salem Oregon.jpg
Oregon Drone News | State Park Rules: Local News Error

This morning some drone pilots here in Oregon and beyond noticed a news story ran by a local news outlet (KGW) overtly claiming that it is current illegal to stake off or land from at Oregon State Park. This is NOT the case!

We reached out to KGW via email in order to draw their attention to the error and to have the story accurately revised.
Let us always be fervently observant and mindful when it comes to the craft craft and profession we've chosen and love so well!

KGW Story:
Where should drones be allowed to fly within Oregon state parks? Group drafting regulations.

Story Link:
https://www.kgw.com/.../283-1a7f85e0-7abc-4f87-b6c9...

FB Post:
https://aerialnorthwest

Reactions: SoCal2S
LIterally on their website right now. I can't find a way to contact them. You gotta wonder about a "news" agency that makes it difficult to contact them.

Saw your post in the Commercial FB group too Tony, thanks for spreading the word. Kenji sent me the article earlier, but we're both traveling today.

We'll try and get on it again tonight. I know Kenji called them before he left this morning.

Reactions: aerialnorthwest
Saw your post in the Commercial FB group too Tony, thanks for spreading the word. Kenji sent me the article earlier, but we're both traveling today.

We'll try and get on it again tonight. I know Kenji called them before he left this morning.
We are only as strong as our desire to remain focused upon situation awareness! Travel safe! Thanks so much for all you, Kenji, and so many intelligent drone pilots bring to the skies everyday! Much respect! Tony :cool: (I also sent a copy over to Greg at Pilot Institute as an FYI.)

Reactions: Vic Moss
LIterally on their website right now. I can't find a way to contact them. You gotta wonder about a "news" agency that makes it difficult to contact them.
I called them. They referred me to email: [email protected] Phone: 503-226-5000

My email communique to KGW:

Hello KGW News Desk!

I have already heard from other Oregon FAA certified drone pilots about an inaccuracy discovered on an online news story in the "Outdoor" section overtly claiming that it is illegal to fly in Oregon State Parks. There is no such blanket regulation at this time.

The article:

Where should drones be allowed to fly within Oregon state parks? Group drafting regulations:
Where should drones be allowed to fly within Oregon state parks? Group drafting regulations

Error:

"It’s currently illegal for drone users to take off and land within Oregon state parks."

This statement is inaccurate and should be corrected to reflect the actual rules and authority regarding drone flights from and within Oregon State Parks.

Questions? Please ring me direct at: 503-442-5454

In advance, thank you!

Best,

Tony

Tony Marino, MBA
co-Founder, FAA Certified sUAS Pilot

I called them. They referred me to email: [email protected] Phone: 503-226-5000

My email communique to KGW:

Hello KGW News Desk!

I have already heard from other Oregon FAA certified drone pilots about an inaccuracy discovered on an online news story in the "Outdoor" section overtly claiming that it is illegal to fly in Oregon State Parks. There is no such blanket regulation at this time.

The article:

Where should drones be allowed to fly within Oregon state parks? Group drafting regulations:
Where should drones be allowed to fly within Oregon state parks? Group drafting regulations

Error:

"It’s currently illegal for drone users to take off and land within Oregon state parks."

This statement is inaccurate and should be corrected to reflect the actual rules and authority regarding drone flights from and within Oregon State Parks.

Questions? Please ring me direct at: 503-442-5454

In advance, thank you!

Best,

Tony

Tony Marino, MBA
co-Founder, FAA Certified sUAS Pilot
Thanks. Left a "suggestion" on their FB page, and emailed them directly. We'll see....

Also, I just followed up with their news department. I was told that my request was received and has been forwarded to the web department for correction. I will be watching! ;-) Time: 1344 PDT

And now, KGW's response:

Hi Tony,

Thank you for contacting us. We pulled that story from one of our local news partners. We've unpublished the article while they correct the error. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

CELESTE RUIZ (SHE/HER)
Digital Director, KGW
1501 SW Jefferson St.
Portland, OR 97201
503-226-5166

[email protected]
www.kgw.com

###

I sure do appreciate the fact that they have removed the article so swiftly. Hopefully soon enough to keep many Oregon flyers from being misdirected - particularly with such a beautiful season upon us and many amazing parks and other places to take to the sky!

To fair skies, creative captures, and above all - safe flight! T ;-) (The UAV industry we grow and nurture is our own! I cherish that!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448
And my final response to KGW News pertaining to this matter: (I might as well get some earned-media out of the time invested helping them do their job better! :cool: (Don't laugh!!!)) (And YES! We truly do love KGW at the Marino Shanty!)

Email Response and Wrap-Up: (Time: 1508 PDT or 2308Z)

###

Hello Celeste!

Thank you so much for the swift action!

Sometimes things happen, but together we are more likely to overcome them! ;-)

That's why at our home, we trust KGW!!!

Keep up the great work!

If ever you need a UAV story or additional insight, please let me know! Anytime! I'm always here to help our community be best informed while supporting KGW's same-cause!

Aerial Northwest
https://AerialNorthwest.com

Recent Salem Project: Old Mill Creek Prison Property:

Direct phone: 503-442-5454

Thank you again!

Much gratitude,

Tony

Tony Marino, MBA
co-Founder, FAA Certified sUAS Commercial Pilot

###

And, finally, finally... Mission Accomplished!!!

kgw-404.png

Last edited:
Good work in getting bad information removed, hopefully they follow-up with better quality info.

So, since this has raised the issue, can you summarize what the regs actually ARE about flying drones in Oregon State Parks?

Asking for a friend... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Good work in getting bad information removed, hopefully they follow-up with better quality info.

So, since this has raised the issue, can you summarize what the regs actually ARE about flying drones in Oregon State Parks?

Asking for a friend... :rolleyes:

Thanks!
I wrote on the topic recently. Where Can You Fly Your Drone In Oregon? Also, this year's summer deadline came and went to establish smart Oregon State Park flight rules, though on tap for next year! Public comment stage is underway. For your friend, much love and fairest of skies! ;-)

Reactions: 4006448
Does anyone know whether the Oregon state park system took any interest in encouraging a correction? After all, it was their regulation which was misquoted.

View attachment 150932
Oregon Drone News | State Park Rules: Local News Error

This morning some drone pilots here in Oregon and beyond noticed a news story ran by a local news outlet (KGW) overtly claiming that it is current illegal to stake off or land from at Oregon State Park. This is NOT the case!

We reached out to KGW via email in order to draw their attention to the error and to have the story accurately revised.
Let us always be fervently observant and mindful when it comes to the craft craft and profession we've chosen and love so well!

KGW Story:
Where should drones be allowed to fly within Oregon state parks? Group drafting regulations.

Story Link:
https://www.kgw.com/.../283-1a7f85e0-7abc-4f87-b6c9...

FB Post:
https://aerialnorthwest
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum! Thanks for the info

Does anyone know whether the Oregon state park system took any interest in encouraging a correction? After all, it was their regulation which was misquoted.
Smart point! I'm not sure. Perhaps Vic or Kenji would better know that answer. Both gentlemen - in my opinion - adamantly care, remain well-connected, and know their stuff! My aerial agency has derived much knowledge and local UAV industry awareness from these passionate PNW flyers! ;-)

Last edited:
The press no longer facts checks they just publish whatever they want.

The press is impotent when it abandons itself to falsehood.
Thomas Jefferson

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111