DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro with my current RC-Pro

Kilboar

Reactions
I bought my Mavic 3 Pro with the RC-Pro a year ago with plans to just buy a mini 3 pro in the future for traveling a broad. Now I'm ready to pull the trigger and they have the mini 4 pro but I'm not seeing it w/o a controller.

Do they sell it without a controller or should I buy another controller?
Maybe the RC-N2 to keep it light weight for travel?
Or bite the bullet and have two complete drones with a screen controllers so I don't have to use my iPhone?

Things that make you go Hmmm.

I wish it did work with my Air 3, I love my RC pro. Battery life literally for days, and I like the way it feels in my hands. But the RC Pro hardware is not capable of O4 transmission which is what the Mini 4 Pro and Air 3 use.

Is it just me or is that messed up?
It is likely when the RC Pro was conceived, the future technology known as O4 was not yet developed. Sounds ideal to make the remote controllers forward compatible for future technologies but that involves extra time and cost and more advanced planning. Unfortunately the consumer/commercial drone industry hasn't yet risen to the that level of sophistication....likely never. Other technologies such as software-defined radios will have to be relied upon to make this happen. The opposite is probably true as well, don't expect the new controllers coming out today and tomorrow to be able to work on older O3 technology.

Reactions: Kilboar
@Kilboar maybe consider getting a Mini 3 Pro. It works perfectly with the RC Pro and has the same camera as the Mini 4. Other than not having the omnidirectional obstacle avoidance and a few software tweaks like waypoints and a few others there is no real difference and you will have all the advantages of the RC Pro.

Chris

Is it just me or is that messed up?
I do understand that O4 technology wasn't available when the RC-Pro came out. But for as much as I paid for the RC-Pro, I was not happy that it isn't compatible with the latest aircraft. Also the RC Pro was better. Brighter/ better screen, bigger battery, and could run 3rd party apps.

@Kilboar maybe consider getting a Mini 3 Pro. It works perfectly with the RC Pro and has the same camera as the Mini 4. Other than not having the omnidirectional obstacle avoidance and a few software tweaks like waypoints and a few others there is no real difference and you will have all the advantages of the RC Pro.

Chris
Great idea.

And their like $300

Reactions: Chrislaf
I wish it did work with my Air 3, I love my RC pro. Battery life literally for days, and I like the way it feels in my hands. But the RC Pro hardware is not capable of O4 transmission which is what the Mini 4 Pro and Air 3 use.

FYI it's not the hardware. The RC Pro contains a Software Defined Radio (like virtually all transceivers these days) and could be programmed to support O4.

It's how the Motion Controller 2 was updated to support the Mini 4 Pro.

DJI just doesn't want to for some reason. Some here opine it's to sell more RC2 to make money. I doubt that, given the size of DJI. I think it more likely strategic, having to do with product road map issues, maybe a replacement next-gen high-end RC Pro.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne