DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro upgraded sensor?

Adamisprimal

Reactions
So I was working on my Mavic air and my mavic Pro and was wondering if it is not tall possible to install a higher quality or newer sensor in the Mavic Pro as to improve camera quality. Rate I will see if the Mavic air sensor has the same connector as the Mavic Pro and go from there.

Your drones Sensors have nothing to do with your Camera. The sensors simply emit and measure ultrasonic signals so your drone will not hit an object. The only way to improve camera quality is to Upgrade your drone to a newer model.

Last edited:
So I was working on my Mavic air and my mavic Pro and was wondering if it is not tall possible to install a higher quality or newer sensor in the Mavic Pro as to improve camera quality. Rate I will see if the Mavic air sensor has the same connector as the Mavic Pro and go from there.
You cannot change your drone's camera or upgrade your camera's sensor.
Your drones Sensors have nothing to do with your Camera. The sensors simply emit and measure ultrasonic signals so your drone will not hit an object. The only way to improve camera quality is to Upgrade your drone to a newer model.
The heart and soul of every digital camera is a sensor.
Look at the specs for your drone and you'll find something like this:
i-234HW9R-M.jpg

I was referring to the sensor in the camera, not the obstacle avoiding cameras.

• Wow
Reactions: Cafguy
You cannot change your drone's camera or upgrade your camera's sensor.

The heart and soul of every digital camera is a sensor.
Look at the specs for your drone and you'll find something like this:
i-234HW9R-M.jpg
Yeah I know this, I was just wondering if you could upgrade the sensor on a Mavic pro to increase aperture or megapixels or even sensor size.

Yeah I know this, I was just wondering if you could upgrade the sensor on a Mavic pro to increase aperture or megapixels or even sensor size.
Like I said in post #3 .. no, it's not possible.

Drones haven’t used ‘ultrasonic sensors’ for a long time. All current models use a combination of Infrared, IR-ToF and visual spectrum cameras.

Continuous development means most sensors or cameras are not compatible between models.

...I was just wondering if you could upgrade the sensor on a Mavic pro to increase aperture or megapixels or even sensor size.
Changing the sensor will not change the aperture as that is lens related... the f-number is a ratio of the focal length of the lens to the diameter of the aperture.

Furthermore... the lens also provide a circular lit up area that is fixed (on the focal length), so putting in a larger sensor area will mean that this larger sensor will not be completely lit up.

A few years ago there was a company customizing DJI drone cameras (can't remember their name for the life of me) but they seemed to specialize in lens replacement. They could jig the mav pro/platinum camera with a fixed focal length lens equivalent to 166mm (7x zoom). They also did I/R conversions and FLIR units for the mk#1 Mavic. Don't recall if they did anything with sensors, but I'll bet you a buck they tried.

Reactions: Adamisprimal
A few years ago there was a company customizing DJI drone cameras ...... Don't recall if they did anything with sensors, but I'll bet you a buck they tried.
That was Peau Productions.
They did lenses but nothing about sensors.
I've never heard of any company "upgrading" camera sensors.

That was Peau Productions.
They did lenses but nothing about sensors.
I've never heard of any company "upgrading" camera sensors.
Indeed. They also had a small selection of lenses for earlier DJI drones, but nothing that would support any of the 1” sensors, or upgrade the sensor itself.

Reactions: Adamisprimal

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav