DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Logan mat cutting devices

Rchawks

Reactions
I just purchased but haven't opened aa Logan 301-1 mat cutter and was looking for advice of anyone who mounts their own pictures in frames. I was also looking at the 350 and 450 and trying to determine which was best for me. I have 17 wood grain picture frames that have matting included but I'm not happy with the window size. Opinions please.:)F2BF005D-32CD-4A91-96B3-9967CCB8E2C2.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t cut my own mats in quite a while. I was cutting so few and I print mostly on canvas now, that it was easier just to get the frame shop to cut them for me, but I know it was nice to have a 40” machine as it would cut down the middle of a 30”x40” sheet. I’ve alway found with tools, you’re better off to buy once cry once and good tools hold their value if you ever want to sell.

I just purchased but haven't opened aa Logan 301-1 mat cutter and was looking for advice of anyone who mounts their own pictures in frames. I was also looking at the 350 and 450 and trying to determine which was best for me. I have 17 wood grain picture frames that have matting included but I'm not happy with the window size. Opinions please.:)View attachment 144548
Logan 450 without a doubt, will fit a full size mat board for cutting, have used mine for years and still very pleased with its results, cheers Len

Reactions: Rchawks and Starz
I just purchased but haven't opened aa Logan 301-1 mat cutter and was looking for advice of anyone who mounts their own pictures in frames. I was also looking at the 350 and 450 and trying to determine which was best for me. I have 17 wood grain picture frames that have matting included but I'm not happy with the window size. Opinions please.:)View attachment 144548
I've used a Logan 450 for 20 years. In the last 2 years a majority of prints have been on metal. Metal brings out lustrous tones, is easy to handle, lightweight and easy to hang.

Wifey wanted an image of mine printed 24x32 for a 32x40 wood frame with 4" matte borders. Went to cut bevel matte and followed old carpenter adage, measure twice cut once. To my dismay, the archival matte board ordered as 32x40 turns out to be 32 1/8 x 40 3/16. The Logan cutter could not be setup to trim the excess 40" side. Looking online, it appears the newest Logan 450 has the straight cutter and bevel cutter using the same side of the guide bar as opposed to the older having the cutters on opposite sides of the bar. This may be an improvement.

Reactions: Rchawks
Yeah, a local frame shop can cut anything reasonably priced for rare occasions a job needs something in a size the Logan can't take.
Most that have a need for a Logan type machine simply do adequately sized artworks and don't need larger capacity.

I'm not a framer, but supply many with my glass products and have dealt with the industry for over 20 years, and there are good value shops out there that are happy to help with cnc matt (mount) cutting capability, most shops now have a Wizard or Gunnar etc type cnc machine.

17 precut matts that came with the frames in my case. I got a quote for $15. plus tax. 15x17=$255 plus sales tax. These are just my display frame group. I bought the 301-1 for $69.00

As a photographer, I've found local frame shops to be quite expensive, that's why I suggested the internet. You can find mat supplier online that will cut any size you wish, as well as a multitude of stock sizes and colours, far cheaper than almost any local frame shops that offer mats and mat cutting.

Yeah, a local frame shop can cut anything reasonably priced for rare occasions a job needs something in a size the Logan can't take.
Most that have a need for a Logan type machine simply do adequately sized artworks and don't need larger capacity.

I'm not a framer, but supply many with my glass products and have dealt with the industry for over 20 years, and there are good value shops out there that are happy to help with cnc matt (mount) cutting capability, most shops now have a Wizard or Gunnar etc type cnc machine.apher, I found local framing shops were expensive compared to the costs you can find online, that's why I said the internet, in my response and not a local framing shop.

17 precut matts that came with the frames in my case. I got a quote for $15. plus tax. 15x17=$255 plus sales tax. These are just my display frame group. I bought the 301-1 for $69.00
If resizing those 17 mats is the extent of your mat cutting ambitions, then you have the right tool for the job!

Reactions: Rudiger and Rchawks
Small 8x10 mats are easy enough, but larger mats are problematic. I had a 350 and a 650, and access to a friends 860, and still made enough mistakes cutting mats that it would have been cheaper to buy them from a frame shop. I eventually sold my two.

Setting them up is vital, on some coloured mats even the slightest overcut on your bevel will stand out badly.
Measure twice, cut once, and usually all good, once you know how to set them up.

As said, most framers have either pro wall mount cutters, or even more commonly now cnc cutters.
Programme the mat board needs and it just cuts them in a minute, with no errors whatsoever.

Framing and matting pictures can get really expensive, and cutting mats can be quite a job. I never had a mat cutting machine but cut plenty just with a straight edge. I quite matting my photos and now just do it as part of the print. I make the picture the size I want and put a thin border around the picture then increase the canvas to fit the picture frame. You have to look closely to see that it is not a real mate. I also go to the local goodwill store and purchase used frames and reuse the frames. I can usually pick up some nice frames with glass for around $10.00

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25