DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie here with IMU calibration ?

hammick

Reactions
I a new MPP owner. I have about 20 flights under my belt.

I updated the DJI Go 4 app on my Samsung S7 so I decided to calibrate the IMU. I did it just like the screen showed and it was successful. Then I started thinking that maybe I should have held the drone level on the sides and butt down calibration. If you just set it on the table the drone is not level when on it's sides or butt.

For IMU calibration should all five steps be with the drone resting on the table or should it be held level?

Thanks for any help.

PS: Here is a shot of where I will get to fly a lot. I'm a lucky SOB

TUuigmD1Fu513eySbLjxOvU5BjNADC4Lau0dmxvwGbA7X8v05d3p0dGybQ9klDFSDXhR3s0j818SBK6qPmjt77TChi-rRmS2Ak9DxvQvX8Gh0YuIM2FrSrIPXKfbKHx7fHtEIx7I8TgMJWGOQBa4PCWUSm9sxW9vcqhdEByeRoDFSuNFtw1F9Vl2LyuR1BFF1UaD_uraNAzRColXV0_GI59mEl90LgAHCP7h7KzV9Cgg0NX52wEjsobOAxKprr2DGpVdXvubCQwxjKAfllm-Oo2tpUMqLCuSCqSODuEzSJpnjj33yDtOGw449-gfOHG0YptbvWsx9p_adbSeC2HvYMkW5d8aA64CY6YheNDGwouoPv0ciQxY-H3vXP846OUx6NBUY1PmZeEkL5-wZeo_Vor9Mav6xakuXzhGCxOpWcPUKcHUGX8-QXEOpM-70Yo7x9dGZ3WWHZCXF5ikmWxxeQ_CWYdngcYbj3ObtkcBL71Ls47aJ1Pk-0A69q7_nARWu0qHNtIi2OhZpxiV51nyq0SA05yjQwY0lH6V3odu411b7ZVR-vsgbEYlpjUXBSwDIPSa3BYweibU5ZGgJjS-LkQ2y9ZtBbElQ-iiOwnHk0mnZyLjWsZf7zzSSMBmBSaJSg4nCFNGAKZoIloCkTfZPDF6R-2vNxyqknQ=w1028-h770-no

For IMU calibration should all five steps be with the drone resting on the table or should it be held level?
The IMU calibration should be done like this:

Doesn't matter, the important thing is that you don't touch it while it's doing each step - it's averaging accelerometer/gyroscope samples over several seconds, if you hold it "level" with your hands, the samples will be all over the place.

You should never hold the Mavic when performing the IMU calibration.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I would never do an IMU calibration unless prompted to do so or I had noticed an issue in my pre flight compass & Stability check.

Last edited:
I would never do an IMU calibration unless prompted to do so or I had noticed an issue in my pre flight compass check.
The compass has nothing to do with the IMU. If there is an issue with the compass then recalibrate just the compass. IMU recalibration is rarely needed, just if GO4 asks for it or if you are experiencing drifting while VPS is disabled or altitude is more than VPS range.

my question is when i do a IMU calibration it looks all good then the next day i fly.... my IMU will show 2, 3 and one will be like at 24 or 12 something then eventually go back down.... so im just confused why it does this?? "when i look at my IMU settings"

Because these are internal workings of a complex machine, no need to try to decipher it.

Wait... what if those are bitcoin codes?! :D

No like meaning when i just did IMU calibartion and all my levels are 0-3 then next day one of IMU Sensors will be like 12 or 20.... so curious why it would do this... I just don't want my drone drifting or get messed up the air

No like meaning when i just did IMU calibartion and all my levels are 0-3 then next day one of IMU Sensors will be like 12 or 20.... so curious why it would do this... I just don't want my drone drifting or get messed up the air

Because these are internal workings of a complex machine, no need to try to decipher it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx