DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noise question

Gramps44

Reactions
Noise question, I flew my Air 2 early this morning. It was dead quiet and still outside. I notice how much prop noise there is. I can hear the noise when the drone is 200 above me. Is this normal? I have a small ding in one prop and wonder if that is making extra noise. I found props online that claim they are "quieter"........ is that a true claim?

Last edited:
The ding in the prop is really not adding much if any to the noise. If the drone is above you and the air flow is moving downward it would stand to reason that the prop noise would take a downward trajectory as well.

Is the ding in the prop on the leading edge, trailing edge or tip of the prop? If it's something you can smooth out with a fingernail file or sandpaper I would recommend doing so if you think it provides any additional drag. The drag will make that one motor work a bit harder. If it were me I'd change out the prop and keep the damaged one as a spare.

Reactions: Gramps44
Hearing an MA2 at 200 above you is normal - 400 even. If I'm flying at top speed, I can hear it pretty far out.

The "quieter" props reduce some noise but mostly just shift it to a deeper, more pleasing tone. The Master Screw tests for the MA2 on YT only show a few decibels reduction.

A 3 db reduction is half the perceived sound level. So a few db reduction would be significant.
Also, lose that prop. A nick will eventually lead to a fracture and a possible failure. Why risk your drone for a few dollar Prop?

Reactions: Gramps44
I have the Master Airscrew Props on My Mini 2 and My Mavic Air. and when my Mavic Air 2 comes next week It will get a set of Master Airscrew Props. The Master Airscrew props are a little quieter but the real noise reduction is in the Pitch. The OEM props have a Higher pitch, the Airscrews Pitch is lower so it is not as noticeable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman