DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini3 Pro FlySafe update failing — I've been grounded for a week!

jamesfrankham

Reactions
DJI replaced my Mini3-Pro due to constant lens fogging. I have a brand new drone, never flown—and maybe never will—because it says "Unable to take-off" due to a requirement to update the FlySafe database... but it won't update no matter what I try.

Using the controller it happily downloads the update and starts 'transferring' at 40%, but there it stops, just won't go any further. Using DJI Assistant it also downloads fine but gets to install and stops 'Update Failed'. One is over the air, the other method a physical USB-C connection. I have updated firmware over the same connection (yes latest firmware) without a problem.

The issue has been to the reseller and to DJI but no one can solve it. I'm on location in a remote part of Fiji and need to be shooting, but I'm grounded, only because the FlySafe database won't update—it's driving me crazy as you might expect.

Any ideas?

DJI replaced my Mini3-Pro due to constant lens fogging. I have a brand new drone, never flown—and maybe never will—because it says "Unable to take-off" due to a requirement to update the FlySafe database... but it won't update no matter what I try.

Using the controller it happily downloads the update and starts 'transferring' at 40%, but there it stops, just won't go any further. Using DJI Assistant it also downloads fine but gets to install and stops 'Update Failed'. One is over the air, the other method a physical USB-C connection. I have updated firmware over the same connection (yes latest firmware) without a problem.

The issue has been to the reseller and to DJI but no one can solve it. I'm on location in a remote part of Fiji and need to be shooting, but I'm grounded, only because the FlySafe database won't update—it's driving me crazy as you might expect.

Any ideas?
Which controller are you using? RC or RCN1?
I've read reports of the RC spitting the dummy over firmware updates - try formatting the microSD in the controller before another attempt. If you have a mobile signal, try linking the controller with your phone as a hotspot to provide a data link.

Regarding lens fogging: I had exactly the same issue until I purchased a K&F CONCEPTS U.V filter and replaced the silly lens hood fitted as standard. It acts as a barrier in front of the outer casing glass which reduces the temperature differential between the casing glass and the lens: result.... no more fogging.

Last edited:
I have an RC controller. I followed your suspicion and formatted cards on both controller and drone. Same deal—Update Failed.

Though the drone has never flown, is there anything that should be reset? The controller was from the previous MM3P, but paired with this one—anything to try there?

DJI just shrug.

Ten days later, DJI says "we got feedback from our engineer that there is no solution currently and the issue has a close relationship with the latitude and longitude". My new drone is bricked because it won't update in any location I have tried it in, on any connection. Is there any way to escalate a problem like this?

So you screwed something up and now we have to get a firmware update, lol jk.

I am glad it got resolved, sound’s frustrating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne