DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My First Crack at using DaVinci Resolve 12.5

dsd317

Reactions
Sat in the back seat and flew Mavic manually. Did not use POI or Active Tracking.

First time using DaVinci. Only editing on this video was reducing length of footage and covering rear license plate with tracking. Other than that, video came straight-out-of-Mavic. My render settings were set to YouTube 1080p. Not sure exactly what that did.

Reactions: RollingRob
Looks Great. I've just started using Resolve, it's quite complicated I've only touched the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thanks! And yes...it's a bit complicated, especially when shortcut keys and panning in the viewer while zoomed in doesn't work as they should. Apparently, it's because I'm on a macbook pro using its' trackpad. Supposedly, I need a mouse.

Other than that, I like that it's free and there are lots of youtube vidoes on how to do things.

My PC's and Macbook Pro really struggles, you need fast SSD drives and a good graphics card. I'm only doing simple stuff with complicated output needs like Cinematic 2.4:1 wide-screen videos. Resolve is quite easy to do that. It's easy to straighten the horizon which I seem to get inconsistently tilted on the P4.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Sat in the back seat and flew Mavic manually. Did not use POI or Active Tracking.

First time using DaVinci. Only editing on this video was reducing length of footage and covering rear license plate with tracking. Other than that, video came straight-out-of-Mavic. My render settings were set to YouTube 1080p. Not sure exactly what that did.

By
Great job, at
mercer field!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: dsd317
Hey we will have to get together and fly when I get back in town next week. Got my mavic in, read and notated the manual 2-3 times front to back, viewed numerous YouTube videos a few times each but was still hesitant to lift off. I was feeling rushed to get the maiden voyage done before I left town yesterday, that I opted to wait. Good way to wreck the mavic, nerves and rushing. I'll try to get some time in before getting home next week.

Hey we will have to get together and fly when I get back in town next week. Got my mavic in, read and notated the manual 2-3 times front to back, viewed numerous YouTube videos a few times each but was still hesitant to lift off. I was feeling rushed to get the maiden voyage done before I left town yesterday, that I opted to wait. Good way to wreck the mavic, nerves and rushing. I'll try to get some time in before getting home next week.

Absolutely! Definitely, best not to rush. Just let me know when you're ready to fly.

Would love to see more from you using your Mavic footage in Da Vinci resolve. I've been trying to get to grips with it too, but now with my new Mavic it's like I'm throwing 2 bowls of spaghetti into each other - so many options!!

Would love to see more from you using your Mavic footage in Da Vinci resolve. I've been trying to get to grips with it too, but now with my new Mavic it's like I'm throwing 2 bowls of spaghetti into each other - so many options!!

I haven't had much time to mess around with DaVinci resolve. There's a lot more for me to learn, so I went back to Final Cut Pro. As soon as I can make the time, I'll definitely give DaVinci another try. The free version is really a great video editing program, as long as you take the time to learn its' potential.

The key to any video software is to stick with it. There is nothing wrong with FCP, especially when you already know it. I would still be using it if I were on a Mac still. But with PC I have Premiere Pro, and have gotten good-enough for now, but have spent many hours watching tutorials on one screen and duplicating them on the other. There are tons of tutorial videos on YouTube for all of the editors. DaVinci Resolve is a powerful tool, once you get a handle on it - and there are plenty of tutorials as well.

Reactions: spoonlamp
The key to any video software is to stick with it. There is nothing wrong with FCP, especially when you already know it. I would still be using it if I were on a Mac still. But with PC I have Premiere Pro, and have gotten good-enough for now, but have spent many hours watching tutorials on one screen and duplicating them on the other. There are tons of tutorial videos on YouTube for all of the editors. DaVinci Resolve is a powerful tool, once you get a handle on it - and there are plenty of tutorials as well.

Agreed - can be a shame to spend a deal of time on one system just to walk away from it in the hopes something else, very similar, will give better results, not realising what you're actually looking for is quicker results, without the investment of time.

Before I spend too much time on Davinci Resolve though, I'm a bit worried about doing something similar with it - I don't have any decent programs that will edit raw photos, so buying a version of Adobe Premiere Elements with Photoshop Elements seems to be my best direction...any advice on making that swap?

That's completely up to you. Keep in mind there are other applications out there that can edit RAW photos.
RawTherapee Blog is a quick and dirty version of Lightroom. Does well for quick edits and exports.

I would spend more time in DaVinci and learn its limits on the free side before deciding to go buy something. You will miss the color correction ease of Davinci if you move out of it to something else (exception with Lumetri in Premiere Pro)

But, it's up to you. Personally, I would do the $9/mo for Photoshop/Lightroom and pay the year on Premiere Pro ($230/yr). I went ahead and went that route for myself even though I am not getting money for any of this.

I've lost myself now. As an interim before potentially buying Premiere and Photoshop Elements next month I looked for a freebie (I'm hardly pro anyway so...) I did a quick search for free RAW photo processing software and read that GIMP is highly recommended. I dutifully downloaded GIMP only to find that it doesn't work with the DNG files of the Mavic. You need to download something else (UFRaw) to make it work. So I did that, only to be greeted by error messages whenever UFRaw tries to start. So now I'm downloading RawTherapee, probably to have the same horror story...this why paying for full versions of things is usually better...

After installing RAWTherapee I've immediately un-installed the other 2. Therapee is great, so much to get out of these DNG files, but also helps highlight my focussing issues ;D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima