DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Misbalanced battery cell voltages

Bob4131

Reactions
I know that at some point if the cell voltages are too far out of balance, the battery should be retired. How much of a mismatch in battery cell voltages is the cutoff that you use? I have seen 0.3V, 0.2V, 0.15V,....down to 0.01V. I sent an email to DJI and after they referred to their engineers, the answer was not to use the battery if the cells are "significantly" different in voltage and then gave me a paragraph telling me to dispose of them properly - not real helpful.
Does anyone know the correct guideline and why? I have read speculation that DJI software shuts down the drone if the battery cell voltages differ by more than 0.3V. Also my understanding is that hard use of the battery, for example : slamming the sticks forward or back in sport mode can exacerbate the cell voltage difference, but again - I have no numbers......
Finally, any way to recondition misbanced cells to extend battery life? Thanks

This is a great question and I am looking forward to the answers from the experts. The other day, I had a nearly 0.1V deviation for the first time in one cell in a relatively new battery with 17 cycles. Air Data flagged it in red and I took a closer look at the log. I had both right and left sticks full up at the time (In a foolish attempt to climb as I went forward). So it seems to me "slamming the sticks" as you put it may indeed stress the battery. But I am fully aware that one does not make a data point and look forward to hearing from others.

Edit: According to AirData, this is what constitutes a major deviation
Screenshot_2019-05-14 Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic