DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Guy Here and I’m nervous with this thing

Beligerent

Reactions
Hey all... Thank God for this forum and all the online help and tutorials out there. I just got a mavic the other day and this thing feels intimidating. I have a couple of out of the gate questions I’m sure you guys have solved and wanted your input.

The first is: Is there a better option for mounting my IPhone 7 Plus in the remote. Sliding it in is tight and getting the controller cable in seems tricky. I have to remove it from the thin case i have it in which makes the phone a drop hazard when removing it from the controller. I dont like how the right controller arm presses against the camera lenses either. Is there a better bracket maybe?

Also: I’m having a hard time getting accustomed to the rotational aspect of it. Is that something that goes away with practice? First Post and I appreciate all the help and encouragement I can get.

-Norm

Hey all... Thank God for this forum and all the online help and tutorials out there. I just got a mavic the other day and this thing feels intimidating. I have a couple of out of the gate questions I’m sure you guys have solved and wanted your input.

The first is: Is there a better option for mounting my IPhone 7 Plus in the remote. Sliding it in is tight and getting the controller cable in seems tricky. I have to remove it from the thin case i have it in which makes the phone a drop hazard when removing it from the controller. I dont like how the right controller arm presses against the camera lenses either. Is there a better bracket maybe?

Also: I’m having a hard time getting accustomed to the rotational aspect of it. Is that something that goes away with practice? First Post and I appreciate all the help and encouragement I can get.

-Norm
Howdy from Wyoming Beligerent, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: Beligerent

-Norm

There are other mounting solutions ... Mavmount is one but do a Google serch ..

As for control questions yes this will improve over time best thing to do is fly in a nice big open space until your confidence and control ability improves.

Enjoy your new Mavic most of all.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome to the forum! :)

Is there a better option for mounting my IPhone 7 Plus in the remote. Sliding it in is tight and getting the controller cable in seems tricky.
If you want to keep it in the case, you could remove or cut down the inserts in the Mavic remote controller arms like this.

Or you could use a 90 degree Lightning cable (like this one) and wedge your iPhone between the Mavic remote controller arms. It's not a safe as sliding the phone into the arms, but the arms hold my phone pretty well like this:

Lightning-Cable-1.jpg

Lightning-Cable-2.jpg

Lightning-Cable-3.jpg

Lightning-Cable-4.jpg

If you want to use a mount instead, you can find a list of commonly used Mavic remote controller mounts here.

I’m having a hard time getting accustomed to the rotational aspect of it. Is that something that goes away with practice?
Yes. The more you practice, the easier it'll be. Eventually, it'll just come naturally to you (like riding a bike).

Reactions: copterbob
Hello Norm and WELCOME to the forum and to the hobby/addiction. It's a BLAST so get ready!

Yes you can get a mounting plate that goes where your phone is and then it mounts your phone above the controller. IMHO this is a better solution for mounting but a required one if you decide to move up to a larger option such as an iPad or tablet.

I'm using a MavMount and LOVE it!! See link below:
DJI Mavic and Spark iPad Tablet Adapter Mount - MavMount

This does add more "bulk" to what is designed as a small form factor and streamlined system but I think it is a POSITIVE upgrade all the way around.

There are other brands and styles but this one gets high reviews daily.

Yes with time you completely forget about "concentrating" on Orientation and it becomes 2nd nature. I've had students who pick this up in a few flights and I've had others who took dozens of flights before it just "clicked" inside. One day you'll be flying and you'll say," Woa... I Was just flying it towards me with not even thinking about orientation".

Hang in there and enjoy!! It's a LOT of fun!

Safe Flights and again welcome to the forum.

...The first is: Is there a better option for mounting my IPhone 7 Plus in the remote. Sliding it in is tight and getting the controller cable in seems tricky. I have to remove it from the thin case i have it in which makes the phone a drop hazard when removing it from the controller. I dont like how the right controller arm presses against the camera lenses either. Is there a better bracket maybe?

-Norm
First of all, welcome! Regarding the phone, there are a number of phone/tablet holders available that you can get if you don't like the way it works now. You will probably want to use a tablet anyway to get the bigger display.

As for the rotational aspect, experience will make you more comfortable in time. Use it in an open space and keep it in Beginner mode for a while while you practice. I set mine in Tripod mode and kept it close until I got the feel of the sticks.

welcome to the forum , a lot of good people with a wealth of knowledge ,i belong to spark,mavic and typhoon h. and everyone has been helpful. also youtube has a lot of video tutorials. one i found realy helpful was one on video settings. happy flying...

Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome!

Before I picked up a dedicated Mavic phone (old one I bought from a friend for $40), I used my S7 in its case just like in msinger's pics above, but still using the included short cable. I was concerned at first about it slipping out, but as msinger said, it holds it just fine. To help in plugging the cable into the phone, I pulled that end out of the controller arm and plugged it into the phone before clamping the phone between the arms.

As the others have mentioned, you will become more comfortable with the orientation with experience. What I haven't seen mentioned yet is to start by practicing moving around with the Mavic nose pointing away from you. This way it will move the same direction you move the sticks. And for rotation, one way is to think of moving the nose of the Mavic ... move the stick left, and the Mavic will rotate its nose to the left. When this becomes disorienting is when you're flying nose-in (Mavic point toward you). Then all of the controls (except for up and down obviously) are backward. What might help with rotation is to think clockwise and counter-clockwise, rather than right and left. Move the stick to the right and the Mavic rotates clockwise, as viewed from the top. Doesn't matter which way it's pointing then.

Once you become comfortable with flying with it pointing away from you, start practicing with the Mavic pointing to one side, then the other. And eventually with it nose-in. Just remember, practice in an area with plenty of open area and if you get in trouble, let go of the sticks and the Mavic will stop and hover.

Good luck and have fun!

I recommend prop guards, and practicing proper parallel stick turns.

Right turn:
Right stick up
Then add right stick to the right.
Then slowly add left stick, to the right.
That produces a smooth banking right turn with proper heading.

Left turn:
Right stick up
Add right stick to the left
Slowly add left stick to left.

Then practice figure 8s. This will teach brain proper controls in all possible orientations.

Here is a video of me practicing in my app:

Notice paralell sticks for turns.
Also, keep altitude steady (left stick vertically centered) while turning left and right. Its good to learn so when flying close over water, if you bank a turn you dont want to drop altitude into the water.

Cheers, happy flying!

P.s.Do not fly over water yet.

Last edited:
If this is your first drone, you may want to consider picking up a cheap toy drone to practice the orientation thing. Better to learn and make mistakes on a $30 drone than a $1000 drone!

When I use my iPad Mini I use a MavMount. When I use my iPhone 8 Plus I use this.

DJI Mavic Phone Mount

It will hold phone with a case. I then use the USB on the bottom of the RC.

As for intimidation factor, I’m 30 days into flying a Mavic. With each flight I get more confident to fly further and higher. I’m currently got a comfort level at 1200’ and 200’ High. I’ve got over two dozen flights in, and the connection is always rock solid. Just get out and fly as much as you can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre