DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstical avoidance

PoonDog

Reactions
Well, I have my Mavic Air in route fromAmazon and I have watched videos until my eyes cross trying to figure out everything there is to know about this aircraft. Tier able to figure things out.Not easy for ease I am an old guyHopefully it will be here in a couple days and Iwill be be here and will be mor able to figure it out when it is in hand.Im old and slow , but, I will get it. My question for today is “ dose the obstical avoidance system work like terrainavidance? In other words, if I am cruising along at two meters above ground and the ground rises will the aircraft maintain height? Plowing into a berm really sucks.
Thanks, I am a new I, 4 years old and have bee flying for a couple months. About 20 hrs on the clock. Wrecked one, panicked and lost another to the top of a fir tree. Both of grede drones so no bi loss. I am nw flying a s70w and getting in as. Much ractice as I can before stepping up. I don’t think it is a bad thing to learn to fly a$100.00 drone in the wind before jumping into a $1000.00 investment.
Anyway , any suggestions will be welcome
thank

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Obstacle avoidance doesn’t work correctly 100% of the time. Sometimes it will detect objects that are not there.

A couple of weeks ago, my Mavic Air was hanging over a cliff and wouldn’t come back to me because it detected an object that wasn’t there. It was close enough that I caught it over the edge of the cliff, but if it wasn’t, I would have turned off the sensors so I could land.

Obstacle avoidance is a great safety feature, but I would not rely on it, especially in the situation you described. In low light situations, or over snow, or over water, the drone has attempted to land itself... not good when you are over a lake or river.

unfortunately as stated in other posts the obstacle avoidance is in my opinion a selling point for the drone that is somewhat overstated by the maker, the best obstacle avoidance,is the person flying the drone not putting themselves in a situation where they are relying on the drone to not hit something and crash, just my thoughts on the subject,and i will probably be vilified for saying it.

I believe it will at the height you list (1-2 meters) not sure about an “absolute” question though. The answer may be in the full manual for your drone, found here:
BTW, Welcome to the forum.
I really have to pay more attention to my typeing. I read my post and I dont even know what I was saying. Im not 4 years old, im 74 years old. Totaly agree with old man Mavic. Thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: Bobvt and Thomas B
I have wished for a feature that one might call terrain awareness for a long time. This would mean that you could tell the Mavic to fly, for example, 6 feet above the ground (terrain) send it up a hill and have it stay 6 feet from the ground. I believe this feature was promised in the past but never came to reality. I know of an old pioneer wagon trail that goes up a steep hill for a thousand feet or so. Sending the Mavic up that hill photographing the trail and maintaining a constant 6 feet above the trail would be very useful. However, the drone will not do that. It will fly into the hill 6 feet above take off or stop because it senses an obstacle. For now, the pilot must constantly adjust the altitude as the Mavic goes up the hill. This is not an easy thing to do.

I have wished for a feature that one might call terrain awareness for a long time. This would mean that you could tell the Mavic to fly, for example, 6 feet above the ground (terrain) send it up a hill and have it stay 6 feet from the ground. I believe this feature was promised in the past but never came to reality. I know of an old pioneer wagon trail that goes up a steep hill for a thousand feet or so. Sending the Mavic up that hill photographing the trail and maintaining a constant 6 feet above the trail would be very useful. However, the drone will not do that. It will fly into the hill 6 feet above take off or stop because it senses an obstacle. For now, the pilot must constantly adjust the altitude as the Mavic goes up the hill. This is not an easy thing to do.

I believe this can be done using Virtual Litchi Mission and Google Earth, although 6' AFL might be a little low.
See it on YouTube here
and here

Reactions: zzxrox